Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job and social welfare

Options
  • 14-04-2015 12:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

So I'm employed part time and receiving social welfare for the days I'm not working, does anybody know how I can leave my job and still get social welfare??

I've been told that you can't just leave, u have to be let go etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

why do you want to leave?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 nashipear

Basically being bullied by my boss, I cry every I leave, I'm not one to be on social welfare, I've worked since I was 13, just she took on an intern and cut my hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Could you not look for another job while you are in this one. It tends to make it that little bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go and see your doctor. If you're signed off on stress leave, you can assess illness benefit (or whatever it's called).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 nashipear

I am looking for another job..but there's literally no jobs where I live, and had to take my car off the road cause my hours were reduced so I'm kind of limited..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

can you prove that an intern was taken on and your hours reduced? If you furnished that to welfare plus get something from the doctor regarding stress from bullying might help your cause.

Maybe better to stick it out for a while, don`t take your boss's bull**** personally. and try get another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Time to stand up
    Stop being weak! Say this to yourself in the mirror over
    You have 3 options
    1- tell the emploer where to go then goto social welfare furnish them sick stress Dr cert etc maybe end up on short term illness benefit you will be put back on jobseekers after.
    2- pursue the employer legally if your up to it.. if its realistic. This would be mist satisfying but toughest let's not kid ourselves.
    3- apply for new jobs and keep positive knowing that your doing your utmost to try..when u get new job tell current employer to stick it. If there's still no luck go back to step 1

All the Best.. Remember Jobs don't define us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Normally if you quit your job you have to wait 9 weeks to get social welfare

But in your case, if you go to doctor and get sick cert to say you can't work there anymore because of the bullying/stress, you'll be entitled to 100e a week, then go to social welfare and explain to them that you want to leave because of the bullying(and you have a sick cert to show doctor agrees) but cant afford to live on the sickness benefit. They should wave the 9 weeks and you'll get your benefits within about 2 weeks.

All along keep up the job hunt of course, you might get lucky

Advertisement