Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me create a free thinking family motto

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Dades wrote: »
    "Forget religion, have faith in yourself."

Best one so far. If space is an issue (on the back of the watch for engraving not that "space" is an issue :rolleyes:) I'd certainly be happy to go with your suggestion.

Thanks Dades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

You could just put "Have faith in yourself" either, removes the mention of religion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Another couple of personal favourites:

"Morituri Nolumus Mori"

And

"O! Stercus, stercus, stercus! Moriturus sum!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Too long, but I love it:

Disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

May not fit on a watch, but makes a great tattoo.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Et ses mains ourdiraient les entrailles du prêtre,
    Au défaut d’un cordon pour étrangler les rois.

Denis Diderot, or was it Arya Stark? One of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭JoannieG

Nil illegitimi carborundum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Fleawuss wrote: »
    This time is your time. Live it.

I like this one.

I would not mention religion at all on the engraving, remember you are raising your son to think for himself not just inherit your personal opinions ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

smacl wrote: »
    Et ses mains ourdiraient les entrailles du prêtre,
    Au défaut d’un cordon pour étrangler les rois.
    Denis Diderot, or was it Arya Stark? One of them.
    Thought that was Diderot, though I'm sure the sentiment has been around since the first charlatan met the first fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

"Never seen nor heard"

• Advertisement

I like this one.

I would not mention religion at all on the engraving, remember you are raising your son to think for himself not just inherit your personal opinions ;)

I think every good parent will be a strong influence on their children, opinions and all. Once you explain your reasoning behind your opinions, and leave that reasoning open to scrutiny, absolutely nothing wrong with making your opinions known to your kids. They may share them, they may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Comb the back of your hair, not just the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

"It's later than you think"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

smacl wrote: »
    I think every good parent will be a strong influence on their children, opinions and all. Once you explain your reasoning behind your opinions, and leave that reasoning open to scrutiny, absolutely nothing wrong with making your opinions known to your kids. They may share them, they may not.

I agree that parents are a strong influence, however many posters here I'm sure have been brought up in a religious household, these same posters do not raise their own children in the same way, so generations can change and should have the freedom to change if they wish.

Never said we should not make our opinions known to our children and most of us do what we can to mould our children to our principles however the point I was making is that this is a heirloom, the purpose of which usually is to pass the watch through the generations therefore I thought that some of the suggestions that are along the lines of 'religion bad, atheism good' are not appropriate.

BTW I'm not religious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Question everything!

vidi vici veni

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

ELE everybody love everybody

bluewolf wrote: »
    vidi vici veni

:pac:

Veni, Vermini, Vomui.

Visi, Veneri, Vamoosi.

There are just so many great Pratchett devised mottos out there.

Good point. If I want the motto to be about free thinking and trusting your own judgement I shouldn't direct/encourage an anti (or pro) stance on anything really.

I set up my original suggestion as my signature here to see how I'd like it when I see it all the time and I have to say I'm quite happy with it. It's succinct, non prejudicial and positive.

I think I'm going to stick with it providing I can get it squeezed onto the space I have to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Adamocovic wrote: »
    ELE everybody love everybody

Also Extinction Level Event. :p

I think I found the engraver I'm going to use - man this is nice work - http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?304964-New-Incoming-Rolex-Caseback-Engraving and this is the lady that did it - http://www.artemiswilddesign.co.uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

See can you get her to squeeze in "Other Side Out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    Thought that was Diderot, though I'm sure the sentiment has been around since the first charlatan met the first fool.

I thought it was Diderot too. Considering it for a new tattoo.

MrP

Booms wrote: »
    "Other Side Out"
    ???

robindch wrote: »

The quote was Diderot, though originally derived from Jean Meslier from what I can gather who "...wished that all the great men in the world and all the nobility could be hanged, and strangled with the guts of the priests." A tad extreme, though I can appreciate the sentiment by times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

How about that other Enlightenment slogan, Kant's "Sapere Aude"?

Seems to be closer than Carpe Diem to what you were saying about having the courage to think for oneself (?).

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

peckerhead wrote: »
    How about that other Enlightenment slogan, Kant's "Saper Aude"?

Seems to be closer than Carpe Diem to what you were saying about having the courage to think for oneself (?).

Actually it's Horace. Kant only borrowed it.

And it's fairly close to carpe diem in sense, at least as Horace uses it. It occurs in a passage where Horace is, basically, saying that you can think about things as much as you like, but it's only when you try to do them that you find out if they can be done. (The specific example he gives is crossing a river.) So he's saying "dare to know!", using "know" in the sense of "know from experience" rather than "deduce by reason". And it requires daring because, to truly know whether your aim can be accomplished, you have to take the risk of failure. So it's a call to action.

peckerhead wrote: »
    Maybe to some people but not me I'm afraid ;)

Decision made,

I'm going to get the following engraved onto the watch and hope it encourages whoever the wearer is to do exactly as it says ;)

This is just a mock up, the engraving font and style etc will be very different.

iyd5ec.jpg

Thanks for all your help everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So it's too late to suggest "Superbus Humilem Esse"?

Actually I just now remembered probably the most appropriate motto, and it has nothing to do with the Discworld*:

"Cave et Aude"

"Be careful and dare". The Darwin family motto.

*I tell a lie, I learnt this from the third Science of Discworld book, Darwin's Watch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Boxy Vinny

What about "FREEDOM CREDENCE CAREDOM KINGDOM"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Boxy Vinny wrote: »
    What about "FREEDOM CREDENCE CAREDOM KINGDOM"

Sounds like a dodgy brand of Chinese condoms, tbh.

pauldla wrote: »
    Sounds like a dodgy brand of Chinese condoms, tbh.

First belly laugh of the day. Thanks for that!

Advertisement