Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASTI Fightback meeting - 25th January at 12pm

• 16-01-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

There is an ASTI Fightback meeting in the Gresham Hotel in Dublin on the 25th January at 12pm.

The title of the meeting is "Do we need a new Secondary Teachers Union?"
    The meeting is open to all ASTI and TUI members.

I'll be heading along because I believe we do.

If you want to print a poster for your school email astifightback@gmail.com and they will email one out to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Best of luck , I will be there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

hi all,
    just wondering if many from here are going to attend the meeting? It should be an interesting debate and will hopefully encourage more people to at least get more active within their own union.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭losullivan

A group from my school are heading in. Hopefully ASTI Fightback will get the turnout they deserve. They are doing the work our paid representatives have failed to do and deserve to be supported by grassroot members of ASTI and TUI. I am on the verge of dropping out of ASTI myself so I'm hoping the meeting on Saturday will be a productive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm also going. When HR was passed my impulse was to bail from ASTI. But I decided to wait until after this meeting to make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Many turn up? have a feeling it could be a bit of a damp squib if the apathy of HR was anything to go by.

There wasn't as many as I hoped thete would be but we had a great mix of people at different stages of the teaching ladder. More younger teachers are showing up. What was great to see was the effort people made to be there. There were people from Cavan, Kerry, Kildare and Wexford and they were just people I was talking to. It was very productive and some excellent speeches from the floor and top table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

what numbers would you say were there approx?

probably about 40.

I was there,definitely not a damp quid affair. I came out feeling quite energised. I really admire the work Asti Fightback are doing. The next meeting is taking place in Athlone on February 8th, take a look at their Facebook page for updates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

losullivan wrote: »
    I was there,definitely not a damp quid affair. I came out feeling quite energised. I really admire the work Asti Fightback are doing. The next meeting is taking place in Athlone on February 8th, take a look at their Facebook page for updates.

they should remove the old page that wasn't updated since September

Yes,it can be a little confusing alright. There is a link to the new page on it though and they also have a website with lots of info.

I was also there and was also very happy with it. Don't forget that the wheels of change turn very slowly especially in Ireland and at the moment it's quite a task to encourage people who feel beaten and demoralised because of the acceptance of HR to keep fighting on. But the fightback group with their information, meetings and great ideas have given us the means to do just that. I think the task now is for each of us to encourage our collegues not to give up and give in. Some collegues are easy to get on board while others may prove more challenging. Plenty to be done folks, let's keep the sleeves rolled up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HRA21

losullivan wrote: »

40 out 17000 sounds like a damp squib to me.

so if 1, 2, 3 thousand turned up and said nothing that wouldn't be a 'damp squib'? Do you go to branch meetings because we average between 5-10 attendees at most of our branch meetings. 10-15 if something big is happening e.g HRA. How many turn up at your monthly meetings HRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HRA21

Terri26 wrote: »
    so if 1, 2, 3 thousand turned up and said nothing that wouldn't be a 'damp squib'? Do you go to branch meetings because we average between 5-10 attendees at most of our branch meetings. 10-15 if something big is happening e.g HRA. How many turn up at your monthly meetings HRA?

Nope I don't go to branch meetings, i dont need 2 hours of whinging luke warm tea and digestives to inform my decisions..... A new union? Call it "Occupy Staffroom", What a joke? Sounds to me like the child in the playground who bursts the ball when they are losing the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

HRA21 wrote: »
    Nope I don't go to branch meetings, i dont need 2 hours of whinging luke warm tea and digestives to inform my decisions..... A new union? Call it "Occupy Staffroom", What a joke? Sounds to me like the child in the playground who bursts the ball when they are losing the game.

Tea? Digestives? Sounds like you've never been to a branch meeting, but hey, don't let that stop you slagging off people who are trying to do something.

HRA21 wrote: »

With a username like yours, I doubt you're even in a union.

Edit Please do not call posters trolls. If you suspect a troll, report the post

Advertisement