Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress; Can it be this bad???

Options
  • 25-03-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

This is amazing (and almost unbelievable) http://www.stress.org/stress-effects

I know several people who have been told they have ME, Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic Migrane and many other imo mystery illnesses that seem hard to prove even exist (and are given as a diagnosis when nothing can be found to account for the symptoms being exhibited)

After reading that article I wonder how much of it could be down to stress??? How many could be helped if the stress was tackled and managed instead of doping them up with anti depressants & pain killers?

I'd be very interested to hear from people who can back any of this up & actually say after yrs of mystery illness/pains/fatigue etc etc they finally realised that all or most of the symptoms were due to stress???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is amazing (and almost unbelievable) http://www.stress.org/stress-effects

I know several people who have been told they have ME, Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic Migrane and many other imo mystery illnesses that seem hard to prove even exist (and are given as a diagnosis when nothing can be found to account for the symptoms being exhibited)

After reading that article I wonder how much of it could be down to stress??? How many could be helped if the stress was tackled and managed instead of doping them up with anti depressants & pain killers?

I'd be very interested to hear from people who can back any of this up & actually say after yrs of mystery illness/pains/fatigue etc etc they finally realised that all or most of the symptoms were due to stress???

NO NO NO!

AND NO!

DEFINITELY NO!

Only real stress is posts like this!
    And I am not bothering to read that article as that WOULD stress me

We have all heard it all before.

NB most illnesses are CAUSED by stress of one kind or another but that does not mean they are stress per se.
    Cancer can be caused by stress but it is still cancer.

And we are not doped up as you put it.

At present I am in bed, in pain from lactic acid being released into my muscles.

I was misdiagnosed over 40 years ago as mentally unwell and it took 30 years of bad treatment to get the diagnosis right. All that while the drs were puzzled because there were measurable symptoms eg crazy blood sugar.

imo is a very bad guide....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

This thread isn't intended to cause offense or raise anyone's stress levels.

I have posted this article (which I state is almost unbelievable!) & am questioning it to see if anyone can back it up or know someone who can, through their own experiences.

Like I said I know some people who have been ill for a long time & are still currently having lots of different problems with no end in sight.

At this stage everybody including several doctors/GP's are suggesting stress/anxiety etc as the most likely cause & seem to have no other solution than medication/sedation - which has led me to find & question this article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 EllieMay1969

I just read the article you posted. To be honest, having looked after my extremely unwell daughter for the last 2 years and looking at the list of symptoms in your article, I have one thing to say.

Of course she is stressed because she was a perfectly healthy active 16 year old and then suddenly she had all of these problems and now cannot be left alone as she has what they are now calling drop attacks. She is stressed because her life has stopped. The problems have caused the stress not the other way around.

Stress is the answer given when really they don't know whats wrong. They don't know how to get to the bottom of the problem and so they dismiss you with stress as a diagnosis. I see my daughter, now nearly 19 and she gets stressed about her condition form time to time and it makes the symptoms worse, yes, but it is not the cause of her problem.

Stress can be a factor in some cases but in many it is caused by the problem and therefore aggravates the symptoms. This should not be mistaken for the cause of a persons problem

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

TBH I have to say I agree with the above link, over the last 6 months I have had extreme stress with a health scare and losing a close friend to suicide. Over the last few months some of the symptoms I went through:
    Diarrhea, weight loss, dizzyness, vivid nightmares, waking up with night sweats, itchy fingers/arms, stomach gurgling, aching in armpits/groin area (no swelling of nodes), to mention a few. I have went to the doctor several times and its all down to stress. Dont underestimate the power of your mind stress can manifest its self in so many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

One of the most heartbreaking things for people with "invisible illnesses" is reading articles like that. And dealing with a chronic condition daily is hard enough as it is.

There's no doubt that stress manifests itself in all sorts of weird ways, and exacerbates existing conditions, but to say that it causes conditions such as ME/chronic fatigue, migraine, fibromyalgia etc is nonsense.

TBH I have to say I agree with the above link, over the last 6 months I have had extreme stress with a health scare and losing a close friend to suicide. Over the last few months some of the symptoms I went through:
    Diarrhea, weight loss, dizzyness, vivid nightmares, waking up with night sweats, itchy fingers/arms, stomach gurgling, aching in armpits/groin area (no swelling of nodes), to mention a few. I have went to the doctor several times and its all down to stress. Dont underestimate the power of your mind stress can manifest its self in so many ways.

with respect...yes of course this is true and there are links between eg stress and cancer BUT cancer is not stress. it is cancer. what this article is doing is what so many of us with eg m.e hear, that m.e is not a real illness but a manifestation of stress

can you see the difference?

thus treating stress will not cure or alleviate m.e believe me on that.

breakning my wrist three weeks ago and having surgery on it last week was a breeze. everyone knew what to do etc.

but when i mentioned m.e to one otherwise intelligent and caring dr, her face darkened and then she asked me if i knew what m.e stood for, in the most patronising tone.

i reeled it off of course!

i have learned not to go near a dr unless i absolutely need to. as in a broken wrist!

I just read the article you posted. To be honest, having looked after my extremely unwell daughter for the last 2 years and looking at the list of symptoms in your article, I have one thing to say.

Of course she is stressed because she was a perfectly healthy active 16 year old and then suddenly she had all of these problems and now cannot be left alone as she has what they are now calling drop attacks. She is stressed because her life has stopped. The problems have caused the stress not the other way around.

Stress is the answer given when really they don't know whats wrong. They don't know how to get to the bottom of the problem and so they dismiss you with stress as a diagnosis. I see my daughter, now nearly 19 and she gets stressed about her condition form time to time and it makes the symptoms worse, yes, but it is not the cause of her problem.

Stress can be a factor in some cases but in many it is caused by the problem and therefore aggravates the symptoms. This should not be mistaken for the cause of a persons problem

ellie may; i followed your ordeal with heartache. and all you say is so true. been there done that too many times, even being sectioned a few times.

i avoid drs as with them my blood pressure rises..when as soon as that look appears on their face and they ask what m.e is...

with me there were always "real" physical, measurable symptoms they could not explain away...erratic blood sugar levels etc

my life is more equable now i have taken control

This thread isn't intended to cause offense or raise anyone's stress levels.

I have posted this article (which I state is almost unbelievable!) & am questioning it to see if anyone can back it up or know someone who can, through their own experiences.

Like I said I know some people who have been ill for a long time & are still currently having lots of different problems with no end in sight.

At this stage everybody including several doctors/GP's are suggesting stress/anxiety etc as the most likely cause & seem to have no other solution than medication/sedation - which has led me to find & question this article.

they are unaware of the reality of m.e. many others speak truth. please, look up dr anne mcintyre or go to any of the m.e web sites and educate yourself.

i dont take sedation etc. i use painkillers i chose and an american otc anti nausea med.

of course they are prescribing wrongly; they are misdiagnosing.

i recently was refused dr registration because i refused flu vaccine; am over 70. the young dr who had never heard of m.e refused to believe it was contraindicated

if you google this you will find that some drs who know little re m.e say it is ok but m.e drs are more than wary

please, look at both sides of this for a more balanced view,

scuse bolded; needs 2hands to change it and only have one working

Advertisement