Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can a Landlord do if?...

Options
  • 17-08-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with this one. I am living in a private rented accomodation since September 2010. I never signed a lease or contract from the Landlord, or verbally agreed on any minimum lease. I gave her 3 weeks deposit (330 euro) and pay my rent on time every week and haven't heard from her since.
    My problem is that I've just been offered a new job 4 hours away and need to start straight away. They have offered me accomodation and everything I will need to start with. I know I am supposed to give 4 weeks notice but I just don't have the time, with this unexpected news.
    I am happy for her to keep my deposit as I didn't give notice, but is there anything else she can do? As the deposit won't cover the full months notice, and there is some minor damage to the house due mainly due to my 4 year old (some drawing on walls that won't wash off, broken chair in kitchen..)
    All I have of hers is a number which she never answers. I have called numerous times to try tell her that the roof was damaged during a storm or other thing I though she would like to know. She never gave me an address and I don't even know her last name.
    The only thing I can think of doing is leaving a voicemail telling her I'm leaving and move out.
    Can she come after me for the rest of the money? Can she try to take me to court or does she have no case without a lease/contract?

Any help at all would be great,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

No lease = no leverage.

You're fine OP, go ahead landlord can't do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I'll probably be shot down for saying this...

I'd repair the chair and paint the wall and any other damage you caused.
    Clean the place.
    Take a date stamped photos of the place upon leaving.
    Leave a voicemail explaining your leaving and that she can keep the deposit.
    Don't leave any forwarding details and vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

once the money stops coming in she will know something is up !!

repair what you can - clean and tidy the place - inform the landlord you are leaving (if you pay weekly you only have to give a weeks notice) ...then pack up - if your landlord wants to inspect the place no problem - if not then move out and give the landlord 2 weeks and ask if any of the deposit will be returned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

RedXIV wrote: »
    No lease = no leverage.

You're fine OP, go ahead landlord can't do anything

No lease = A tenancy exists anyway and the landlord is entitled to notice regardless

The landlord is entitled to be compensated for repairs and maintenance beyond normal wear and tear.

However, the landlord is required to provide you with a contact address.

Do what you think is reasonable, then leave a note and lock the door behind you and best of luck in the new job.

Advertisement