Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Resolutions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Take up smoking.

Start random fights on the internet under a secret identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I've made my resolutions for January, that seems a bit more manageable than the whole year. Although, I do hope to keep these up beyond that . . .

For the month of January I will:

Walk everyday for at least 40 mins.

Eat no fried food.

Take a spoon of fish oil and a b vitamin every morning.

Open all the windows to let in some fresh air for at least an hour every day.

Do one house-hold job per day like cleaning windows or de-cluttering, should have a very pleasant house by the time February comes along!

There are two resolutions that I hope to continue for the year:

1: Put €10 in the post office every week.

2: Take at least one photograph every day. I got the idea from a friend, she did this project last year and it turned out really nicely.

There you have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm giving up smoking, it's not a new years resolution as such, it just needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Have a few but the main one is to learn to drive and pass my test. Did lessons and bought a car last year but haven't had the motivation to keep up driving and use to walking/buses/taxis etc.

I don't really have any resolutions as such, perhaps just to try and be more content with what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

To volunteer somewhere. Been meaning to do it for a while and kept putting it on the long finger. Now, i just gotta find somewhere to volunteer!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

bring my own lunch to work. Seriously, the amount of money I was spending buying rolls and what not was ridiculous. About €120 a month.

Also got to cut out mid week drinking...for a while.

mainly save is the goal. My finances are in dire straits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

My main goal this year sounds quite selfish - it's to realise what I'm worth and what I deserve, and to accept nothing less. From myself as well as others.

My diet needs a serious overhaul, though I don't eat badly, I'm just lazy when it comes to cooking and am happy to eat the same stuff over and over and over.

There are a few more, but they're too personal to post here :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

..There are a few more, but they're too personal to post here :p

We are all friends in here, so c'mon, tell all :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Larianne wrote: »
    You're on so! :pac:

damnit

Lesson 3. ;)

l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    We are all friends in here, so c'mon, tell all :pac:

Haha, I'll post about them when they're done, how's that?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

My New Year's Resolution: 1024x768

I am actually a little short on ideas for new years resolutions or targets. I can not think of any at all and most of the more common ones mentioned on threads are things I am already interested in and do a lot - especially around the healthy lifestyles of eating and excercise.

The DIY projects I had in mind for the last few years have all been completed and there literally is nothing more to build in or around my land that I can think of (built a small house, an 8 person outdoor heated Jacuzzi, a herb and vegetable garden, a place for hens, and a stone BBQ with inbuilt pizza oven). All way under the budget of getting trained experts to do them and some even under the budget I set myself.

My 2011 resolution was to do a really good deed one per month and I did that. That was inspired by December 2010 when I felt really good about myself for taking 4 random people stranded by snow in Dublin airport home to share in our Christmas dinner and celebrations. Two nutter Russians and two lovely french girls it was. Seems a bit lame to do the same thing for 2012 but it is all I can think of but I am also short of ideas on good deeds to do every month for 2012 having done all the ones I could think of in 2011. I guess I could repeat them but thats a bit lame too.

So really - I am dry - No good targets or Ideas on the cards. Help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

At Tax how about volunteering, another poster said it's something they want to do! I'm a scout leader and I love it, gives you a sense of giving back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

1. Stick to a fitness plan for the next 12months.
    2. Less surgar.
    3. Drink more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I've become quite reclusive over the past few years. Went 18 months without going to a nightclub and 6 months without going to a pub (and only turned 23 two weeks ago).

So this year I'm going to try and get out more. And if that means leaving the comfort of the couch and going to the pub more often for the odd sociable pint, well then I guess that's a sacrifice I'm just going to have to make! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Definitely do as you'll regret it when you are older if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Get fit.
    Get involved in more clubs and stuff.
    Start playing GAA again.
    Save.
    Start ignoring the ex (we work together and long story :D )
    Do an evening class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

1: Get down to some proper study for the rest of the school year.
    2: Lose a stone and a half in weight between now and September (and keep it off this time :rolleyes:)
    3: Enjoy the summers work while I have it, only 3 months of the year.
    4: Stop biting my nails (again).
    5: Try cut out the chocolate and drink more water.

Nothing life changing or impossible in there, but if I got that much done in 2012 I'd be pretty happy with myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Stop smoking.

Exercise more.

I'm only 27, these sporadic pains in my chest/lungs are not a good sign and can't continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Short version:Get my life un-f*cked.

Long Version:
    1. Get the hell out of dunnes (after over 6 years this is the key one and to be honest the only one I care about)
    2. Finish, and do well in my fetac course. (ok care about this too)
    3. Get back to the gym and swimming.
    4. Find a girl who's blind and/or drunk and/or insane enough to have something to do with me.
    5. Make a decision about going to oz or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I've become quite reclusive over the past few years. Went 18 months without going to a nightclub and 6 months without going to a pub (and only turned 23 two weeks ago).

So this year I'm going to try and get out more. And if that means leaving the comfort of the couch and going to the pub more often for the odd sociable pint, well then I guess that's a sacrifice I'm just going to have to make! :D

I've been like this myself quite a lot recently and found that I wasn't particularly happy about it either. It was weird, I'd sort of not want to go out but then feel a bit down that I did nothing over the weekend.

Anyway it's good to nip it in the bud. I hadn't been out for months and then went to see Noel Gallagher in the Olympia. I was so used to staying in I was considering cancelling and not going but I made myself go and it was good fun.

That gave me the going out bug again and I've been out a few times since.

Stick at it.

Pembily wrote: »
    At Tax how about volunteering, another poster said it's something they want to do! I'm a scout leader and I love it, gives you a sense of giving back :)

I work with students free a lot. Myself and the girlfriends all study Capoeira so I teach some of it on free to some of the students who cant afford to be paying for classes. I do the same with some of the meditation techniques I have explored. And when able I give grinds to students in Subjects I am proficient at. All free.

So whatever I think of, more volunteering is not going to be it I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

taxAHcruel, maybe you should try doing something selfish :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

wrote:
    My 2011 resolution was to do a really good deed one per month and I did that. That was inspired by December 2010 when I felt really good about myself for taking 4 random people stranded by snow in Dublin airport...

Did something similar, flying back into Dublin, got diverted to Shannon. A few people, Slovaks, on the plane who didn't speak English didn't know what was going on. Managed to get another girl on the plane who spoke Slovak to translate everything for them. When we got the bus provided by the airline back to Dublin, I ended up driving the lot to various parts of Dublin as no taxis were running.

Really felt good after it all :)

I think Irish people lost that friendliness when all the money came into the country.. Such a pity really as we were known around the world for being a welcoming friendly and helpful country. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

1. Get a new job. Out of work since May but hopeful that something will turn up in the new year.

2. Start my Masters in Law

3. Read more.

4. Lose a few pounds.

taxAHcruel, maybe you should try doing something selfish :confused:

I half considered making 2012 all about me and me alone. :) Alas having a 16/17 month old baby usually makes such things nigh impossible hehehe.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Really felt good after it all :)

Well done you. I mentioned having done so on a few forums, including on here and I did not find anyone else who had done the same as me.

Yet the images all over the news were of an airport full of people who not only would not make it home that Xmas day to their family but had to sit and look at the walls in Dublin Airport for it instead.

I couldn't stop myself jumping in the car and going off and filling the car with the first people I found which were a couple of funny vodka crazed russians and a couple of terminally beautiful french girls (most of my mates having seen pictures of our xmas afterwards were not pleased that I did not inform them of the presence of such beauties hehehe).

I was all geared up to do the same this year but no snow arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Larianne wrote: »
    Learn to drive.. before I'm 30. I encourage people to annoy me about this. Thanks!

I've been saying this since I was 17....even on my second provisional :o
    Sanjuro wrote: »
    To volunteer somewhere. Been meaning to do it for a while and kept putting it on the long finger. Now, i just gotta find somewhere to volunteer!

Ooooooh find yer nearest animal shelter walk the doggies-good for them and good for your health double awesomeness :cool:

My resolutions are also to get my life out of the poo poo hole it's currently in. Started the process just have to keep staying in the motivated mind frame....which can be difficult but well worth it in the end.

*continues listening to inspirational Rocky music*

:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

- Eat properly.
    - Learn to cook, not just for myself.
    - Clean myself up: shave, keep hair neat and tidy.
    - Be a bit more assertive, and have a bit more self-confidence in myself.
    - Dress properly.
    - Go to Germany, meet up again with this girl that I like, and take her out on a date.

I think it's traditional for new year's resolutions to fall at the first hurdle, but I've got a good feeling about this year. :)

Advertisement