Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Like Sunday Morning

Options
  • 20-04-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I noticed on Facebook that the Richard Dawkins Foundation had a feature about what people do on Sunday mornings instead of going to a place of worship. I thought it might make an interesting thread (and apologies if it’s been done before).

I get up around 9, tend to ablutions and breakfast, and then either whip out the auld textbooks myself or give the kids an English lesson. Not always, though; sometimes we play board games (Monopoly, Scrabble and Risk being popular choices that are in no way indicative of our paucity of board games). Then we start getting ready for lunch. All in all, usually a very relaxed morning.

How about the rest of ye godless?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Most Sundays two of mine have swimming. At 8 a.m. On Sundays. Mass would nearly be preferable.

After swimming one daughter usually has a camogie match. But not this Sunday. I only got up at ten. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Depends on whether I'm nursing a hangover or not.
    This morning I was, so I didn't get up til 10. Just now finished a lesiurely breakfast. Maria Callas was the soundtrack :)
    If I wasn't hungover, I'd have been up about 8 and would have some writing or reading done before starting breakfast for everyone around ten.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Usually up about 8am either to go for an extended walk in Marlay park with youngest and her new mutt, or go cycling. If I've a good book, I'll read in bed for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

My lie-in day is Saturday so Sunday morning is usually starting from 6:30 on when the twin 2 year old lads wake up, followed by the 4 year old lad a bit later. Usually, the morning is spent being jumped on, trampled, tickled, playing games and generally having a laugh until the other half wakes up.
    This weekend however, was the beginning of toilet training so all of the above with a smartie treat for any of the twins that used the potty.

Infinitely more fulfilling than chanting to an old man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

smacl wrote: »
    Usually up about 8am either to go for an extended walk in Marlay park with youngest and her new mutt, or go cycling. If I've a good book, I'll read in bed for a few hours.

Our paths have probably crossed!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The notion of getting out of bed before noon on a Sunday amuses me :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Sundays.

If it's my turn for the Sunday lie in then it's sleep till 10:D

If not

Little bump wakes about 7ish so it's downstairs with him, make breakfast for him and coffee (very important i get my coffee :) ) and then in to dining room to eat. After brekkie he will usually watch tv (Jake and the neverland pirates are flavour of this month) and i will check emails/news/boards/thunderdome and spend an hour trying to wake up:).

Half nine breakfast for me and herself, eat healthy all week but Sunday morning is 2 sausages, 2 rashers, scrambled egg and 2 toast (i've earned it!). While that's cooking it's a run around to the shop for the paper and then breakfast/more coffee/read.

Little bump goes for a sleep from 12 - 1 and then it's off out (weather depending on where) today was the zoo. Beats listening to someone who doesn't know me tell me how i am a sinner and going to hell unless i pray to some "God" and beg for forgiveness for something i haven't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

I am usually woken up by crying or calls of mammy or daddy. I get up, change nappies, and make porridge for all of us and tea for myself. I normally read a few children's books, help with duplo or jigsaws.

My wife normally is up by nine thirty, and if the weather is not driving rain we go for a walk. On the way home we get an old fashioned paper, put the kids to bed for a nap, and have a read with coffee.

Sometimes the walk is after the coffee, depending on how tired they are.

One of the most enjoyable times of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oops misread OP.

My morning:
    Play Pokemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Wake up,meditate or do some back exercises, check magicseaweed if it's giving 3plus star's it's worth heading out.
    Look out of my window and marvel at the Gentians flowering in the Burren...
    Have breakfast and hit the slabs or beach breaks of Co Clare....
    This morning was honking,clean sets coming from a northerly direction straight into the reef in Lahinch. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I usually don't get outta bed until noon every Sunday, or if i'm wide awake and don't feel like getting out of bed, i usually read a book or put the stereo on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

If I'm not at work, she gets breakfast made for her and then I would normally have a game of rugby to go to (three lads at various ages of mini-rugby). If is the rare occasion I'm not away with one of them then I would have band practice.

If I have been working late the previous night, I get to stay in bed until ten.

Geomy wrote: »
    Wake up,meditate or do some back exercises, check magicseaweed if it's giving 3plus star's it's worth heading out.
    Look out of my window and marvel at the Gentians flowering in the Burren...
    Have breakfast and hit the slabs or beach breaks of Co Clare....
    This morning was honking,clean sets coming from a northerly direction straight into the reef in Lahinch. ...

Just back from a week in Doolin, fantastic weather on the Burren ok. Sad to leave tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I generally get up about 7.30 or 8am and end up doing a easy 10 or 15mile run most Sundays,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Sundays, my fella is usually over so I get no lie-in (he has an annoying habit of waking a 6) and get up with him to do something around the place when he's here to give me a helping hand. Yesterday it was rebuilding a short bit of wall by the gate that I had knocked by a digger that was working next door. Then into the polytunnel to soak up some heat do some gardening. Then on to visit friends for a barbecue, yay! What a great Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

smacl wrote: »
    Just back from a week in Doolin, fantastic weather on the Burren ok. Sad to leave tbh.

Yeah, I don't realise how lucky I am to be living in such a nice place.

Glad you enjoyed your stay :-)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Up around 9, breakfast, long run or long cycle. Home in time for any and all sport that happens to appear on the tellybox from around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I usually get up around 6.30 when the kids wake up. I'm always hungover so I plonk them down in front of a DVD in the sitting room with a bag of crisps and loads of chocolate and go back to bed for a few hours.

When sound of the kids fighting and crying gets loud enough to disturb my sleep, I get up again and let them play video games for a few hours while I play poker online and pick a few horses to bet on later on

When the off license opens at 12.30 (feckin religious holy hour licensing laws) I get 3 litre bottle of cider and have a bit of the hairy dog to sort myself out.

If it's not raining I shove the kids out the door to go amuse themselves for a few hours. There are some older kids that they like to hang around with. I give them some money to spend in the shop so that keeps them happy

The kids usually come back when they're hungry about 2pm so we walk down to the chipper and I treat them to a burger and chips while i run into the bookies to place a few bets

By 3pm I'm usually a bit drunk so I just finish off the cider and fall asleep on the couch. The kids usually wake me up around 4 or 5pm when they're hungry again so I get them some cornflakes or something and they watch Dora the explorer for a while. They usually fall asleep on the couch around 6 or 7pm so I carry them down to bed and open a bottle of wine to unwind after my day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Get up around 7 or 8, maybe watch a film or have a bath. Might have a quick snack before heading to the supermarket, if lucky we're back by 11/11:30 and start the roast.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    I usually get up around 6.30 when the kids wake up. I'm always hungover so I plonk them down in front of a DVD in the sitting room with a bag of crisps and loads of chocolate and go back to bed for a few hours.

When sound of the kids fighting and crying gets loud enough to disturb my sleep, I get up again and let them play video games for a few hours while I play poker online and pick a few horses to bet on later on

When the off license opens at 12.30 (feckin religious holy hour licensing laws) I get 3 litre bottle of cider and have a bit of the hairy dog to sort myself out.

If it's not raining I shove the kids out the door to go amuse themselves for a few hours. There are some older kids that they like to hang around with. I give them some money to spend in the shop so that keeps them happy

The kids usually come back when they're hungry about 2pm so we walk down to the chipper and I treat them to a burger and chips while i run into the bookies to place a few bets

By 3pm I'm usually a bit drunk so I just finish off the cider and fall asleep on the couch. The kids usually wake me up around 4 or 5pm when they're hungry again so I get them some cornflakes or something and they watch Dora the explorer for a while. They usually fall asleep on the couch around 6 or 7pm so I carry them down to bed and open a bottle of wine to unwind after my day.
    Where do you find the time? I feel kind of inadequate and lazy. What in the name of Dawkins am I doing with my life at all?!?

endacl wrote: »
    Where do you find the time? I feel kind of inadequate and lazy. What in the name of Dawkins am I doing with my life at all?!?

I believe that you have to make an effort to make the time for these things

You only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Akrasia wrote: »

Think you're over-parenting tbh.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Think you're over-parenting tbh.

Ya know, I was kinda worried that I might be, but after my first 3 children were taken into care for so called 'neglect' (bloody church bothering social wiorkers) I thought I'd err on the side of caution with this batch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Dawkins worries too much about those who choose to go to a place of worship on a Sunday.

Its their call, if they want to do it, let them. Its a free world and none of his business. His own life is too short to be so obsessed about other peoples beliefs surely?

For the record, I do not go to a place of worship myself on a Sunday. I just think that this man's crusade to try to get the world's billions of believers to turn away from their 'God' is as pointless as trying to push water up a hill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my sunday morning is spent ferrying my wife to her horseriding lesson.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think Dawkins worries too much about those who choose to go to a place of worship on a Sunday.

Its their call, if they want to do it, let them. Its a free world and none of his business. His own life is too short to be so obsessed about other peoples beliefs surely?

For the record, I do not go to a place of worship myself on a Sunday. I just think that this man's crusade to try to get the world's billions of believers to turn away from their 'God' is as pointless as trying to push water up a hill.

What if you need water at the top of a hill?

endacl wrote: »
    What if you need water at the top of a hill?

Could be God was never that big on hydro-electric power schemes. Of course you don't have to push the water uphill, you could try using another method such as pulling. My guess is religion sucks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Thanks for the comments folks, I'm enjoying the read.
    NIMAN wrote: »

Well, the idea of the thread is not what religious people do on Sunday morning (don't particularly care), but what the rest of us get up to, and iirc that's what the Dawkins Foundation Facebook page did too. I like what I've read so far. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement