Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phil Hogan caught selling Irish passports to foreign Nationals (he doesnt even know)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

There seems to be some plotting to get rid of Big Phil within Fine Gael, and the FG newsletter, the Sindo, is playing it's part in the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maykitrayen

Ghandee wrote: »
    Whoa....... a whole 3 and a half years ago Chucky?

Bravo sir. Bravo.

Hogan has dirtied his bib once again. Zero credibility yet you still defend him:confused:

"Not a good week for Phil Hogan.

After one story broke about him availing of a few 'cushty' mortgages, up pops a story that Phil Has been caught selling passports to foreign nationals,"

1: February 2008 was not 3 and a half years ago, it was 4 years and 5 months ago.
    2: He has not "dirtied his bib again", this is news that is 4 years old
    3: This adds nothing to Phil Hogan's week, for it is 4 years ago.

Listen, you've been caught out doing something stupid and ranting over news you thought was relevant today but is actually 4 years old. You've egg on your face, you're embarrassed, just admit it and move on. Bashing the keys on the matter any further is just pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The title of the following article is really starting to make sense!

http://alturl.com/d2twp

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5205/philhogan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dragging up a story from 2008? lol, oh how pathetic.

I thought this was breaking news. Seems Higgins is digging up dirt on Phil, not that it seems to be that hard. It's still wrong, the passports are supposed to be for investments, seems odd he isn't aware of them!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Asked by Ms Nunn if the passport recipients had come from the Middle East, Mr Hogan began by saying: "I actually. I actually don't know the identities of the people involved, but I know that they've...what I was anxious to secure was..."

That lack of information was met with a frosty response from Ms Nunn, who said: "But they could have been terrorists, for God's sake!"

Isn't that a little bit racist:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tym wrote: »
    Isn't that a little bit racist:confused:

...not really. He has no idea to who or where they went, so its not that much of an "off the wall" suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Half of Mossad are on the Irish Passports.. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Oh Dear.

Not a good week for Phil Hogan.

After one story broke about him availing of a few 'cushty' mortgages, up pops a story that Phil Has been caught selling passports to foreign nationals, despite not knowing who the hell the people are, or what country they even come from!

Bad enough Phil, but this one takes the biscuit....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fine-gael-td-got-passports-for-foreigners-phil-hogan-admits-helping-in-sale-to-foreign-nationals-but-doesnt-know-who-they-were-1286382.html

I think a resignation from Phil is imminent.

Further proof that the only thing we changed in the last elections was a change of name, not government.

Lets face it chances are he will neither resign/nor get any pressure from his party to resign- we should all remember what James O'reilly said about phil hogan not paying his property tax in portugal and people not paying the household tax- o reily said it was lile comparing apples and oranges-if only we had recall elections to get rid of the likes of phil hogan after hearing all we heard about him in the last two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

hondasam wrote: »
    Enda will drop him like a hot potato. Just wait and see, Enda is a sly one don't worry.

Sly like a turnip.
    Everyone hated Phil already before this stuff. There isn't any defending it, he's full of hot air. He's clearly acting above his station.
    It's always disappointing following these situations in Irish politics. The tribunal into Berties affairs is a good example. No accountability, years of shuffling and massive amounts of money gone up in smoke.
    I follow coverage of UK politics/scandals more closely than our own. It makes me feel a bit more sane. I can't look too closely at this Mickey Mouse stuff, it belongs to bad satire.

Strange isn't it?

Its ok to dig up old stuff that happen years ago on a person that might be running for a presidential office - and such news is treated with glee by some - but heaven forbid a previous also wrong incident was brought up against a sitting minister that frankly has more than one incident tarnishing his ability to hold present office?

O' no, that different of course!

Yes, its is a previous maybe major cock-up from the past but (1) it further solidifies a further trail of continuing level of incompetence from a man now that is looking after the nations hard earned, cough-up money - when frankly, it looks like he can't run a piss-up in a brewery!
    ..and (2) it also again brings into question "What the hell was Enda Kenny thinking (if he was at all!)" if the man is this (and has been previously) inept to say the least!

At a time when we need every cent to pay off debt that you or I didn't directly create - but we're still paying for - we don't need such incompetence in charge at the very top!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't know much about the situation, can someone explain it more to me and maybe outline what the big deal is?

Biggins wrote: »
    Strange isn't it?

Its ok to dig up old stuff that happen years ago on a person that might be running for a presidential office - and such news is treated with glee by some - but heaven forbid a previous also wrong incident was brought up against a sitting minister that frankly has more than one incident tarnishing his ability to hold present office?

O' no, that different of course!

Big difference between stuff that happened years ago that wasn't known about and stuff that happened years ago and was reported on. Again I find it strange why Ghandee and yourself never mentioned this at election time or before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

"Not a good week for Phil Hogan.

After one story broke about him availing of a few 'cushty' mortgages, up pops a story that Phil Has been caught selling passports to foreign nationals,"

1: February 2008 was not 3 and a half years ago, it was 4 years and 5 months ago.
    2: He has not "dirtied his bib again", this is news that is 4 years old
    3: This adds nothing to Phil Hogan's week, for it is 4 years ago.

Listen, you've been caught out doing something stupid and ranting over news you thought was relevant today but is actually 4 years old. You've egg on your face, you're embarrassed, just admit it and move on. Bashing the keys on the matter any further is just pathetic.

I posted the link in the full knowledge of when and where it happened (unlike Phil it would seem:rolleyes:) Where did I claim it happened yesterday, last week or even last year?

I'll give you the four and a half years, over the three and a half (its ben a long day)

Regardless of when it happened, it was wrong at the time, and is definitely wrong now that he should hold office, and threaten members of the public when his reputation has been, and is still being repeatedly tarnished.

2008 is a hell of a lot closer to 2012 than the events and history of another poltician whose past, and accusations repeatedly get thrown around these forums.

That doesnt count though does it? Some folk here are very, very short sighted when it comes to 'historical' events on our island.

Big difference between stuff that happened years ago that wasn't known about and stuff that happened years ago and was reported on. Again I find it strange why Ghandee and yourself never mentioned this at election time or before.

It wasn't honestly brought to my attention - or I suspect many!

So what are you saying or espousing?
    Now that the man in is even higher office that he is immune to being further questioned about it?
    Now that the man in is even higher office that he is immune to having the matter not be raised in or by the public?
    Now that the man in is even higher office that items regarding himself should not even also be brought up?

One rule for one person in this country and another for the rest it seems!
    Nothing new there then!

Its no wonder the country is the way it is with the double sided/hypocritical thinking of some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Biggins wrote: »
    So what are you saying or espousing?
    Now that the man in is even higher office that he is immune to being further questioned about it?
    Now that the man in is even higher office that he is immune to having the matter not be raised in or by the public?
    Now that the man in is even higher office that items regarding himself should not even also be brought up?

But shure....that's how it's always been and aren't we doing just grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I posted the link in the full knowledge of when and where it happened (unlike Phil it would seem:rolleyes:) Where did I claim it happened yesterday, last week or even last year?

I'll give you the four and a half years, over the three and a half (its ben a long day)

Regardless of when it happened, it was wrong at the time, and is definitely wrong now that he should hold office, and threaten members of the public when his reputation has been, and is still being repeatedly tarnished.

2008 is a hell of a lot closer to 2012 than the events and history of another poltician whose past, and accusations repeatedly get thrown around these forums.

That doesnt count though does it? Some folk here are very, very short sighted when it comes to 'historical' events on our island.

Im glad the OP posted this article. I for one never heard it before. Bye bye Phil & FG very soon

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Passports for Investment Scheme ran from 1988 to 1998. People got an Irish passport in exchange for investing $1 million in Ireland.

The scheme was legal, albeit controversial. Hogan was asked in 2008 on radio, the names of people he received applications from under the scheme more than 10 years earlier and he couldn't remember. Non-story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I don't know much about the situation, can someone explain it more to me and maybe outline what the big deal is?

It has been explained, the value and imprtance of a passport, and how 'selling' one to an unknown person in an unknown country is wrong on so many levels.

[QUOTE=Chucky the tree;79643245

Big difference between stuff that happened years ago that wasn't known about and stuff that happened years ago and was reported on. Again I find it strange why Ghandee and yourself never mentioned this at election time or before.[/QUOTE]

I never did, never have, and never will vote FG.

In saying that though, pre-election they gave all kinds of promises of the 'change' they would bring if voted into power.

Then Phil emerged like a kid let loose in a candy shop, living it large in Rio, not paying his way with his property in Portugal whilst threatening the public here with a pulled out of the air 'household charge'. Yesterday we learned of his financial 'arrangements' with Fingelton, as regards low level mortgages.

It stinks Chucky, he's rotten to the core and isnt fit for the office he holds, if Kenny hasnt gotten rid of him by at least the end of July, it does have to makings of destroying the Govt.

Even a blind man can see that for Christs sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Firstly, there's no point dragging up a 4 year old news article implying it's suddenly been brought to light, in order to have a go at a politician. He's a politician so should have plenty of recent cock-ups to point out.

Secondly, Politics forum --->

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement