Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burn out

• 13-12-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I have been working serious hours for the last 2 years along with studying and along with other stuff am experiencing burn out. A bit stresses, tired, lack of concentration and will have 3 months off in February.

What have you done to deal with burnout? The obvious examples are travelling, gym ect that I will be doing but I'm looking for some of the more unusual remedies.

Comments

Gardening, meditation, Cooking, DIY and running my wolf tend to be the things I do to get over the daily stresses and strains of work life. Of course over doing such things can lead to burn out too - and I have had to try and find the right balances to prevent such things happening.

Single handedly building a small house on my spare land was fun but not that correct balance it seems. Now that it is done I am concentrating on smaller projects. Never under estimate the value of "me time" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sun Holiday and not one where you go on the píss

Had my first break in two years in September - worked my ass off in final year, then straight into working in bars after that while I looked for an IT job in Cork - went straight into a new job while working out my notice in a bar on weekends, then started a better job a few months later and had to train in the mornings for that while working my notice in the old job...again.

Didn't take hols the entire time and by the time I went to Majorca with a few mates I just chilled by the pool listening to music, having my few beers in the evening and relaxed fully.

Felt so much better for it!

Catch up on sleep and relax to recharge first then plan on getting back into a routine with the gym etc. is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Sun Holiday and not one where you go on the píss
    Agreed. Excessive hangovers are not what a stressed out brain needs! Trust me. I have been on holidays and needed a holiday when i came back from them :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Might be an idea to have some time to just do abosultely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Get a massage or somesuch treat, long bath? long walk?

Put on some relaxing music, have some tasty food on the ready, some fine beer/whiskey and read a book.

Go to the cinema.

+1 for gardening, the weather might be a deterrent though :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My recipe:

Option 1:

A decent hotel with a spa and pool if possible in a city with a few sights. Go off season so it isn't packed with tourists.Plan for 4-5 days there chilling out.

Late breakfasts, or even better breakfast in bed
    Spend the mornings/afternoons wandering around the city looking for a decent cafe or two you can have a decent coffee with a book or two.
    A nice relaxed lunch
    A bit more strolling
    Soak in the pool/jacuzzi and/or sauna afterwards. A massage is also good if on offer.
    A nice dinner with some decent wine (not too much)
    Early enough to bed
    Repeat for the next few days.

Option 2:

As above with sun and a quiet beach somewhere off the beaten track..

Works for me everytime :D

Advertisement