Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who covers class trips/football matches?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Quick query from those in the know.
    Who is supposed to cover for an absent teacher away on school business?
    My second years had a soccer match this afternoon and I had to cover the PE teacher when my timetabled class were away at the match.

Should S+S cover this or the teacher with the absent class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I thought once the teacher was out on school business then you'd cover their class when you should have had class. Wonder how it would work though for mixed groups. I could easily have half a class out fir a match but I'd still have to take the remainder of my class so would be unavailable to take pe teacher's class then. I suppose the s&s rota would come into play (excuse the pun) then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Teacher with the absent class can be called now, I think. I've been called to do so during the last 16 months. Sometimes S&S has to be used if it's not a clean split, though, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it is always the teacher that is left behind who would have been teaching at that time except during the small periods where union directed this shouldn't take place. S&S is used when mixed groups take place though sometimes the resulting mixed groups might be put together if small.........

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

From what I know, its up to the school. There's no real set guidelines. I know that for mixed groups, its a case of using S&S.
    In the case where there's a school tour, with 5th years gone, along with 3 teachers (Teacher A, B, and C) you can be called on to supervise classes belonging to Teacher A, B, or C when you are supposed to be teaching 5th years. This means that the school aren't drawing hours from S&S, while you are still fulfilling your teaching time obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The management place the teacher who's class is out on substitution for the class of the other teacher.

It's in the original Croke Park Agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

TheDriver wrote: »
    ...S&S is used when mixed groups take place though sometimes the resulting mixed groups might be put together if small.........

I'm not that S&S can be used in those circumstances. Certainly up until recently, schools got an extra allocation to the general allocation to allow them to provide paid substitution in the case of teachers absent on school business - I know that we got it this year.

This is from the original S&S circular [PPT01/03]
    7.3 Under the terms of this agreement, the Department will now provide schools/VECs with resources to extend paid substitution for absences of teachers on uncertified sick leave, and other approved absences on school business, with a view to minimising the disruption of teaching programmes and improving the service to pupils. This substitution should be arranged in the normal way by the employment of a substitute teacher.

I havent seen anything in writing that suggests that S&S can be used for school business. Can anyone provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

The management place the teacher who's class is out on substitution for the class of the other teacher.

It's in the original Croke Park Agreement.

Which is fine if a teacher is taking a whole class group away. What happens in the case of a biology teacher who is drawing students from a number of classes to take them away on a field trip. Who covers the biology teachers class?

Advertisement