Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty

Options
  • 14-04-2015 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I haven't been called for jury duty myself and I'm self-employed but I'm posting on behalf of a friend (with their permission).

They've been called for jury duty and work in a very generic job which definitively doesn't fall under any of the reasons for being excused. They're one of many people doing the same role.

They brought the notice into their manager who has threatened them with being fired if they don't come up with a way out of jury duty and told them that this is a verbal warning and if they don't come to work they'll get a written warning and be fired and that there's absolutely no way the company will pay them while on jury service!

I assume this is illegal?

They're wondering if the jury service office could do about this? Or what the next step should be?

It puts them in a pretty awkward position to put it mildly.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you are in employment, the Juries Act 1976 (Section 29) places a duty on your employer to allow you attend for jury service. It is further specified in the law that time spent on jury service is to be treated as if the employee were actually employed. In other words, if you are in employment and are attending for jury service, you are entitled to be paid while you are away from work. Anyone with a contract of employment (i.e., temporary workers, contract workers, etc.) is entitled to be paid by their employer while they are on jury service. There should also be no loss of any other employment rights while you serve on a jury. The Jury office will provide a certificate of attendance on request.

If you feel your employment rights have been infringed or you have lost employment rights while serving on a jury, you can make a complaint to Rights Commissioner.

Taken from: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've suggested that go straight to the company's directors as there appears to be nobody covering HR and I have a feeling this could unleash a major problem for the company should the employee take a complaint.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I assume this is illegal?

It is actually an offence under S35(2) of the Juries Act 1976.

Advertisement