Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Maths Classes for Parents

• 08-01-2014 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of anywhere in North Dublin that teaches project maths to parents? My daughter is in first year and is struggling with maths. I'm not in a position to pay for grinds for her but would love to be able to help her myself. I did maths up to LC but I really can't make head nor tail of her homework. The only classes I can find are for people with basic numeracy skills, nothing for Project Maths. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Can't really help as regards free grinds. Firstly maybe ascertain what the issue is from the teacher. Maybe it is one or two topics, maybe organisational skills, revisions skills for exams (conflict with the teacher!). Rather than asking the teacher outright tell them if they could keep an eye on them for the next week and get back to you it might give a better picture.
    Also, fair play for trying to help...maybe choose a chapter title and log on to Khan Academy (its free! and graded) and do a search of the topic. They have good introductions using videos ...but be warned the methods might conflict with teaching methods on your child's school.
    I think there used to be a volunteering website where you could seek help..sometimes hdip students offer help to get teaching experience...maybe check out if DCU have maths teacher training programs , you could try the appropriate notice board in the college, I've seen requests before like this.
    Sorry I can't be any more help...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Heard somebody talking about this on the radio - it appears to be free
    http://alison.com/projectmaths/

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I'm a Maths teacher and totally understand that this looks like different Maths but it isn't. It's just how it's being taught and how the questions are being asked that makes it look different and difficult to us used to the old ways ;-)

There is http://www.projectmaths.ie/ which is the official website and has tons of resources on it. Honestly it would take you forever to trawl through it all. Spend some time having a browse and don't feel overwhelmed by the volume on it. Personally I find it a bit intimidating at times, there's so much to take in.

Also what topics is she struggling with? Maybe focus on those and the basics of them. A lot of the content in the start of first year is material they have done at primary. How is her English and literacy level? In Project Maths the questions can be more "Englishy" or wordy so literacy and interpreting questions becomes more important.

I would suggest to let her teach you for a bit. Sit down together and let her explain what she did in Maths that day and go through the examples, corrected homework together. Very often when students are explaining to someone else it clicks a little better for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Its brilliant to see a parent so engaged. If you get stuck on a topic why not stick a post up (even in the junior cert thread) and everyone will help out.

What theLuggage has said is exactly that, there is very little content different on the new course (albeit a new method or two, particularly at the start of algebra) but it is wordy and it does expect students to work on understanding and interpretation rather than repetitive rote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 giraffe123

Heard something on the Sunday business show about free project maths classes in Griffith College soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement