Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jim Walsh uses Seanad debate to say atheists have faith

• 16-04-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Senator Jim Walsh of Fianna Fail made the following sweepingly inaccurate comment about Atheist Ireland and atheists generally today in the Seanad.

“We’ve got a lot of representations from liberal groups, and particularly Atheist Ireland, and I want to say that, I said in the past here, I think, that atheists, like people of belief, are people of faith. It takes faith for anybody to believe there is a God, and equally it takes faith to believe there is no God. And in many ways I feel reassured by Atheist Ireland because, if there wasn’t a God, well then there wouldn’t be anything particularly to atheate from, and I’d just like to say that.”

Ironically, Senator Walsh made this comment this during a debate on a Bill that aims to reduce religious discrimination. And the representations that Atheist Ireland had made were about the need for the State to remain neutral between religious and nonreligious philosophical beliefs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Are Walsh and Mullen in a contest to see who's the thickest ****er in the Seanad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Interesting. Frustrating how so many people don't get the difference between 'not believing' and 'believing there's not'. Was there a counter point raised in the debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is atheate a word? I don't believe it is, which means it must exist, by Sen Walsh's logic.

Similarly, the FSM, the Loch Ness Monster, Hogwarts, Rivendell, the chocolate teapot, etc., must exist.

I'm glad we've cleared that up...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Are Walsh and Mullen in a contest to see who's the thickest ****er in the Seanad?
    No need for that kind of language, plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

As a believer in Santa Claus, I personally feel reassured by all the people who don't believe in the big guy.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Is atheate a word? I don't believe it is, which means it must exist, by Sen Walsh's logic.
    I believe it's a verb which he totallydidntjustmakeup. To atheate, I atheate, you atheate, s/he atheates, we atheate, ye atheate, they atheate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

When did you atheate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Senator Jim Walsh of Fianna Fail made the following sweepingly inaccurate comment about Atheist Ireland and atheists generally today in the Seanad.

“We’ve got a lot of representations from liberal groups, and particularly Atheist Ireland, and I want to say that, I said in the past here, I think, that atheists, like people of belief, are people of faith. It takes faith for anybody to believe there is a God, and equally it takes faith to believe there is no God. And in many ways I feel reassured by Atheist Ireland because, if there wasn’t a God, well then there wouldn’t be anything particularly to atheate from, and I’d just like to say that.”

Ironically, Senator Walsh made this comment this during a debate on a Bill that aims to reduce religious discrimination. And the representations that Atheist Ireland had made were about the need for the State to remain neutral between religious and nonreligious philosophical beliefs.

tumblr_lq29drlZsA1qgdlxu.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What Walsh said was dumber than rocks. I'm not calling him stupid, but he said a deeply deeply stupid thing :p

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

One can only despair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The type of ignorance one would expect from someone who can't understand why calling homosexuals "fairies" is unacceptable and who is opposed to civil partnerships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"Do you even atheate, bro?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

ninja900 wrote: »
    What Walsh said was dumber than rocks. I'm not calling him stupid, but he said a deeply deeply stupid thing :p

Jim Walsh is offensively stupid.

Jim Walsh needs a good atheatism.

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So Dim Walsh also believes all other mythical creatures/deities exist?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

SW wrote: »
    So Dim Walsh also believes all other mythical creatures/deities exist?

How else would you be able to Christianate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Senator Jim Walsh <...> It takes faith for anybody to believe there is a God, and equally it takes faith to believe there is no God. <...>
    Of course, this is substantially correct. The only objective difference between atheism and theism is the degree of extravagance involved in what they contend. Debate seems to get stuck around this largely irrelevant point, as if one or other side expects that they've an argument that can convince the other of the error of their ways.

The only discussion with a point is one around what it is possible to say about human motivation and judgment, given that no-one really knows what they are talking about when we discuss these issues. If we really understood how people are and can be motivated to act, and if we knew what constitutes sensible judgement, we never would have had a property bubble.

And the people who would be financially safest in the event of a property crash would be people who insisted on Sharia-compliant home finance products, because God told them to do it that way.

Of course, this is substantially correct.

Atheists don't actually contend anything (about a god or gods).

Good to see you're still practicing your sophistry. Have you taken silk yet?

Atheists don't actually contend anything (about a god or gods).
    That's agnostics. Agnostics don't contend anything about a god or gods.

And they're probably right, because its pointless to contend anything about it in isolation.

• Advertisement

And they're probably right, because its pointless to contend anything about it in isolation.
    I think the people here know what they do or don't do.

What about agnostic theists? They believe in their god, but they don't know.

I think most people around here know the difference between agnostic and atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Most on this forum are agnostic atheists,I'll happily admit there's always a possibility of a god existing(extremely unlikely though). However it seems equally likely leprachauns and unicorns exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Of course, this is substantially correct. The only objective difference between atheism and theism is the degree of extravagance involved in what they contend. Debate seems to get stuck around this largely irrelevant point, as if one or other side expects that they've an argument that can convince the other of the error of their ways.

The only discussion with a point is one around what it is possible to say about human motivation and judgment, given that no-one really knows what they are talking about when we discuss these issues. If we really understood how people are and can be motivated to act, and if we knew what constitutes sensible judgement, we never would have had a property bubble.

And the people who would be financially safest in the event of a property crash would be people who insisted on Sharia-compliant home finance products, because God told them to do it that way.

Time for the chart again:
    UvMU4.png

I think most people around here know the difference between agnostic and atheist.
    I'd say they do. The weakness is in recognising that, for reasons related to the distinction, the statement I quoted is essentially correct.

I'd say they do. The weakness is in recognising that, for reasons related to the distinction, the statement I quoted is essentially correct.

Are you now claiming you don't know the difference between "I don't believe there is a god" and "I believe there is no god"?

Are you now claiming you don't know the difference between "I don't believe there is a god" and "I believe there is no god"?
    I'm not particularly commenting on whether there's any difference between those two statements of belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

david norris while supportive generally of more secularism on this issue said
    Like other colleagues, I have put down some amendments for Report Stage. They may be supplemental to those tabled by my colleagues, Senators Zappone and Power. For example, I want to replace the phrase "religious" with "religious or belief-based" as I see atheism as a belief. It is quite a strong belief in defiance of much of the evidence out there. I can argue that philosophically some other day.
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2014041600023?opendocument
    jim walsh also cast asperisions on other people in the seanad... based on rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

lazygal wrote: »
    When did you atheate?

A cream bun.

• Advertisement

Strong belief in defiance of what evidence out there, exactly, Sen Norris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh NORRIS. Why do you, a thoughtful man, insist on thinking FOR us?

There's a real attitude that you have to believe in something or you're just plain weird or haven't listened to enough religious arguments from many Irish people. I got it all the time when we didn't have a church wedding and some of the comments when we didn't baptise the children were flat out incredible.

Me having no belief in a god is as much of a belief as me having absolutely no love for egg white. It either is true for me, or it isn't. It's not a belief - it requires no thought whatsoever. I do not see any god - I do not like egg white. Simples.

I know. I don't believe in thousands of Gods. But to some Irish people half assing their way through Catholicism is easier to understand than atheism.

Yes, and actually being Irish AND atheist is more challenging to their poor little expectations apparently.

Had to roar laughing last night though - had some English friends around and sister of one of them, who I'd never met before, at one point in the conversation (I think we were on about Easter at the time) glanced quickly at me before qualifying what she said with "I'm sorry, you see I'm an atheist". Cue me roaring laughing because she had assumed I wasn't.....also gave her a proper going over for apologising over having no belief. We're firm friends now, but it gets me every time tbh. I'm Irish, therefore RCC? GRRRR :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

ninja900 wrote: »

You're not?

Fine then, I will.

Sen. Jim Walsh is a big eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Obliq wrote: »
    Oh NORRIS. Why do you, a thoughtful man, insist on thinking FOR us?

Norris never came across to me as a thoughtful man, he came across as a man in love with his own voice who happened to be right on gay rights, did a good line in meaningless blather and not much else.

Basically he's the Irish Rowan Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Wan't going to vote FF anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I hate this whole atheism is a belief thing going around. Its as much of a belief in thinking there is no santa. I dont believe in god or santa. I cant prove they dont exist but will take the chance in assuming they arent as there is no evidence to suggest there is. Nobody feels the need to label me based on my belief in Santa.

• Advertisement

I hate this whole atheism is a belief thing going around. <...>I cant prove they dont exist but will take the chance in assuming they arent as there is no evidence to suggest there is. <...>
    But, sure, you're saying it there. Life requires us to make assumptions, or be frozen by indecision.

I don't see the necessity of getting hung up on this "belief" word. Well, I suppose I do see why people want to contend that their unsupported assumptions are better than the next guy's. But they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think Mr Walsh has been watching too much Kill Bill, with the bride vs the crazy atheate gang.

Crazy_88_Surrounds_Bride.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

But, sure, you're saying it there. Life requires us to make assumptions, or be frozen by indecision.

I don't see the necessity of getting hung up on this "belief" word. Well, I suppose I do see why people want to contend that their unsupported assumptions are better than the next guy's. But they aren't.

Some assumptions are more supported than others. Lack of evidence would support lack of belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lazygal wrote: »
    When did you atheate?

After biting your tongue. It means 'to speak with an injury-induced lisp'.

Some assumptions are more supported than others. Lack of evidence would support lack of belief.
    Lack of evidence would be consistent with lack of belief, but that's not support.

Some statements may be more consistent with what we know than other statements. But what we know is only a small fraction of what there is to be known. Rationality isn't what we think it is.
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1311323/problem-of-induction

It is important to note that Hume did not deny that he or anyone else formed beliefs on the basis of induction; he denied only that people have any reason to hold such beliefs (therefore, also, no one can know that any such belief is true). Philosophers have responded to the problem of induction in a variety of ways, though none has gained wide acceptance.

Lack of evidence would be consistent with lack of belief, but that's not support.

Some statements may be more consistent with what we know than other statements. But what we know is only a small fraction of what there is to be known. Rationality isn't what we think it is.

sort of like 'the known knowns, the known unknowns, and the unknown unknown ' school of philosophy . Sounds a bit Rum to me

marienbad wrote: »
    sort of like 'the known knowns, the known unknowns, and the unknown unknown ' school of philosophy . Sounds a bit Rum to me
    Ah, yeah, of course we can just dismiss David Hume and not seem like we're clueless.

Ah, yeah, of course we can just dismiss David Hume and not seem like we're clueless.

Well how many clues do you need ?

marienbad wrote: »
    Well how many clues do you need ?
    All of them, if we're being rational.

All of them, if we're being rational.

but rationality isn't what we think it is .

• Advertisement
Advertisement