Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you "one of the lads".

Options
  • 12-03-2010 6:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I'd a conversation about this tonight. If you don't know what I'm talking about from the title the answer is probably no. There is a certain feeling which is unique to male group bonding which is alluring and intoxicating. It makes men in groups do stupid things they wouldn't other wise do, but it can also make for a lot of camaraderie and fun. I can't really define it. I've a group of various mates, however only one grouping would I consider "the lads". I never got involved with such grouping in school, I'd hasard a guess that I was both too smart and too strange to be a sheep (A definite connotation to being a lad).

The questions I pose to this forum are these, do you consider yourself to be one of the lads? How do you define it and is it a good or bad thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I know what you're saying. I was definitely one of the lads, but as time has moved on we've grown apart and we all have our own concerns and responsibilities now.

I'd still consider myself a lad at heart, but the head wins out far more often these days :)

For me being one of the lads simply meant having a group of mates, could be as few as 2 or as many as a dozen, who you would stick with through thick and thin. You hung out together, partied together, stuck up for each other and looked out for each other. Most of my group of lads were from sports teams that I played with. The bond started on the pitch and the training ground and continued into our social lifes.

An example to give of this happened about 10-12 years ago. We were all playing for a senior football club, things were going well and everything was fine. The manager got a raw deal from the club and left to join another team, around 15/16 of us left and became the backbone of the new club. We dropped a division to do it, but we wouldn't leave one of our own hung out to dry.

So for me anyway, being one of the lads meant being part of a group that had mutual respect and each others backs so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I don't see myself as one of the lads to be honest. For me being one of the lads is a negative thing. That's down to my own experiences growing up with sh¡tty male friends though.

Being one of the lads conjures up images of being needlessly violent, drinking to excess, having no goals or drive to do anything bar starting fights and smoking weed. Again this is only my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Being one of the lads would mean that I had any friends. I don't have any. That's how I roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think it depends on term..... or maybe as a collective in certain terms....

to me a lad is young man 18 to 24 but striek more down to mentality behavour and taste, in things from food to music....

how many 28 year olds do you know who have the the maentlity of a 16 year old... to me that would be a lad....

But when my circle of friends are going out you get the 2 minute calls whats the crack are ya comin out , to which you reply whos out? the lads.... doesnt mean that for one second we are lads just refer to it as term of collective well with in our group...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I've always referred to my guy friends as "the lads". Who "the lads" are gradually changed throughout school, but it never included more than 6 guys, and now there's 4 of us, my closest friends.

When I refer to "the lads" I do not mean the huge, homogeneous group of guys who drink to excess, wear the same striped blue shirt and jeans when they go out and stand around in a circle in the middle of the dancefloor with their arms around each other at the end of a night singing along to Oasis or whatever generic song happens to be playing before they precede to exit the club and start fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Nope, I'm not part of a group of lads. I don't hang around with a group or go drinking regularly or call to their houses or anything like that...looks like I just don't do male bonding.

I rented a room from a fellow who owned his own house last year while I was working in the west in a middle sized town. He was about my age or older. Almost every evening from 5 o clock on, his mates would call and they would hang out watching TV and talking about stuff. No drinking, no weed smoking, just sitting watching TV and talking about people they knew and what was going on in the town/gossip etc and leave when it was time for bed. There would be regulars who called every evening without fail and then those who would call twice a week or so.

In the weekends, they would drink in the pubs together as well in the town, and back to his house then with the fast food after the pub. Hardly a day went by without them seeing each other.

Maybe it's just me, but it kind of surprised me. They had all gone to school together, and worked in the town since then. Had they being doing this since their early teens? Are they going to do it till they die (or get married)?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Used to have a fairly tight knit group of friends, but like others, we've grown apart. A couple of years back we did this big reunion thing where we all went on holiday together, regardless of where we were living at the time.

It was ok, but people had gotten older and people had changed. It just wasn't the same as when we where in our late teens to early 20's.

A big part of the split probably was down to 1 guy. I think all male groups have that guy who's the glue of the pack, organizes the night outs and generally gets on with everyone and is liked by everyone. Well he left the country and the rest of us just wouldn't meet up any more, and if we did, it would only be a few of us as the person organizing it wouldn't invite the guys he never really got on with. It slowly fizzled from there and I maybe talk regularly to 1 of the guys now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Nope, I'm not part of a group of lads. I don't hang around with a group or go drinking regularly or call to their houses or anything like that...looks like I just don't do male bonding.

I rented a room from a fellow who owned his own house last year while I was working in the west in a middle sized town. He was about my age or older. Almost every evening from 5 o clock on, his mates would call and they would hang out watching TV and talking about stuff. No drinking, no weed smoking, just sitting watching TV and talking about people they knew and what was going on in the town/gossip etc and leave when it was time for bed. There would be regulars who called every evening without fail and then those who would call twice a week or so.

In the weekends, they would drink in the pubs together as well in the town, and back to his house then with the fast food after the pub. Hardly a day went by without them seeing each other.

Maybe it's just me, but it kind of surprised me. They had all gone to school together, and worked in the town since then. Had they being doing this since their early teens? Are they going to do it till they die (or get married)?:pac:

thats like my circle we all went to school to getaher we went throught hte smoking weed faze... going out having big partys and genrally having fun... 5 years later we still get drunk we still al call over to the gaff, and spend time with each other while yes where all growing old we all do are different things but thats what friends are... People you hang with.. We all party we all drink to getaher those with gfs havent got as much time as other but one things for certain, you gotta make time for your friends....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

no. in fact the lad mentality ****in disgusts me. i just have to laugh in embarrassment at some of them:o...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

no. in fact the lad mentality ****in disgusts me. i just have to laugh in embarrassment at some of them:o...

You are looking at the purely negative connotation of the term though.

The lads illustrated below
    n6404633590_6741.jpg

wreck my head and Ive never been,nor would I ever partake in that type of group.

However the lads like Jeremiah 33:3 described would be how I would describe a group of my friends that Ive known for a long time.

Still,at almost 31 years of age Id be kinda insulted if someone referred to me as a lad,Im a man dag nabbit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

thats cool man yeah im just talking about those who post endless pics of their nights out up on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

watch the language Gonnaplayrugby, this ain't some street corner ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Being "one of the lads" is all relative IMO, it's all about being able to blend nicely into a group of lads that you share common interests with. There are no groups that have exclusive ownership over the term. I mean for example, if you are not a fan of sports, you shouldn't feel immasculised because you can't blend into a crowd that does.

For me personally, within the circle I'm a part of, being "one of the lads" is being able to enjoy activities with other males such as watching sports, going out on the town with each other, and playing games with each other such as poker or consoles.

Also, I think within every group of men being "one of the lads" means that you trust each other, that you can talk to each other about a problem and know that it won't go any further.

Finally, banter is involved of course. :P :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Will wrote: »
    I don't see myself as one of the lads to be honest.
    Being one of the lads conjures up images of being needlessly violent, drinking to excess, having no goals or drive to do anything bar starting fights and smoking weed. Again this is only my view.
    It's also my view. The boys I went to school with were generally a good lot, but I never got involved in any social life with them. I've seen too many boys who cluster together, get drunk and cause trouble and can't think of anything better to do. I've never wanted anything to do with them. I was a loner then and I prefer to stay that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sometimes, yes. It doesn't instantly equate to being aggressive or shallow although those things are not instantly precluded either.

It's not something I analyse and it's certainly not something I'm ashamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thats cool man yeah im just talking about those who post endless pics of their nights out up on facebook.

You don't really know what the rest of us are talking about.
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Being "one of the lads" is all relative IMO, it's all about being able to blend nicely into a group of lads that you share common interests with. There are no groups that have exclusive ownership over the term. I mean for example, if you are not a fan of sports, you shouldn't feel immasculised because you can't blend into a crowd that does.

For me personally, within the circle I'm a part of, being "one of the lads" is being able to enjoy activities with other males such as watching sports, going out on the town with each other, and playing games with each other such as poker or consoles.

Also, I think within every group of men being "one of the lads" means that you trust each other, that you can talk to each other about a problem and know that it won't go any further.

Finally, banter is involved of course. :P :pac:

I think LZ5by5 has it. The type of grouping I'm calling "the lads" will often centre around sport. It's about being part of a team, being just another pleb, one of many. Theres comfort in that, comfort that you're not alone that you're involved in and contribute to something bigger then yourself. I'm never really had it, too much of a individual, but I've had tasters.

Boston wrote: »
    I think LZ5by5 has it. The type of grouping I'm calling "the lads" will often centre around sport. It's about being part of a team, being just another pleb, one of many. Theres comfort in that, comfort that you're not alone that you involved in and contribute to something bigger then yourself. I'm never really had it, too much of a individual, but I've had tasters.

I'd agree, it's simply about being a part of something. It's not a case of being "accepted" IMO, it's more about knowing that you're contributing to a cohesive team spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

It's about being part of a team, being just another pleb, one of many. Theres comfort in that, comfort that you're not alone that you involved in and contribute to something bigger then yourself. I'm never really had it, too much of a individual, but I've had tasters.
    I'd hasard a guess that I was both too smart and too strange to be a sheep (A definite connotation to being a lad).

i dont really see how you turn being part of a group of close male friends into being a stupid, loutish sheep. i think most guys have a few close friends who take centre stage and then a larger cast of B-list friends. i would be a a core member of two groups and have a guest spot in 3 or 4 others. the groups dont really mingle and probably wouldnt get on.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i dont really see how you turn being part of a group of close male friends into being a stupid, loutish sheep.

I don't know how you got stupid loutish sheep from my comment.

Might have been something to do with describing people as plebs. ;)

• Advertisement

A pleb is just an ordinary person.

A pleb is just an ordinary person.

Ah right, I always thought it was a word with negative cannotations, all the conexts I've seen the word used in have been negative.

Well, its tricky, technically a pleb is a working class person without culture or high education. I'd considerate to mean the majority of people who arn't "upper class", if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Some real **** people in this thread.. you'd swear having mates automatically turned you into some kind of football hooligan :rolleyes:

nm wrote: »
    Some real **** people in this thread.. you'd swear having mates automatically turned you into some kind of football hooligan :rolleyes:

Yes, I have picked up a similar message, I perhaps may have put it more subtley though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Yas have it lads*, to be one of the lads is just to be accepted and liked by a group of like minded males, and feeling that your contribution has been worth giving.

*see, I also just refer to males as lads :)

nm wrote: »

Having mates is different to having a group of lads. You can have mates without having to conform to any grouping. What most people seem to have is one or two close friends, which then are part of a larger grouping of mates. Inside that grouping there are other sub groups of one or two. A group of lads are all pretty much equal and all friends with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

To me, describing someone as "one of the lads" is to describe a fairly average unassuming kind of bloke. I would never really have associated the term with a pack mentality.

Big difference between "the lads" an a lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm close to about 2 groups, both would be known as 'the lads' by different people, I moved house four years ago so that's the reason for that. They're all 16/17/18, so close my age, 15, and most are in my year. Neither groups are the type to go out looking for a fight on a night out.

There are 3 other groups of 'the lads' that I go around with the odd time. One of the groups are all in my year, they're sound, but can be annoying with fights and stuff.
    One of the others are all in 6th year, I'm in 5th, they wouldn't go looking for a fight and are all sound out.
    The last group are the ones I go drinking with mostly, all older than me, 18-24, but I look old enough to go to pubs etc with them. They don't go looking for fights but they'll take one if it comes their way and they'd be there to stand up for me if I was in trouble or someone was after me.

Advertisement