Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ongoing religious scandals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

So...
    The Catholic Church... says that The Irish Times has an "Anti-Catholic" Bias and
    John Waters... says that The Irish Times has a "Liberal Bias"

Are they subscribed to a different Irish Times or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

So...
    The Catholic Church... says that The Irish Times has an "Anti-Catholic" Bias and
    John Waters... says that The Irish Times has a "Liberal Bias"

Are they subscribed to a different Irish Times or something?

No they're just subscribing to the right wing delusion that anyone who doesn't bow down and scrape their foreheads before them is a commie b'stard deserving of no rights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/04/23/toon-it-may-concern/

I guess he's getting the last word! :pac:

turner1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

With John Paul II’s canonisation on Sunday I've decided that I will now class him as the upcoming patron saint of child abusers,

I figure this is fitting since he was in power for 80's and 90's and up until 2005 and the previous pope reported directly to him, he was heavily involved in the cover ups and the church clearly are fast tracking him to saint hood to draw away from this.

http://www.thejournal.ie/canonisation-3d-1429305-Apr2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

Cabaal wrote: »
    With John Paul II’s canonisation on Sunday I've decided that I will now class him as the upcoming patron saint of child abusers,

I figure this is fitting since he was in power for 80's and 90's and up until 2005 and the previous pope reported directly to him, he was heavily involved in the cover ups and the church clearly are fast tracking him to saint hood to draw away from this.

I mentioned somewhere else that the RCC doesn't (now) claim that Saints are perfect just that they are very Holy. Is it just me or does that smack of a certain Orwellian double speak?

I even looked up the word in a dictionary

Holy : dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.

So the RCC is quite right. You can be an unmitigated Bar steward, cover up child abuse on a mega scale BUT still be Holy.

There you go... Saint JPII patron saint of paedos and child abusers... it has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' ... but I will wipe it off my boots later.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/04/28/head-of-church-during-wide-scale-pedophilia-now-a-saint/
    The criteria for sainthood in the Catholic faith has varied over the years but with the last 15 years seeing a decline in the church’s standing the current Pontiff Pope Francis has confusingly chose to canonise someone who largely ignored the plight of children who were raped by priests.
    “In fairness like it was only like 5,000 priests who raped children, that’s not a lot really in the grand scheme of things,” offered life long attender of religious services Brian Youngs, “I wouldn’t exactly call the systematic shutting down of avenues of investigations as a cover up, would you? I mean he was only the leader of the entire church.”

I know its parody, but its basically true.

Next month I'm expecting Jimmy Savile to be canonized, sure why not? He made alot of people happy just like john Paul did, that seems to be the only requirement

...Next month I'm expecting Jimmy Savile to be canonized...

He was already a papal knight so I seem to recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Bellatori wrote: »
    He was already a papal knight so I seem to recall.

Didn't they strip him of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

pauldla wrote: »

Oooh, Matron!

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-20108980

so they'll say thats a mistake, but trying to make John Paul a saint is the say forward
    :rolleyes:

I guess given John Paul knighted him he was in good company, interesting to note that there's no actual confirmation that the title has been actually removed.,

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-20108980

so they'll say thats a mistake, but trying to make John Paul a saint is the say forward
    :rolleyes:

I guess given John Paul knighted him he was in good company, interesting to note that there's no actual confirmation that the title has been actually removed.,

I'm sure John Paul was more than a little embarrassed when Jimmy showed up with a Pearly Gate Pass - That must be have been one awkward conversation with god....

...I guess given John Paul knighted him he was in good company, interesting to note that there's no actual confirmation that the title has been actually removed.,

I have always thought that the rush to remove titles and awards posthumously was pretty futile. It doesn't make up for ignoring the problem in the first place and doing nothing about it for 30+ years or so.

Its the obverse of posthumous pardons. They still hanged Bentley and shot the WWI soldiers for cowardice. Is he un-hanged or are they un-shot? Nope. They are still dead. Killed by stupidity.

I know in the latter cases the families take it seriously and I am being insensitive and unreasonable but really it is the idiots the other side of the decisions that never get taken to task. Maybe, when they pardoned Bentley they should have carved a posthumous conviction for murder on the judge who clearly wanted Bentley hanged as he could not hang the underage gunman Craig.

Sorry about the rant but it is one of those things that really gets to me. There are never any consequences for bad decisions by those in authority.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Peter Ferguson suggests that priests should follow the same law as the rest of us when it comes to reporting child abuse. Not everybody agrees:

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/confession-child-abuse-catholic-church-1437021-Apr2014

robindch wrote: »
    Peter Ferguson suggests that priests should follow the same law as the rest of us when it comes to reporting child abuse. Not everybody agrees

I read the article with some interest. It is a well written piece that gets right to the heart of the matter.

I am an atheist and really have NO time at all for religion and beliefs based on invisible friends etc... etc... however it is clear to me that the RCC cannot give way on this. If it is possible to break the seal of confessional for child abuse then the next question is "What about murder?" and so the argument goes until there is no seal at all.

An interesting question has just crossed my mind. It is an offence in the UK to withhold from the police any information about a forthcoming act of terrorism. Wives of terrorists have been charged under the act for knowing but doing nothing. I am sure everyone can see where I am going with this. A terrorist goes into confession and tells a priest that he is planning a bombing... the priest does nothing... this comes to light later when the terrorist is dead/tried/arrested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It is interesting.

I think that it's just common sense to break the seal to stop a child abuser and honestly I would worry about the sanity of a priest who would prioritise the seal over the welfare of a child.

I'm curious about the law on this though. If someone were to come up to me, a normal citizen, and say "I'm abusing my child"/"I murdered my wife and this is how I did it"/"I'm going to set off a bomb on O'Connell St" and I don't go to the Guards, am I legally at fault there?

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    It is interesting.

I think that it's just common sense to break the seal to stop a child abuser and honestly I would worry about the sanity of a priest who would prioritise the seal over the welfare of a child.

I'm curious about the law on this though. If someone were to come up to me, a normal citizen, and say "I'm abusing my child"/"I murdered my wife and this is how I did it"/"I'm going to set off a bomb on O'Connell St" and I don't go to the Guards, am I legally at fault there?

I think it's intended for people in professions that would come accross these people in the course of their work.

It is interesting.

Not in the UK

I quote
    "In the criminal law, an omission, or failure to act, will constitute an actus reus (Latin for "guilty act") and give rise to liability only when the law imposes a duty to act and the defendant is in breach of that duty. In the criminal law, at common law, there was no general duty of care owed to fellow citizens."

So there would have to be a specific law to make it a requirement. There is, in the case of acts of terrorism.

I have just done some looking for the UK and there is a lot about reporting where money is concerned!! proceeds of Crime Act and Terrorism Act both have a financial reporting side!!! Why is it always money?! I did find also, eventually...

Terrorism Acts

There is a legal obligation under the Terrorism Acts to disclose to the police, as soon as reasonably practicable, any information which we know or believe might be of material assistance in:

a. preventing the commission of an act of terrorism anywhere in the world
    b. securing the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of a person in the UK, for an offence involving the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

In general, no. The crime of misprision of felony was removed with the introduction of the Criminal Justice Act in 1997.

However, Section 42 of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010 states:

"A designated person who knows, suspects or has reasonable grounds to suspect, on the basis of information obtained in the course of carrying on business as a designated person, that another person has been or is engaged in an offence of money laundering or terrorist financing shall report to the Garda Síochána and the Revenue Commissioners that knowledge or suspicion or those reasonable grounds."

This legislation also makes it a crime to withhold information regarding money laundering even if it is obtained in the confessional.

When this bill was passed there wasn't a peep out of the church regarding the seal of confession. Strange don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    ... misprision...

New word for the day for me.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    This legislation also makes it a crime to withhold information regarding money laundering even if it is obtained in the confessional.

When this bill was passed there wasn't a peep out of the church regarding the seal of confession. Strange don't you think?

It is actually, the rcc is one of the biggest money launderers around, working hand in glove with the various organised crime syndicates in southern Italy to wash their money clean through the Vatican Bank, as disclosed by Vatileaks.

• Advertisement

[...] the rcc is one of the biggest money launderers around [...]
    Last year, I dropped by the rather wonderful/partially awful mosque in Cordoba - had to pay cash; wouldn't take plastic. I'm not sure if this was connected with the ongoing money laundering problems at the Vatican Bank.

As somebody working in the electronic payments industry, seeing a major tourist attraction refuse to accept cards is unbelievably suspicious. They've a capacity to launder millions, in or out, without having to lift so much as a pious finger.

Last year, I dropped by the rather wonderful/partially awful mosque in Cordoba - had to pay cash; wouldn't take plastic. I'm not sure if this was connected with the ongoing money laundering problems at the Vatican Bank.

As somebody working in the electronic payments industry, seeing a major tourist attraction refuse to accept cards is unbelievably suspicious. They've a capacity to launder millions, in or out, without having to lift so much as a pious finger.

"In God we trust, everybody else is strictly cash"?

La Repubblica claims that one of the Vatican's front men, Cardinal Bertone, has moved into a 6,500 sqf apartment with his three lady assistants. Bertone says they doubled the size of the apartment, but even still, a huge apartment is fine since his size is normal for the Vatican and anyway, somebody else will be using the apartment after him.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/cardinal-bertone-defends-himself-against-accusations-of-luxury
    CNA wrote:
    Vatican City, Apr 29, 2014 / 12:00 am (CNA/EWTN News).- In an open letter, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone has addressed accusations that he had angered Pope Francis with his “luxurious” new residence, saying he and the Pope are on good terms.

“I am personally grateful to Pope Francis for having called me April 23 to express his solidarity and his disappointment for the media attacks about the apartment, of which he had been informed as soon as the article was published,” the emeritus Secretary of State wrote in an open letter published in the magazines of the archdioceses of Vercelli and Genoa, both of which he led for a time. Italian daily La Repubblica published an article April 20 claiming that the cardinal was moving into a lavish 6,500 square foot apartment in the Vatican’s San Carlo Palace, while Pope Francis has been urging clerics to adopt a modest lifestyle.

According to La Repubblica, the Pope himself had been angered by the luxury of Cardinal Bertone’s new apartment. The paper claimed that the restructure combines two apartments, one formerly the home of the head of the gendarmerie, and another once home to a Vatican monsignor. Three nuns who worked with him while he was Secretary of State will live with him in his new residence.

San Carlo Palace is a few steps from Domus Sanctae Marthae, the Vatican guesthouse where Pope Francis resides. La Repubblica’s article caused a certain media frenzy in Italy. Cardinal Bertone did not make any official statement, but in the end decided to send a letter to the weekly magazines of the two dioceses where he had been ordinary, in order “to thank the friends” from the dioceses who showed him support for the media reports and also for “those who may have been surprised by the news.”

Cardinal Bertone stressed that the source of the article “doubled the size” of the apartment he is going to live in, and complained that “it was even said that the Pope angered with me for living in so much luxury.” He explained that the apartment “is temporarily given to me” and that “after me, someone else will be living in it.” He added that the apartment is a typical size for the Vatican palaces, and that he renovated it “at my own expense.”

“As Pope Saint John XXIII used to say, ‘I do not stop to collect the stones launched against me’,” Cardinal Bertone wrote, concluded the letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Anyone that looks to this organisation for guidance on how to be a good person is a fcuking idiot.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/christian-brothers-asked-abuse-accusers-pay-costs-says-lawyer

MrP

http://www.thejournal.ie/catholic-church-1444522-May2014/

A TOTAL OF 164 new allegations of sexual abuse were reported to the Catholic Church’s child protection watchdog between April last year and the end of March 2014.

This dates to last month, but its still pretty sickening

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/vatican-misled-un-committee-on-compensation-to-magdalene-women-1.1746416
    Claims made by the Vatican in a submission to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) last December were so inaccurate, it prompted Minister for Justice Alan Shatter to write to Rome seeking clarification, The Irish Times has learned.

The Vatican asserted to the UNCRC that the four religious congregations that ran Magdalene laundries in Ireland were willing to pay part of a compensation scheme developed by the State for women who had been in the laundries.

However, two of the religious congregations concerned have since repeated their unwillingness to contribute to any compensation scheme for the women.

Catholic church's "child protection watchdog" give "glowing report" to Dublin’s Catholic archdiocese!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/dublin-archdiocese-gets-glowing-report-in-review-1.1792129

About as reliable as Bill Gates suggesting everyone use Internet Explorer for it's new security features.

Catholic church's "child protection watchdog" give "glowing report" to Dublin’s Catholic archdiocese!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/dublin-archdiocese-gets-glowing-report-in-review-1.1792129

About as reliable as Bill Gates suggesting everyone use Internet Explorer for it's new security features.

I think the "glowing" part of it was, "yeah they are actually doing stuff to try and prevent this happening in the future, unlike the other dioces, but work needs some serious improving still", well that's what I got from RTE radio.

Well when i gave it some thought i realizing that we're dealing with an organization in which not actively helping paedophiles evade justice is progress.

So i guess given the current context - getting a positive report was not going to be all that difficult. So.. congrats to them i guess - way to keep the bar good and low.

The RCC in Chile is being investigated for running its own baby-stealing program:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/15/chile-catholic-priests-investigated-stolen-babies
    The Catholic church in Chile is under investigation over allegations that priests played a central role in a network that stole newborn babies from single mothers.

Police investigators are now probing dozens of cases in which unmarried women who became pregnant were pressured by priests to give up their child for adoption. Those who refused were anaesthetised during delivery and, upon awakening, told that the child had died. The healthy babies were hidden from their biological mothers and given away in order to be raised by married couples in "traditional" Catholic families.

Church leaders now admit they have known about the network for at least 10 years. Unlike in Spain and Argentina, where babies were stolen from families considered to be too poor or too subversive to raise the children well, the motivation in Chile was to shield the reputations of well-off families from the social stigma of unmarried motherhood.

Most of the cases now being investigated date from the 1970s and 1980s, but some were reported in 2005. Chile's child protection agency – Sername – has now opened an investigation and is working with detectives to determine how many children are involved. Documents from the Sername investigation describe how parents were tricked into believing that their baby had died.

Matias Troncoso, 33, a well-known Chilean photographer, was one such baby. Troncoso always knew he was adopted, but when he began asking questions about his biological mother, the answers did not add up. His birth was not registered until he was six years old, and the clinic where he was born refused to release his records. The doctor who delivered him was losing his memory, but enough details leaked out that Troncoso began to suspect a plot.

Last month his suspicions were confirmed when Chilean investigative news site Ciper reported the allegations. In a series of online articles, the collective's reporters tracked down and documented an underground network of wealthy families, gynaecologists, social workers, lawyers and, at the heart of the scheme, Gerardo Joannon, a gregarious and popular priest. Troncoso, who ended up as the single son of a loving, upper-class family, had nothing but praise for his adoptive parents and said they never hid the fact that he was adopted. But he was extremely critical of the role played by the church. "They had funerals with empty caskets," he said.

Father Joannon has admitted working with 10 doctors who helped coordinate the adoptions. "A young single woman who had a baby was looked at very badly," he said when confronted by Ciper reporters in March. "I wouldn't say it scrubbed out their life, but it was something close to that. Nobody wanted to marry them." Joannon insists his role was limited. He told Ciper: "The only thing I did was put [the pregnant young women] in contact with a doctor who made the effort to find families that were desiring to have a child."

Interviewed by a Chilean TV crew, Joannon declared, "I am not going to help [the investigation] with anything, I have nothing left to say." Church officials then announced that Joannon has been ordered to refrain from speaking further about the cases, which investigators now believe involves six Santiago-area hospitals.

Father Joannon insists he only participated in underground adoptions in which the biological mother agreed to "donate" the baby to a second family. But at least one mother has said he pressured her to give up her child, and alleges that when she refused, he participated in the disappearance of her newborn daughter. A second mother described Joannon stalking the maternity ward, pressuring her to hand over her newborn. Several other priests are alleged to have been involved in the scheme, but have not been named.

Catholic leaders in Chile have distanced themselves from Joannon. His weekly mass was suspended in April and Alex Vigueras, a spokesman for the church said it was clear that the babies were taken without consent. "What I find most troubling is to have said that the children died, knowing that it was not the case." Vigueras said that Joannon and the baby-snatching ring had "committed an injustice … various rights have been violated." In a communiqué from the church, Vigueras promised to collaborate with investigations by Chilean law enforcement agencies.

A website set up by victims has logged dozens of alleged cases. Some of the inquiries come from parents looking for their children and others from children looking for their parents. "Joannon made the contacts but he is just one lead on this problem," said Arturo Fellay, whose wife is searching for her biological parents. "There are many other cases of boys and girls who were said to be dead and were taken away or given or sold to families under a secret that was kept for years."

Asked about the ethics and honesty of holding funeral services for newborn children who in fact were alive, Joannon told reporters from Ciper, "I never held a funeral mass … these were masses where thanks were given to God for that day in which the young woman made such a tremendous sacrifice." Pressed with evidence by parents that funeral services were indeed held, Joannon then said he was "sure that [the baby] was dead. The doctor told me [the baby] was dead."

Troncoso, the photographer who is now searching for his biological mother wants answers. "I don't know my birthday. I don't know my [biological] mother" he said. "These woman entered the clinic. They were put to sleep and when they woke up were told 'Your baby has died.' Basically it was kidnapping."

Troncoso says he is not interested in filing criminal charges. "Justice is not just the whip of vengeance," he said. "It's essentially about truth. How can you take a baby from a mother and convince yourself that you are doing a good deed?"

• Advertisement

^^^ And perhaps in the UK too:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/18/english-catholics-tricked-out-of-babies
    We need to look closer to home (Scandal of Chile's baby-snatching priests, 16 May). Thousands of young unmarried girls in the UK were in a similar position in the 1950s to 70s. I like many others was coerced into giving up my baby in the 1965 by the Catholic church. My only crime was that I was not married. We were never told that we were entitled to free nursery places and that there was help out there to enable us to care for our babies. We were demoralised, browbeaten and humiliated by the church and made to carry out hard physical labour, such as scrubbing floors on our hands and knees until just before our babies were born.

We had pressure put on us by being told our babies would be shunned and called names at school and that they would hate us for keeping them and not giving them a father. We were tricked into allowing our babies to be taken out of the nursery for so-called doctor's examinations or to be checked over by the matron , only to have our babies given to adopters who were told that we didn't want our babies. We were left distraught and crying and just told to get on with it as we no longer had a child.

We were told that we were sinners, whores, bad girls and many more awful things were said to us. It was constant humiliation all day and they wore us down with their nastiness and we had nowhere to turn for help or support, as they made sure that they isolated us as much as possible. The ultimate argument was that we were under 21 years of age and so had to do as we were told. It is not just Chile and Ireland that treated unmarried mothers in this barbaric way and we have never had an apology from the Catholic church.

Few bad eggs, doesn't represent the true nature of the Church, must not rush to hasty judgements, think of all the good work, acted in good faith, such were the times, etc etc etc.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Few bad eggs, doesn't represent the true nature of the Church, must not rush to hasty judgements, think of all the good work, acted in good faith, such were the times, etc etc etc.

:mad:

Replace 'the Church' with 'FF' and that is nearly exactly what my mother said to me on the phone yesterday.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Replace 'the Church' with 'FF' and that is nearly exactly what my mother said to me on the phone yesterday.

Did you ask her to define "a few"?

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Atleast with a political party Td's can loose votes and not be re-elected, as such the people in charge can change pretty quickly and with them viewpoints and policy's can change

The catholic church on the other hand, the basically stay until they die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nodin wrote: »

Sure it was only the ones with any kind of power who did the damage love,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »

It became somewhat fraught...once I got over the initial shock and my brain began to process what I was hearing...I may have roared*...but apparently Sean Lemass.

Sean Lemass makes it all worthwhile.

*yes, I roared at me mammy. I am ****e at being 'Irish'....

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/05/23/just-saying-no/
    RTE reports:

A United Nations Committee has criticised what it calls “the continued refusal” by the four religious orders that ran the Magdalene laundries in Ireland to contribute to a redress fund for survivors of abuse.

The congregations are the Irish Sisters of Charity, the Good Shepherd Sisters, the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity and the Sisters of Mercy.

They say they are helping in other ways, chiefly by continuing to provide residential care for about 130 former laundry workers.

So they;ll look after the people they treated like **** but they won't compensate victims......should the priests do the same for the children they abused?

Oops.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/24/chicago-area-prn-hating-catholic-priest-arrested-for-exposing-himself-at-a-gas-station/
    Raw Story wrote:
    A Chicago-area Catholic priest,who has campaigned in his parish against Internet pornography, has been arrested for publicly exposing himself at a gas station, reports WREX13. Monsignor Aaron R. Brodeski, 44, was charged with two misdemeanor counts of public indecency relating to an incident at a Road Ranger Gas Station, where witnesses say he exposed himself inside the gas station and then again in the parking lot.

According to Winnebego County Sheriff Deputy Chief Dominic Iasparro, Brodeski’s actions were observed by adults but no children were present. Employees at the gas station contacted authorities who were able to track Brodeski down after being provided with his license plate number. Following the issuance of a warrant, Brodeski turned himself in to authorities and was released after posting bail.

Brodeski recently held a meeting for parents in his parish, warning about the addictive qualities for online pornography for teens, calling it a “fishhook,” saying “Even if they believe in their heads everything our Church has taught, their bodies believe what the porn culture is teaching them.”

The Rockford Diocese has released a statement regarding Brodeski, saying that he had been placed on leave and sent for evaluation and treatment for “any difficulties affecting his conduct and ministry,” after the incident last month. According to the diocese, Brodeski was arrested following his return from evaluation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A Chicago-area Catholic priest,who has campaigned in his parish against Internet pornography, has been arrested for publicly exposing himself at a gas station..
    Perhaps he was engaging in some "field work" connected with his internet research. Its all for the good of the parish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,498 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let he who has never inappropriately whipped his flute out cast the first stone :p

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Let he who has never inappropriately whipped his flute out cast the first stone :p

If its a kidney stone I could probably hear the screams from here...

Bellatori wrote: »
    If its a kidney stone I could probably hear the screams from here...

Like this poor unfortunate?

Doctors remove headphone wire jammed into Shenzhen man's penis

Luckily for Luo, the 45-centimeter-long cable was removed from his body after a 20 minute surgery on May 21. At this point, it had already managed to wrap itself around a urinary tract stone.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

He was just listening to his favourite artist, Urethra Franklin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

I guess it made a Vas Deferens to how he thought his day was going to turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Everyone makes mistakes, but this was a right cock up.

If this story is accurate, words fail me.

"Statistics show a quarter of all babies born outside marriage in the 1930’s in Ireland died before their first birthdays."

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Mass-grave-of-up-to-800-dead-babies-exposed-in-County-Galway-.html
    According to a report in the Irish Mail on Sunday, a mass grave has been located beside a former home for unmarried mothers and babies in County Galway. The grave is believed to contain the bodies of up to eight hundred babies, buried on the former grounds of the institution known locally as “The Home” in Tuam, north of Galway city, between 1925 and 1961. Run by the Bon Secours nuns, “The Home” housed thousands of unmarried mothers and their “illegitimate” children over those years.

According to Irish Mail on Sunday the causes of death listed for “as many as 796 children” included “malnutrition, measles, convulsions, tuberculosis, gastroenteritis and pneumonia.” The babies were usually buried without a coffin in a plot that had once housed “a water tank,” the report claims. No memorials were erected, the site was left unmarked and unmourned. The staggering mortality rate of “The Home” was apparently replicated elsewhere in Ireland.

The Sean Ross Mother and Baby Home, portrayed in the award winning film “Philomena” this year, opened in Roscrea, County Tipperary in 1930. In its first year of operation 60 babies died out of a total of 120, a fifty percent infant mortality rate, more than four times higher than in the general population at the time. Statistics show a quarter of all babies born outside marriage in the 1930’s in Ireland died before their first birthdays. As observers have remarked elsewhere, these were infant death rates from the 17th century. In one year alone in the mid 1940’s in the Bessborough Mother and Baby Home in County Cork, out of the 180 babies born 100 died.

Given the shockingly high mortality rates, it is hard not to conclude that the destabilizing threat these children represented to Irish society and its conservative religious ethos may have contributed to their untimely demise. If 60 babies died in first year of the Sean Ross Abbey home alone, it’s a mathematical probability that hundreds more deaths could have occurred in the decades that followed (an estimated 50,000 babies were born in mother and baby homes throughout Ireland before they closed in the 1990’s). Sean Ross Abbey was just one of the many mother and baby homes operated in the state, but the “illegitimate” stigma was not confined to Catholics alone. Reports show that 219 infants died in the Protestant Bethany home in Rathgar, County Dublin between 1922 and 1949.

As “Philomena” shows, many of the children who survived in the mothers and babies homes were later forcibly adopted, most often to the USA. Between 1945 and 1965 more than 2,200 Irish infants were forcibly adopted, an average of 110 children every year, or more than two a week. Church officials have consistently denied that they ever received payments for these adoptions, insisting many of the papers and documents from that period were lost in a fire. Since there was simply no question of the birth mothers keeping their children – the shame was thought too ruinous – they lost all future claim to them. Their punishment was to work without wages for two or three years in atonement for their sins. In the homes they wore uniforms at all times, they had their names changed and they had their letters censored.

Critics contend that the ongoing reluctance of Irish religious orders to hand over their internal records or compensate past victims of mothers and babies homes, Magdalene laundries and reform schools, can be traced to their alarm over being compelled to offer mandatory payments or fear that further horrors could come to light. But calls for investigation of the various sites are growing. In the end, critics say, it should fall to the state itself to open the unmarked graves and count the dead.

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If this story is accurate, words fail me.

"Statistics show a quarter of all babies born outside marriage in the 1930’s in Ireland died before their first birthdays."

http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Mass-grave-of-up-to-800-dead-babies-exposed-in-County-Galway-.html

How far down this f*cked up rabbit-hole must we fall before we start treating these groups as criminal organisations? How many more of these mass graves are going to find?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

SW wrote: »
    How far down this f*cked up rabbit-hole must we fall before we start treating these groups as criminal organisations? How many more of these mass graves are going to find?
    Blah, Blah, Blah, a couple of bad eggs... couldn't happen now ... safeguards ae in place ... sure we haven't raped a child or given away a baby (that you are aware of) in ages ... look at all the good they do ... sure look at the new pope ...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's only one thing for it - spam the Church, the Ionanists, anyone who's funded anything based in "Life House" or 23 Merrion Square with this article.

• Advertisement
Advertisement