Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on the Famine

Options
  • 24-01-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Atlas of the Great Irish Famine

http://uccshop.ie/recommended/atlas-of-the-great-irish-famine.html

Its at home in my parents house. Not really a book you would read cover to cover, more something you would delve into for a few hours on some aspect of the famine, of which it covers many.

Haven't look at it in a while, must do next time I'm home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Yes Atlas of the Great Famine is a tremendous work.

Cecil Woodham Smiths is I think the main one.

Kathleen Villiers-Stuart has, I think written a book on the famine in COnnemara.

I have, somewhere, a book on the work houses, which of course dealt with the famine.

Sadly my library is in disarray

Have spent my kids inheritance buying books all my life - they are all over the place- the books, not the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Here's a few useful books on the Great Famine:

Enda Delaney, The Curse of Reason: The Great Irish Famine (Gill & Macmillan, 2012)
    James S. Donnelly Jr, The Great Irish Potato Famine (The History Press, 2002)
    Peter Gray, Famine, Land and Politics (Irish Academic Press, 1999)
    Joel Mokyr, Why Ireland Starved (George Allen & Unwin, 1983)
    Cormac Ó Grada, Black '47 and Beyond (Princeton University Press, 1999)
    Cormac Ó Grada, Ireland's Great Famine: Interdisciplinary Essays (UCD Press, 2005)

(The first three books tend to focus on the political aspect of the Famine, the last three on the economic aspect.)

Here's a few useful books on the Great Famine:

Enda Delaney, The Curse of Reason: The Great Irish Famine (Gill & Macmillan, 2012)
    James S. Donnelly Jr, The Great Irish Potato Famine (The History Press, 2002)
    Peter Gray, Famine, Land and Politics (Irish Academic Press, 1999)
    Joel Mokyr, Why Ireland Starved (George Allen & Unwin, 1983)
    Cormac Ó Grada, Black '47 and Beyond (Princeton University Press, 1999)
    Cormac Ó Grada, Ireland's Great Famine: Interdisciplinary Essays (UCD Press, 2005)

(The first three books tend to focus on the political aspect of the Famine, the last three on the economic aspect.)

Agreed

Also suggest This Great Calamity by Christine Kinealy - Irish famine 1845-52- very detailed - down to an analysis of loss of potatoe crop, take up in soup kitchens. employment provided etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

Atlas of the Great Irish Famine by Crowley, et. al., is a great work. I spent hours with that book. I found that the maps give a great visual source to help understand the regional impact. Additionally (for me) the photographs of the ruins of work houses are haunting, and the essays are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maidofthemist

I enjoyed John Kelly's "The Graves are Walking" and wrote a short review on http://izzyreads.com/2012/12/the-graves-are-walking-the-great-famine-and-the-saga-of-the-irish-people-by-john-kelly/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Phoenix wrote: »
    forgive the bump on the subject by any chance are their any books you would recommend that outline the impact the famine had in West Cork?

Don't think there is a book that covers this whole area. You'd have to source town / parish histories and journals. Fr Patrick Hickey has been published in a few places, including the big Famine book that came out a couple of years ago, about the area around Schull. There's also James S. Donnelly's The Land and People of Nineteenth Century Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

A brilliant book I recently read about the Famine is called:

Irish Hunger: Personal Reflections On The Leagacy Of The Famine

It is Edited by Tom Hayden and is a series of essays by various different Irish authors from various different walks of life. It is very informative and very emotional and moving at the same time.

Two Famine threads here now.

Normally rather quiet here.

Is this a feast after the famine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Advertisement