Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY+ archiving to DVD

Options
  • 04-11-2003 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any experience of this using a standalone recorder? What's the quality like? Ideally I would like a recorder that accepts DVD-RW or DVD+RW - any suggestions?

Comments

I have a pioneer dvr7000 which handles minus disks only.
    But it records to broadcast quality, the same as Sky plus.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for the speedy reply man. Unfortunately it's a bit out of my price range - £799 stg from amazon

Ah you can get it cheaper than that, it's against the rules to discuss this here, so pm me if you want links.
    also try the home entertainment board here

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thrillseeker

I've got a Sony dual format recorder (€750) and while it records to both +/- R and RW, the manual says it won't record 16:9 to + disks. I don't know whether that means that it would record them in 4:3 format and that you would have to switch the picture manually. Must try it.

Generally speaking though, i'm very happy with recording to -R and -RW in terms of quality of end result. The GUI is a bit clunky though in terms of assigning title names.
    BTW it only supports "thumbnails" on menus in a speacial VR Mode which isn't readable on other non-Sony machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

You can get a Grundig DVD+RW recorder/Player in Currys for €350.
    DVD +RW is the only format thats going to make it long term.
    Reasons:
    +Better quality
    +Dynamic Random Access recording. (Leaves no gaps on re-recordable disks .)
    +Dynamic bit rate encoding. (less movement/less data)
    +Cheaper blank disks
    +Cheaper recorders.
    +No finalising needed on re-recordable disks.
    +Disk menu accessable on all DVD players. Similar to normal pre-recorded DVD's.
    etc etc
    Need I go on.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement