Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads in Mayo get prayers and blessings in a bid to reduce road deaths

Options
  • 17-04-2014 4:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seriously the county council need to spend more time actually dealing with bad road designs or working with the Gardai to enforce speed limits then pushing this mickey mouse nonsense,

http://www.thejournal.ie/roads-in-mayo-get-prayers-and-blessings-in-a-bid-to-reduce-road-deathsroads-in-mayo-get-prayers-and-blessings-in-a-bid-to-reduce-road-deaths-1420708-Apr2014/
    Roads in Mayo get prayers and blessings in a bid to reduce road deaths
    The ceremonies will take place at all Catholic and Church of Ireland churches in the county on Sunday.

Next week Mayo county council are going to pray to the god Thor to ensure that they don't experience massive thunder storms, unlike the catholic god when it comes to road deaths Thor has done a much better job so far when it comes to thunder storms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing new unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

It's probably cheaper than repairing or resurfacing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Well if a prayer and some holy water keep the sons and daughters of Saitan away from those roads the death toll will reduce!

If only it was that easy to resolve all problems.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Maphisto wrote: »
    It's probably cheaper than repairing or resurfacing :o

I dunno really, priesthood could be considered a pretty sweet deal if you're talking performance related pay. Here in the shticks I've noticed it takes at least 3 people in pensionable jobs about 5 mins to fill one pothole (tarmac to remain in place for at least a week to be considered properly "filled"). Prayer may well be cheaper, but dammit, you won't have that week of comfortable driving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Back in the days of Holy Catholic Ireland the death rate on the roads was horrific compared to now. Haven't they considered that religion may make road safety worse?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I'm genuinely surprised at how something this ridiculous could happen. I knew we were bad but this is like something from Father Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Wait... so God is protecting the people on these roads now?! Brilliant!!! I'm off down to Mayo to drive a banged up Honda Civic with no seatbelts, talking into two mobile phones simultaneously, necking out of a bottle of vodka and driving at 90mph. Sure God will stop me crashing, won't he?.......... won't he???

Seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

DazMarz wrote: »
    Wait... so God is protecting the people on these roads now?! Brilliant!!! I'm off down to Mayo to drive a banged up Honda Civic with no seatbelts, talking into two mobile phones simultaneously, necking out of a bottle of vodka and driving at 90mph. Sure God will stop me crashing, won't he?.......... won't he???

Seriously...

Feck off, its obviously bollocks and I live in Mayo - you might hit me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Sure the Mayo radio station Midwest had Special Mass broadcast live to pray for fine weather last May..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

Another-Mass.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

wprathead wrote: »
    Sure the Mayo radio station Midwest had Special Mass broadcast live to pray for fine weather last May..

Oh sweet baby whatshisface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Prayer: Because you want to feel like you've done something but can't be assed to actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

The best way to fix roads is to combine a frog, a newt, a cats whisker, a toenail, a crow's eye, 20mls of horse semen, a morning eye crispy, 5 grams of belly button fluff, 2 grams of toe jam and a litre of goat urine. Boil for 5 hours, 23 minutes and 16 seconds in a large cauldron. Whilst it is cooking residents who live on the road in need of repair must dance naked around the cauldron chanting hail Mary's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Of course God will hurry to protect roads in boggersville instead of starving children in Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

lazygal wrote: »
    Of course God will hurry to protect roads in boggersville instead of starving children in Syria.

Its only boggersville because our good leader Ends seems to have forgotten his roots.
    Seriously though, blessing the roads to save lives, its absolutely ridiculous. The roads here in mayo are dangerous, road markings worn off, main roads sinking, ditches disintegrating onto the roads to name just a few problems. Can't see a blessing fixing that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cabaal wrote: »
    Seriously the county council need to spend more time actually dealing with bad road designs or working with the Gardai to enforce speed limits then pushing this mickey mouse nonsense
    there's no indication that the council are actually behind this; they may just be jumping on an initiative being led by the church, and see an easy and cheap way of chipping in with some road safety publicity.

anyway, it's not the roads which need to be blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

there's no indication that the council are actually behind this; they may just be jumping on an initiative being led by the church, and see an easy and cheap way of chipping in with some road safety publicity.

anyway, it's not the roads which need to be blessed.

What does need blessing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you hardly cure dangerous driving by blaming the roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

You've got to be kidding me!! I saw a screenshot of this story in the YLYL thread and just assumed it was another Waterford Whispers satire.

Its a legit story!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Calibos wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding me!! I saw a screenshot of this story in the YLYL thread and just assumed it was another Waterford Whispers satire.

Its a legit story!!??

You mean this?

teddougal_zpsc6cf4d57.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yet another reason that I'm thankful that I don't live in Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's nice to see that mayo coco included church of Ireland in this. Church of Ireland is generally forgotten in a majority of religion talk in Ireland. But it more be nicer to see inclusion of church of Ireland in Irish society in a more productive manner

hfallada wrote: »
    It's nice to see that mayo coco included church of Ireland in this. Church of Ireland is generally forgotten in a majority of religion talk in Ireland. But it more be nicer to see inclusion of church of Ireland in Irish society in a more productive manner

Poor muslims, Sihks, mormons, Jehova's witnesses and scientologists left out though.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"you have to vote Fianna Fail!! He fixed blessed the road!!" :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

bumper234 wrote: »
    Poor muslims, Sihks, mormons, Jehova's witnesses and scientologists left out though.

And what about the humanists ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ninja900 wrote: »

Thing is, many of these countrys pray for rain due to long periods of drought.......the rain doesn't come too often :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

well, you hardly cure dangerous driving by blaming the roads...

so the church should bless the drivers?

Geomy wrote: »
    And what about the humanists ?

Ah they don't count! Who will they pray to :D

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is, many of these countrys pray for rain due to long periods of drought.......the rain doesn't come too often :pac:

Drought happens.

They pray for rain.

Drought is "Gods" will.

They are saying "God" is wrong and needs to fix this ****? :confused:

Advertisement