Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residence Listed in Registers for Marriages - Which?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

A rather basic question, which I have never seen addressed. Most parish registers only give a single address for marriage entries.
    In some registers, it seems to be the location where the marriage was celebrated (parent's house, or priest's house)
    However, in most registers I it seems to be a residence address, which I take to be the brides'a address.
    I am interested to know if others agree or disagree with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

In general, I've found that it was the bride's address that was recorded.
    However, when both bride & groom were from same parish, it was often the groom's residence that was noted. In some early parish records, there had 2 addresses, one where the groom lived and the other I believe was the address of the witnesses. ie John Brown, farmer of Knock.... & Anne Smith were married in the presence of John Ryan & Patk Ryan, Ballina.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Maybe I'm unlucky with my lot, but very few of the pre-1864 parish records for them include any sort of address. I would think based on other family searches that any address usually relates to the residence for bride or groom.. suppose the context, layout and the actual place name etc might help in some cases to try work out which

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

shanew wrote: »
    Maybe I'm unlucky with my lot, but very few of the pre-1864 parish records for them include any sort of address. I would think based on other family searches that any address usually relates to the residence for bride or groom.. suppose the context, layout and the actual place name etc might help in some cases to try work out which

Yes - my experience with the registers so far is that they rarely if ever give any address for marriages/baptisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wexflyer

KildareFan wrote: »
    Yes - my experience with the registers so far is that they rarely if ever give any address for marriages/baptisms.

I would estimate that most, though far from all, registers in Ferns had addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 John P. Mac

In the parishes in Kerry that I am familiar with, it was the address of the bride that was recorded up to 1864. From then on, the addresses of both bride and groom were recorded. This was true even when both parties were from the same parish. In the transcribed data online the pre-1864 address is wrongly attributed to the groom.

In many instances in the online data, the name William was wrongly translated and transcribed as Gerald / Gerard.

The few errors do not detract from these invaluable resources and the National Library have done a great service in recently making available the images of the original records.

• Advertisement
Advertisement