Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Dubliners remember the "Save the Harvest" campaign in 1947?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am studying oral history at UL and as part of my course I'm researching the Save the Harvest campaign of the late summer / early autumn of 1947.

It was a very wet summer, and farmers were racing against time to get the harvest in before the crops rotted in the fields. A number of Dublin businesses (including among others Guinness, Dollards, the Mountjoy Brewery) released workers to travel to the worst-hit counties to help on the farms for a few days. Some of the higher classes in schools were closed so that the older boys could go to help as well. (Male and female workers went, but I don't think any girls went from schools.)

I'm interested in talking to anyone who was living in Dublin at the time who remembers taking part in this, just before the famously bad winter of 1947, or perhaps someone who remembers a parent or other family member going.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement