Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

More silverware today!
    Hope the team get a great reception.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/clubrossie

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

whats the team for the next day is Harney fit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Weirdly nervous for this one, Sligo is one that could go either way from experience. Any news Re: Ward and Harney?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Team vs Sligo..2 changes from team that started against London. Ronan Stack comes in for injured Donal Ward at half back and Conor Daly replaces Donie Shine in the half forward line
    1. Darren O'Malley
    2. Sean McDermott
    3. Niall Carty
    4. Neil Collins
    5. Ronan Stack
    6. Niall Daly
    7. Ciaran Cafferkey
    8. Ian Kilbride
    9. Cathal Shine
    10. Conor Daly
    11. Cathal Cregg
    12. Enda Smith
    13. Diarmuid Murtagh
    14. Senan Kilbride
    15. Ciarain Murtagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pjmn

spiralism wrote: »
    Weirdly nervous for this one, Sligo is one that could go either way from experience. Any news Re: Ward and Harney?

... agree. With many looking at the CF re Mayo, and we off the back of an excellent league campaign Sligo would only love to turn us over. One point win will do me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm inclined to agree. Just get the win and move on.

I'd be very happy with a 3-4 point win after a tough game. It would mean there'd be no wild expectations for the final and Roscommon would be flying a bit under the radar what with people in general underrating Sligo and the usual rubbish about "if they can't beat Sligo by 9 or 10 points they've no business playing Mayo".

A little bit concerned about midfield, especially for kickouts. That's why I'm a little surprised that Donie Shine is not starting as he's quite effective on kickouts. Higgins and Healy are big losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree. Just get the win and move on.

I'd be very happy with a 3-4 point win after a tough game. It would mean there'd be no wild expectations for the final and Roscommon would be flying a bit under the radar what with people in general underrating Sligo and the usual rubbish about "if they can't beat Sligo by 9 or 10 points they've no business playing Mayo".

A little bit concerned about midfield, especially for kickouts. That's why I'm a little surprised that Donie Shine is not starting as he's quite effective on kickouts. Higgins and Healy are big losses.

Donie Shine picked up an injury last weekend. He was in form for Clann but he was under pressure to retain his spot fit or not.

Syferus wrote: »
    Donie Shine picked up an injury last weekend. He was in form for Clann but he was under pressure to retain his spot fit or not.

I agree that he's no certainty, but purely because of our fewer midfield options, I think having him drop deep for kickouts would certainly help out an area I'm worried about.

Senan having one of those frustrating days so far.

• Advertisement

They really need to change Carty, he's getting roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

If Sligo get the first score a draw is best left for Ros. Couldnt see a 7 pt swing on that tight pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

It looks like rumours of the Roscommon renaissance have been much exaggerated. Connaught final against Mayo would've been a great occasion, tis a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Chin up girls and boys.
    Ye are in the A side of the draw.

A QF v Dublin or Kerry is still possible if ye really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Barlett wrote: »
    It looks like rumours of the Roscommon renaissance have been much exaggerated. Connaught final against Mayo would've been a great occasion, tis a pity

Connaught final against Mayo would have be an embarrassment for the Ros. Championship football has shown them up to be an average side .

Chin up girls and boys.
    Ye are in the A side of the draw.

A QF v Dublin or Kerry is still possible if ye really want it.

The classless section of Mayo support showing itself for what it is - yet again!!

Is it any wonder the rest of Connacht has zero sympathy for the never-ending All-Ireland losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This is what happens when you flex your muscles during the FBD in January thinking your big men. Roscommon fell into the trap of back to back league campaigns and look a tired outfit tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The classless section of Mayo support showing itself for what it is - yet again!!

Is it any wonder the rest of Connacht has zero sympathy for the never-ending All-Ireland losses.

No I'm serious.
    The A side of the draw is weak, but the last survivors play the Munster or Leinster final losers and then Munster or Leinster final winners.

If Roscommon are really a team on the up then August Bank Holiday weekend should be the goal at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Everyone I know in Connacht supports Mayo when they playing someone from outside the province :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The truth is there are about 6 top teams in the country then there are 8 or so whipping boys. The standard of the remaining 19 is very closely matched when circumstance such as home advantage and missing players taken into account. It's a tough one for Rosscommon and sets them back a few years again in their journey to the top standard but it was always a potential bear trap. What it does for Sligo is debatable because it's hard to see anything other than a comfortable Mayo win in the CF. It is lovely to see some reward for hard working dedicated players who rarely get a day in the sun.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Everyone I know in Connacht supports Mayo when they playing someone from outside the province :confused::confused:

Everyone you know?

You don't know many then.

When I was younger that was definitely the case, but in the last 10 years or so, the 'new money' type of Mayo supporter makes a point in gloating and rubbing your nose in it when they win and never-ending whinging when they lose. I work with a lot of Galway people and a few Sligo and they hate Mayo more than any team in Ireland! I'm not exaggerating. It's actually hatred.

Even after putting up with the afore-mentioned nonsense, I still had tremendous sympathy for them after the reffing fiasco v Kerry last year, but that was for the players not the large amounts of gobsh*tes who follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Everyone you know?

When I was younger that was definitely the case, but in the last 10 years or so, the 'new money' type of Mayo supporter makes a point in gloating and rubbing your nose in it when they win and never-ending whinging when they lose. I work with a lot of Galway people and a few Sligo and they hate Mayo more than any team in Ireland! I'm not exaggerating. It's actually hatred.

Even after putting up with the afore-mentioned nonsense, I still had tremendous sympathy for them after the reffing fiasco v Kerry last year, but that was for the players not the large amounts of gobsh*tes who follow them.

I know you are hurtin' but give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Everyone you know?

That's a lot of hurt you're carrying around there mate
    And I'm from Galway - honestly don't know anyone who holds this vendetta against Mayo (outside friendly rivalry)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Everyone you know?

Is that chip digging into your shoulder?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

totally embarasing, those fellas should be ashamed of thenselfs, they taught all they had to do was to show up before the big game against mayo, useless shower, mayo would beat us out the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Everyone you know?

Fr Tod posted a genuine comment and thats the only sort of response you can muster. Poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Everyone you know?

The cringe is strong in this one.

Re: sligo match, hats off to them first to every ball, executed a relatively straightforward strategy to perfection and took all their opportunities and a well deserved win.
    Ros looked worryingly pedestrian vs London, and carried it into today. Look at the score Cavendish put up on London, that's proper championship effort. We were second to every ball today, especially in defence. Genuinely don't think anyone won a contested ball in defence in first half bar a scrappy break in the middle. Sligo took some good scores but Jesus we were so far off the pace it's worrying.
    Hope we can get it together for the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

keep to your own page instead of coming into the ros one trying to start scraps

Of course you'd never do that, would you Tom...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Were Roscommon in a big strength and conditioning phase up to quite late? If you don't ease off your sprint power won't be in the legs.
    Pedestrian versus London and off the pace versus Sligo. Roscommon couldn't run was the biggest problem I seen.
    People were happy to see Sligo win as applies to any underdog. As long as underdog plays football fair which they did really enjoyed that game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Everyone you know?

Wow, that's a serious amount of bile to spouting, it's only football.

The man who deserves the largest amount of blame for the loss against Sligo is John Evans. Everytime I hear him talk it sounds like he's trying to secure a job for the following year. He talked up a talented group of very young players with wild talk of All Irelands in 3 years when he should have been dampening down expectations and protecting them from the passionate and at times over optimistic supporters.

Advertisement