Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distro for a small USB flash device

Options
  • 06-04-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭

Can somebody suggest a suitable distro to make a live Linux OS on a USB flash device with only 489MB ( 512,778,240 bytes free)

I tried DSL, but I found its shell too minimal. It did boot tho!

I tried PCLinuxOS KDE Minime, but it needed a few more MB on the device

edit:its to run on a Dell E6400 laptop, Core2Duo CPU. Not bothered if 32/64bit OS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Puppy Linux, SLiTaz, Tiny Core Linux, Unity, Vector Linux are some other small distros, but I have not used any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Depends on how much RAM you have. Compressed software images expanded to ramdisk or running in a compressed ramdisk can get around small storage.
    If the 6400 still has a DVD drive, you could look at knoppix and use the USB space for persistent storage.

Other stripped down distros are worth considering. I keep a USB stick in my pocket with partedmagic on it.
    It's meant to be for managing disk recovery and imaging, but has lots of addons which can be stored on the USB and are loaded on boot,
    but I added a java addon for managing server consoles that are delivered via web browser.
    Including Java, skype, dropbox and teamviewer modules it takes up 576MB on the latest version. Without addons it's about 416MB.
    Out of the box it comes with Firefox installed, and the older versions from last September or so are free to download, a good bit smaller and will run with 1GB of RAM.
    Tinycore is a good suggestion also for getting maximum number of applications that you need into a minimum of space.

Advertisement