Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roads in Mayo get prayers and blessings in a bid to reduce road deaths

• 17-04-2014 4:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seriously the county council need to spend more time actually dealing with bad road designs or working with the Gardai to enforce speed limits then pushing this mickey mouse nonsense,

http://www.thejournal.ie/roads-in-mayo-get-prayers-and-blessings-in-a-bid-to-reduce-road-deathsroads-in-mayo-get-prayers-and-blessings-in-a-bid-to-reduce-road-deaths-1420708-Apr2014/
    Roads in Mayo get prayers and blessings in a bid to reduce road deaths
    The ceremonies will take place at all Catholic and Church of Ireland churches in the county on Sunday.

Next week Mayo county council are going to pray to the god Thor to ensure that they don't experience massive thunder storms, unlike the catholic god when it comes to road deaths Thor has done a much better job so far when it comes to thunder storms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing new unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

It's probably cheaper than repairing or resurfacing :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Well if a prayer and some holy water keep the sons and daughters of Saitan away from those roads the death toll will reduce!

If only it was that easy to resolve all problems.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Maphisto wrote: »
    It's probably cheaper than repairing or resurfacing :o

I dunno really, priesthood could be considered a pretty sweet deal if you're talking performance related pay. Here in the shticks I've noticed it takes at least 3 people in pensionable jobs about 5 mins to fill one pothole (tarmac to remain in place for at least a week to be considered properly "filled"). Prayer may well be cheaper, but dammit, you won't have that week of comfortable driving!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Back in the days of Holy Catholic Ireland the death rate on the roads was horrific compared to now. Haven't they considered that religion may make road safety worse?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I'm genuinely surprised at how something this ridiculous could happen. I knew we were bad but this is like something from Father Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Wait... so God is protecting the people on these roads now?! Brilliant!!! I'm off down to Mayo to drive a banged up Honda Civic with no seatbelts, talking into two mobile phones simultaneously, necking out of a bottle of vodka and driving at 90mph. Sure God will stop me crashing, won't he?.......... won't he???

Seriously...

DazMarz wrote: »
    Wait... so God is protecting the people on these roads now?! Brilliant!!! I'm off down to Mayo to drive a banged up Honda Civic with no seatbelts, talking into two mobile phones simultaneously, necking out of a bottle of vodka and driving at 90mph. Sure God will stop me crashing, won't he?.......... won't he???

Seriously...

Feck off, its obviously bollocks and I live in Mayo - you might hit me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Sure the Mayo radio station Midwest had Special Mass broadcast live to pray for fine weather last May..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

Another-Mass.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

wprathead wrote: »
    Sure the Mayo radio station Midwest had Special Mass broadcast live to pray for fine weather last May..

Oh sweet baby whatshisface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Prayer: Because you want to feel like you've done something but can't be assed to actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

The best way to fix roads is to combine a frog, a newt, a cats whisker, a toenail, a crow's eye, 20mls of horse semen, a morning eye crispy, 5 grams of belly button fluff, 2 grams of toe jam and a litre of goat urine. Boil for 5 hours, 23 minutes and 16 seconds in a large cauldron. Whilst it is cooking residents who live on the road in need of repair must dance naked around the cauldron chanting hail Mary's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Of course God will hurry to protect roads in boggersville instead of starving children in Syria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

lazygal wrote: »
    Of course God will hurry to protect roads in boggersville instead of starving children in Syria.

Its only boggersville because our good leader Ends seems to have forgotten his roots.
    Seriously though, blessing the roads to save lives, its absolutely ridiculous. The roads here in mayo are dangerous, road markings worn off, main roads sinking, ditches disintegrating onto the roads to name just a few problems. Can't see a blessing fixing that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cabaal wrote: »
    Seriously the county council need to spend more time actually dealing with bad road designs or working with the Gardai to enforce speed limits then pushing this mickey mouse nonsense
    there's no indication that the council are actually behind this; they may just be jumping on an initiative being led by the church, and see an easy and cheap way of chipping in with some road safety publicity.

anyway, it's not the roads which need to be blessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

there's no indication that the council are actually behind this; they may just be jumping on an initiative being led by the church, and see an easy and cheap way of chipping in with some road safety publicity.

anyway, it's not the roads which need to be blessed.

What does need blessing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you hardly cure dangerous driving by blaming the roads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

You've got to be kidding me!! I saw a screenshot of this story in the YLYL thread and just assumed it was another Waterford Whispers satire.

Its a legit story!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Calibos wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding me!! I saw a screenshot of this story in the YLYL thread and just assumed it was another Waterford Whispers satire.

Its a legit story!!??

You mean this?

teddougal_zpsc6cf4d57.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yet another reason that I'm thankful that I don't live in Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's nice to see that mayo coco included church of Ireland in this. Church of Ireland is generally forgotten in a majority of religion talk in Ireland. But it more be nicer to see inclusion of church of Ireland in Irish society in a more productive manner

hfallada wrote: »
    It's nice to see that mayo coco included church of Ireland in this. Church of Ireland is generally forgotten in a majority of religion talk in Ireland. But it more be nicer to see inclusion of church of Ireland in Irish society in a more productive manner

Poor muslims, Sihks, mormons, Jehova's witnesses and scientologists left out though.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"you have to vote Fianna Fail!! He fixed blessed the road!!" :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

bumper234 wrote: »
    Poor muslims, Sihks, mormons, Jehova's witnesses and scientologists left out though.

And what about the humanists ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ninja900 wrote: »

Thing is, many of these countrys pray for rain due to long periods of drought.......the rain doesn't come too often :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

well, you hardly cure dangerous driving by blaming the roads...

so the church should bless the drivers?

Geomy wrote: »

Ah they don't count! Who will they pray to :D

• Advertisement

Thing is, many of these countrys pray for rain due to long periods of drought.......the rain doesn't come too often :pac:

Drought happens.

They pray for rain.

Drought is "Gods" will.

They are saying "God" is wrong and needs to fix this ****? :confused:

Because we get all the rain, because we are God's special people.

Story linked in the OP makes it clear it's a Mayo CC initiative.

Scrap the cap!

bumper234 wrote: »
    Drought happens.

They pray for rain.

Drought is "Gods" will.

They are saying "God" is wrong and needs to fix this ****? :confused:

Road deaths are gods will, after all all deaths are due to the fact that god just needed another angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well Mayo residents you elected these people!

Just shows why you need to take local elections more seriously unless you want road blessings instead of practical improvements in infrastructure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The posters from the RSA telling people to variously; stop driving so fast, wear their seatbelts, stop texting their friends, don't be under the influence of alcahol or drugs, &c. while driving serve us very well, thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If road deaths drop to zero in Mayo I vote we shut down this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

And if they increase we shut down christianity forum I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Exactly. This could be the conclusive proof we have all been waiting for.

If there is no change we can conclude at least that blessings and prayer are a waste of time.

Yep and every time you buy a car you have to get holy water from the local church and bless it, (people did this in the 1950's didn't they?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

One month is far too short a duration to observe. We should give it about 1 year or 10. If Mayo had a lot of road deaths recently you'd expect the number to decrease of its own accord - regression to the mean. We'd also probably need to compare it to another county where placebo water was sprinkled on the roads. Comparing both of those to counties with no water sprinkling and very consistent weather. It would certainly be erroneous to declare Holy Water the road death reducer if it was in fact actual water doing the work. Then we'd need to figure out whether bottled or fresh water was more significant. There's science to be done here people! Science!

Turtwig wrote: »
    One month is far too short a duration to observe. We should give it about 1 year or 10. If Mayo had a lot of road deaths recently you'd expect the number to decrease of its own accord - regression to the mean. We'd also probably need to compare it to another county where placebo water was sprinkled on the roads. Comparing both of those to counties with no water sprinkling and very consistent weather. It would certainly be erroneous to declare Holy Water the road death reducer if it was in fact actual water doing the work. Then we'd need to figure out whether bottled or fresh water was more significant. There's science to be done here people! Science!

Oh oh oh can we get the mythbusters in??? :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Road deaths are gods will, after all all deaths are due to the fact that god just needed another angel

In the good old days this would have been knocked on its head by a theologian. Angels are spiritual creatures created by God to worship him and acts as his messengers (like a rapper's entourage). Human souls do not become angels. Too wishy-washy these days.

goose2005 wrote: »
    In the good old days this would have been knocked on its head by a theologian. Angels are spiritual creatures created by God to worship him and acts as his messengers (like a rapper's entourage). Human souls do not become angels. Too wishy-washy these days.

pfft, a government dept as reported by America's Finest News Source says otherwise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Great stuff :D How can anyone suggest that with a straight face?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Your opinion doesnt matter unless you were told it from invisible people.

Yep and every time you buy a car you have to get holy water from the local church and bless it, (people did this in the 1950's didn't they?)

The second motorbike I bought (in 1996) came with a St. Christopher medallion glued to each side of the frame.

I ditched 'em ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

**** me, he must be fighting something big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,578 ✭✭✭weisses

Seriously the county council need to spend more time actually dealing with bad road designs or working with the Gardai to enforce speed limits then pushing this mickey mouse nonsense,

What in this ceremony is preventing proper road design and how is the county council involved in such a way that it actually is preventing the Gardai to enforce the speed limits ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement