Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI rumours etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Galway FC 1-0 Athlone Town FT

Match report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

overshoot wrote: »
    Harps & Cork played out a 3-3 draw in galway today. Cork coming back from 3-1 down. we also lost 2 of our defenders after a bad clash of heads early on, cowan needed stitches, mcnulty was concussed
    Harps team;
    Winn (trial ex dunalk, shams, galway)
    McNulty,P Mailey, Cowan, Coll,
    McCann,Funston,Tiofack (trial, ex limerick), Ruari Keating (on trial sligo lad)
    McCarron, McHugh

Also meant to be on trial is a young Canadian called Graham Fisher (ex Schalke) and Longford lad Daryl Carrigy (ex derby)... although longford are in for him now too

Hearing he signed for Harps this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hearing he signed for Harps this afternoon
    well he came on at the end so i assume so ;)
    aye think they were just trying to sort stuff out the last few weeks, my first look at him tho and not really enough to make a comment on. gives us 2 north americans on the field now

sligo lads be happy to hear ruari keating had a great run out too on the right side of a 4-3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Damien Duff saying again today he wants to play football in Ireland.

Any clubs of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Any clubs of interest?

I'd imagine it would be Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Any clubs of interest?
    Most likely Dundalk. Would be a special moment for him to play alongside his bastard lovechild.

450821.jpg

Duff.jpg

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'd imagine it would be Rovers.

I'm sure the West will open him with open arms.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm sure the West will open him with open arms.

Always knew you westerners were the violent kind :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Would have said Bray when Devlin was there as Duff supposedly has some link to him. Otherwise who knows. Presumably whoever are champions at the time. Presumably money wouldn't be a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Thought he'd said before he'd like to play in the league but not for Shamrock Rovers?

Led me to believe he had a soft spot for Bohs. Though I do remember Bray being mentioned.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

From extratime
    The only club he jokingly ruled out was Dublin's Shamrock Rovers. He explained, "Probably won't be Shamrock Rovers. I played there for Newcastle United and I was slaughtered for 90 minutes. They probably wouldn't have me anyway."

His roots in the south of Dublin may lead him to renew acquaintances with north Wicklow club Bray Wanderers as he has a strong friendship with the club's director of football, Pat Devlin.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

anncoates wrote: »
    Would have said Bray when Devlin was there as Duff supposedly has some link to him. Otherwise who knows. Presumably whoever are champions at the time. Presumably money wouldn't be a factor.

Devlin was his agent/advisor before being banned by FIFA.

Corholio wrote: »
    Always knew you westerners were the violent kind :pac:

Welcome him.

To late for an edit I suppose.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Devlin was his agent/advisor before being banned by FIFA.

Was he really banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Extratime saying Bohs and Shels to merge next season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

St Shelhemian Rovers, your all in one Dublin football team.

St Shelhemian Rovers, your all in one Dublin football team.

:( what about UCD

Also, can we get the corpses of Dublin City and Torpedo Fingal involved in some way?

Sporting St Shelhemian Rovers College Dublin

or SStSRCD

Rolls off the tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Swallow a brick sideways some people would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Them extratime bastards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

or SStSRCD

Rolls off the tongue.

or abbreviated in chants to...'Rovers'

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

or SStSRCD

Rolls off the tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

or SStSRCD

Rolls off the tongue.

Let's just call the new club 'Schdutens' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Let's just call the new club 'Schdutens' :pac:

Red Bull Dublin is the rumour I heard. :D

kksaints wrote: »
    Red Bull Dublin is the rumour I heard. :D

That's our B squad actually, who will play their home games in Inchicore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

I certainly hope that is not true. Would be a real shame to see 2 clubs with genuine history and past success in the league ending up in a merger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eire4 wrote: »
    I certainly hope that is not true. Would be a real shame to see 2 clubs with genuine history and past success in the league ending up in a merger.

Look at the date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

eire4 wrote: »

It was an April Fools man, the only type of "merge" both clubs will be doing will be a groundshare, Tolka/Ballymun or possibly Dalyer.

:D haha, nice one.

• Advertisement

It was an April Fools man, the only type of "merge" both clubs will be doing will be a groundshare, Tolka/Ballymun or possibly Dalyer.

So that groundshare is more than a rumour now? :eek:

Lars1916 wrote: »
    So that groundshare is more than a rumour now? :eek:

It's always going to happen. It was mentioned at the Fans' Forum pre-season. Dublin City Council are looking at a site next to Ikea for the two teams. They also seem interested in possibly upgrading Tolka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's a great idea, just not in Dalymount.

It's always going to happen. It was mentioned at the Fans' Forum pre-season. Dublin City Council are looking at a site next to Ikea for the two teams. They also seem interested in possibly upgrading Tolka.

Didn't attend the forum, but I remember hearing the story about the Ballymun site alright.

Personally, I would prefer Tolka as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

There's very limited space at Tolka for expansion or the building of new stands but sort out the foundations, toilets, roof on the main stand, floodlights, gantry, broken seats, roof on the away stand and we'd have a nice little ground again.

Even if it is a joke, it would be excellent if DCC could provide a municipal ground in their catchment area. You'd surely get a modern 8-1000 seater into Tolka. Give it about 5 years though to get the inevitable turf war with the GAA out of the way - especially given that neck of the woods. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Even if it is a joke, it would be excellent if DCC could provide a municipal ground in their catchment area. You'd surely get a modern 8-1000 seater into Tolka. Give it about 5 years though to get the inevitable turf war with the GAA out of the way - especially given that neck of the woods. :pac:

It would be great to see those clubs with decent facilities and a solid financial footing alright. Does the model work for local authorities though? Would be fascinated to see whether South Dublin County Council is making any money out of Tallaght Stadium. Even if they're making a small loss, I'd argue that it's a fair cultural investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Bohs and Shels have absolutely no need for a 8-10000 capacity stadium. 4-6000 is more than enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

frimpong wrote: »
    Bohs and Shels have absolutely no need for a 8-10000 capacity stadium. 4-6000 is more than enough for them.

4-6000 but with room to expand would be ideal.

• Advertisement

geeky wrote: »
    It would be great to see those clubs with decent facilities and a solid financial footing alright. Does the model work for local authorities though? Would be fascinated to see whether South Dublin County Council is making any money out of Tallaght Stadium. Even if they're making a small loss, I'd argue that it's a fair cultural investment.

I'd imagine it's a tidy earner for them, decent flat rate fee from Rovers, plus all the junior rugby matches they've hosted recently, the American football, the Real Madrid match they got a nice sum for too iirc.

And Rovers need a 6,000 seater why? Generally it's better to have something to supply future demand (European matches, possible Cup finals, etc...) rather than stick to the bear minimum. But sure that's logic...........

It won't be used just for those games so might as well make it as big as possible if the cost isn't prohibitive.

AFAIK the Tolka site is no good for UEFA regulations either, because there is only access on one side of the ground (river on the other).

There are also problems with the river itself, that area is prone to flooding, so building or rebuilding foundations over that side would be hugely precarious.

Personally, unless the ground is torn down and totally rebuilt, I think a move out to Ballymun is the best bet for both clubs.

Who even owns TP at this stage? Nama? A developer? DCC? Certainly not Shels.

It won't be used just for those games so might as well make it as big as possible if the cost isn't prohibitive.

Mostly it would, the FAI had planned to use Home Farm for Under-Age matches but they opted for Tallaght after the redevelopment of Home Farm (for Shels) was rejected by Home Farm members.
    AFAIK the Tolka site is no good for UEFA regulations either, because there is only access on one side of the ground (river on the other).

There are also problems with the river itself, that area is prone to flooding, so building or rebuilding foundations over that side would be hugely precarious.

Personally, unless the ground is torn down and totally rebuilt, I think a move out to Ballymun is the best bet for both clubs.

Who even owns TP at this stage? Nama? A developer? DCC? Certainly not Shels.

A combo of all three afaik. Ossie Kilkenny, with DCC holding some interest and NAMA (think they just held the house/old office)..... with the Donnellys previously holding the lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

And Rovers need a 6,000 seater why? Generally it's better to have something to supply future demand (European matches, possible Cup finals, etc...) rather than stick to the bear minimum. But sure that's logic...........

There's a problem with making it too big, though. Some grounds in this country are too big for the teams involved. Eg, the Cross holds just under 7,500 (reduced to 6,900 recently due to broken seats, but could easily be brought back up). For most of the matches we play, the capacity is way in excess for our needs. We've only gotten one full house of 7,000+ in the past eight years (and the money all went to the MFA, anyway). We've generally been averaging about 2,000-3,000, and in the First Division, some of the crowds were barely breaking a thousand. It looks terrible to have 6/7ths of the stadium as empty seats. If it were a bit smaller - 5,000, for example - we'd be better off, I think. Yes, we would have been capped for the Rovers and Pats crowds recently, but overall, we'd benefit. The place would look fuller - even an average crowd of 3,000 would fill most of the stadium. This would look better, the atmosphere would be better for matches and it would be more attractive to new fans. It would make us look better if we could say more often that we're getting (near) full-houses.

I'd agree with Dan, with a modest-sized stadium with scope to increase it if the demand was there. Imo, something like a 2,000 stand along one touchline and two 1,000 capacity stands behind either goal would be good; maybe even a bit smaller. Then have the other side open for development of another 2,000ish stand, if it were consistently being filled. A temporary stand could be installed, too, to cater for once-off matches like Europe, "glamour friendlies" etc. The more boisterous fans of Bohs/Shels could also take either goal-end, and keep it as the away section when they're "away" to each other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I'd agree with Dan, with a modest-sized stadium with scope to increase it if the demand was there. Imo, something like a 2,000 stand along one touchline and two 1,000 capacity stands behind either goal would be good; maybe even a bit smaller. Then have the other side open for development of another 2,000ish stand, if it were consistently being filled. A temporary stand could be installed, too, to cater for once-off matches like Europe, "glamour friendlies" etc. The more boisterous fans of Bohs/Shels could also take either goal-end, and keep it as the away section when they're "away" to each other.

While I agree with the general gist of your post, a 4000 capacity stadium is way too small. Bohs had a bigger crowd than that in Dalymount 2 weeks ago. The last thing any club needs to be doing is turning away fans because they lack capacity.

6000 seats or so would probably be a good number to aim at. Tallaght is a pretty good size, even if Rovers only fill it on the odd occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

UEFA Category 3 is the absolute minimum standard that any new stadia should meet, but I would agree that building anything less than about 5 - 6,000 seats seams a bit pointless. Yes, it's going to be relatively empty for most league games, but as said above, we really don't want a situation where any kind of big attendance means people get turned away.

The only solution would be for clubs to access to more than one ground to meet different attendance requirements, but that's not terribly realistic. Well, not outside Dublin anyway. Of course if the FAI and the GAA could start co-operating in a meaningful way, that would help matters no end and we could have proper multi-purpose municipal stadia throughout the country of various sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    There's a problem with making it too big, though. Some grounds in this country are too big for the teams involved. Eg, the Cross holds just under 7,500 (reduced to 6,900 recently due to broken seats, but could easily be brought back up). For most of the matches we play, the capacity is way in excess for our needs. We've only gotten one full house of 7,000+ in the past eight years (and the money all went to the MFA, anyway). We've generally been averaging about 2,000-3,000, and in the First Division, some of the crowds were barely breaking a thousand. It looks terrible to have 6/7ths of the stadium as empty seats. If it were a bit smaller - 5,000, for example - we'd be better off, I think.

What are you talking about, we averaged something close to 1700 both years in the 1st Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

While I agree with the general gist of your post, a 4000 capacity stadium is way too small. Bohs had a bigger crowd than that in Dalymount 2 weeks ago. The last thing any club needs to be doing is turning away fans because they lack capacity.

6000 seats or so would probably be a good number to aim at. Tallaght is a pretty good size, even if Rovers only fill it on the odd occasion.

The recent derbies at Dalymount have mostly been under 3,000, with one just over and the one last week with estimates ranging from about 3,500 to a touch over 4,000. Even the one's in Tallaght have been about 4,500 in the last few years.

I get where your coming from, wanting to make hay while the sun shines, but we have to be mindful of our limitations across the league. A 6,000 capacity stadium would more than double the combined average attendances of its tenants. Bohs matches would be 75% empty based on what they're getting now and Shels even more empty. I think having a bigger % of a smaller stadium filled and selling it out more often has more benefits. We want as many fans in, but if it's sold out, that won't turn people away long term. It makes the club very appealing. People who missed out will more likely buy there ticket early next time and maybe come to a smaller match where they're better likely to secure a ticket. People who go more often will more likely buy a season ticket, to ensure they'll get into the big matches. Overall, I think it'll help to bring a larger, steadier average and when crowds of close to 4,000 are coming on a regular basis, that would be the time to expand.

I think it's better to work towards a large, steady average rather than living off the windfalls of rare bumper crowds. From City's first three matches, our average attendance is just over 4,500. But one of those attendances was 2,600, against Bray. While the 5,500ish at Pats and Rovers shows there's a big potential, the relatively small Bray crowd shows the other side of it. I'd have preferred if all three matches had been 4,500. A more level average, rather than crazy highs and lows, gives a more steady income stream and more predictability. Something, which a club can then build on and slowly increase crowds across the board, not just for big matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Haha got me on that one. I never noticed the date at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Honestly, I don't subscribe to the hugely optimistic 'if you build it, they will come' projections of Pat Dolan (I remember watching, mouth agape, as he called for a string of 25,000 seater stadiums), but it's worth noting that a decent, comfortable stadium with nearby parking and transport links can help to boost attendances too.

While a 6,000 seater would be bigger than either club needs right now, it allows for a bit of organic growth in the following. Also, if DCC or Fingal were considering the Tallaght model, it wouldn't just be built for the convenience of football clubs: you'd need it to be capable of serving a wide range of events.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement