Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E90 (2010) Brakes stuck / minor squeak when starting off

Options
  • 13-03-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 3 Series Efficient Dynamics with 70k km on the clock. When I pull off after the car has been parked for some time, usually on a hill or even on a minor gradient, the rear left brake squeaks even when I'm not applying the brakes. It only happens for 10 seconds or less, but still...

Sometimes it actually feels like the back left brake is stuck and the car wont move without a fair amount of throttle.

However if I reverse first a few by a few inches there's neither symptom.

After that everything is perfect.

I did a bit of googling a month or so back and found a post on BimmerForums or the like. It even mentioned the PUMA code which I could bring to BMW. Unfortunately I can't find it now!

I'm bringing the car in for a service next week and would like to be able to accurately describe the problem. Anyone able to help with out with this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not unheard of that brakes will stick when parked a long period.
    Do you use handbrake or 1st gear to keep car stationary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

biko wrote: »
    It's not unheard of that brakes will stick when parked a long period.
    Do you use handbrake or 1st gear to keep car stationary?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. By long period a lot of the time it's just overnight.

I leave it parked in neutral with handbrake on. The usual parking spot is on a very very minor gradient though, so I doubt there's much pressure on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try parking it in 1st gear and no handbrake, see if there is a change.
    During service ask the mech to have a look at the brake, maybe caliper need a bit of lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks, I'll do that!

Advertisement