Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waters Breaking

Options
  • 18-11-2008 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Ladies just a quick question from a first timer!

What does it feel like when your waters break?? I have noticed a (probably tmi) wet patch this evening that I'm 100% sure wasn't from urine and as I'm sitting here I can kinda feel it trickling... not sure if this is my waters breaking or something else.

I'm not feeling any pain, so not getting contractions, should you be getting these around the same time as your waters breaking??

Sorry for the silly questions!
    Adrieanne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I havent been preg. yet, but if ur unsure and I was in ur situation right now, I would be ringing the caredoc to run it by him/her just in case!

Better be safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

With both my labours my waters went and this was at least 12 - 15 hours before I started getting contracations.

First time round I was in the middle of Mothercare and was just leaning forward to pick up something off a shelf and I felt a "pop" and then felt like I was leaking, a bit like a slowish wee if you get the picture. :eek:

My hubby had popped up the road to a cash point and when he came back he saw me standing with my legs crossed and a very worried expression on my face. I was afraid to move in case I flooded the place so sent him to get a staff member. There was a big queue and him being nervous just went straight to the top of the queue and told the staff my waters had gone.

2 members of staff came over to me and brought me into the toilets, got me pads which they charged me for and couldn't get me out the door half quick enough.

I went straight to the hospital to collect a TENS unit and had planned on going home to have a shower, wash my hair, collect my bag and medical notes but they kept me in and sent hubby to get my stuff and tell both families that it was kick off ;)

I kept waiting for the contractions to start but it was at least 12 hours later before I started to feel anything. My leaking lasted for hours

2nd time round I was lying in bed and was just raising myself up when I felt a pop so clenched everything as much as possible and went to the bathroom and then knew it was time to phone hubby. This time it was about 15 hours before I started getting contractions. 2nd time round my leaking came in huge gushes and this went on for nearly an hour and then trickles. Had a friend mopping the floor ;)

When I "popped" it didn't hurt.

The good thing about your waters going and not going into contractions straight away is that it gives you time to get a TENS on early and it more effective.

Sounds like you may be leaking so you're better off phoning the labour ward and asking for advice. They'll more than likely tell you to go in so they can check if the waters have gone. Also once waters go they usually prefer you in to minimise the risk of infection.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You probably know the answer by now (keep us posted:D) but i'll give my expreience anyway as others might benefit from it.

My waters broke with both my babies but the it was completely different both times.

First time it was a slow trickle and took me a while to figure out that it wasn't just wee. If the trickle keeps coming and you have no control over it then you should get it checked out. You might also be able to tell by...emm... looking at it:o. They have little cotton bud type thingies that they can use to test if it amniotic fluid.... ie they turn a certain colour if it is. So you're best to get checked. I didn't get any contractions for maybe 36 hours.... but I was 6 weeks early so they didn't induce.

Second time there was that pop and a major gush and man was I glad I was at home when it happened! I didnt get any contractions for over an hour but then they came hard and fast. By the time I got to the hospital the nurse asked was I sure my waters had gone (Oh ya!) ... then she reckoned it was all actually gone which is why she couldn't feel anything.

Good luck Adrienne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

yikes I forgot about the whole water breaking side of things :eek:

Sorry for interrupting your thread OP, but I'm just wondering, is it always just a trickle for a first timer??? Please say yes, otherwise I plan on never leaving the house in six months time :D

yikes I forgot about the whole water breaking side of things :eek:

Sorry for interrupting your thread OP, but I'm just wondering, is it always just a trickle for a first timer??? Please say yes, otherwise I plan on never leaving the house in six months time :D

lol it's funny but even after my first I didn't believe the whole gushing phenomenon that just seems to happen on the telly. I doubt if there's any difference if it's your first or not. But put it this way I've never met anyone who had the gushing experience in a public place so I'd say it's rare enough.
    The other thing is that there is a definite "pop" sensation and once you pop you've got ohhh about 20 seconds to get to the nearest loo.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mine didn't break, they had to be broken by the midwife.
    But I did have the show of the tacky discharge of the pluge from the cervix breaking down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Well, I'm still here...
    Leaking stopped last night just before I went to bed so decided not to call the hospital, they'll think I'm a worry wart, have been to emergency room four times in this pregnancy and each time have nearly been laughed outta the place...

Getting the sensation that I'm leaking today but there's nothing there so don't think I have anything to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Well, I'm still here...
    Leaking stopped last night just before I went to bed so decided not to call the hospital, they'll think I'm a worry wart, have been to emergency room four times in this pregnancy and each time have nearly been laughed outta the place...

Getting the sensation that I'm leaking today but there's nothing there so don't think I have anything to worry about...

If I were you, I'd ring them anyway.. Just to see what they say. They might tell you not to call in, but then again, they might not. I'm sure they're not really laughing at you ;) It is possible to break your waters, then baby's head can 'plug' the hole and stop the flow, and if it was your waters, the risk of infection would be increased. You can't be too careful! We all go to the doctor over the smallest of things in pregnancy, mine is sick of the sight of me at this stage, don't feel bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring them anyway and if needs be go in for a check up better safe then sorry :)

I agree Adrienne. Given the fact that there is increased risk of infection if your waters have broken you really can't be too careful. They most certainly will not laugh at you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

god I had one of those 'movie water breaking moments'- no show or anything, I just stood up and.........GUSH. :o
    As the others said just phone your midwife to be sure , I cant imagine them standing around laughing at all the 'did my waters break' stories. There just HAS to be funnier stories than that.
    Best of luck Adrienne

i'm just giggling at the irony of Quackles signature given the subject of this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

On my 2 boys it was a slow trickle. On the 2nd I wasn't even sure if it had gone. The admitting doc said no after doing the cotton bud test (those inteh know will know)but the midwife said definitely yes.
    Trust me don't worry about what the nurses will think - your peace of mind is more important. I went into the hospital after being bitten by a cat while pg - you should have seen their faces:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

littlebug wrote: »
    i'm just giggling at the irony of Quackles signature given the subject of this thread :D

Yup, I follow heavily pregnant women around in the hope that something will happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey Adrienne,
    I would ring the doc or clinic if i were you. There is a risk of infection if your waters break... And you are better being safe than sorry...

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

On first one waters were broken in the hospital and on the other 2 there was a pop and a big gush.I didnt realise i had that much water.op can you see what colour your water is put a pad on.If its green get to the hospital straight away.I would urge you t go to the hospital if nothing other than peace of mind.Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement