Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me create a free thinking family motto

Options
  • 19-05-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an Athiest but from a traditional Roman Catholic family i.e. parents, siblings etc.

My wife is pretty agnostic (goes to mass at Xmas etc) and my son is in an RC school and has been baptised and confirmed etc but we don't go to mass or pray etc and we discuss whether there is a God or not quite openly. I know it's a bit hypocritical but we're using the RC infrastructure as its the only practical education option available to us. I spent 5 years in a RC boarding school and saw their best work first hand so I'm not losing any sleep over using their school as a trojan horse to secure an education for my son, at least now there are no nuns/priests teaching him :D

Anyway, I have a nice watch I want to bequeath to my son when he turns 30 (17 years from now) which I hope he'll pass to his eldest and so on and I would like to engrave something on the base of the watch which will act as a positive reinforcement type family motto which promotes free thinking and trusting your own judgement. It's a relatively small space so I need something which will be no more than 6 words max.

I'm thinking of something like

"Think Freely
    Trust Yourself
    Carpe Diem!"

Any suggestions/thoughts/comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Don't Give Into
    Religion Like We Did.

Don't Baptise
    It Might Change
    The System.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

lazygal wrote: »
    Don't Give Into
    Religion Like We Did.

Don't Baptise
    It Might Change
    The System.

Love it, pity it's too big though!! ;)

FYI I didn't give any thought to my own position in relation to religion until a few years ago. I knew I wasn't a card carrying RC but I also hadn't spent any time thinking about or researching the subject until I read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and started watching debates by Hitchens, Sam Harris and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I am now clear in my own mind and an affirmed Athiest (not yet an Anti Theist though) and as my son matures I'm discussing these issues with him but my wife is agnostic so I want the motto to be open minded rather than prescriptive or anti anything so that it is as relevant in 100 years time as it is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Hi all,

I'm an Athiest but from a traditional Roman Catholic family i.e. parents, siblings etc.

My wife is pretty agnostic (goes to mass at Xmas etc) and my son is in an RC school and has been baptised and confirmed etc but we don't go to mass or pray etc and we discuss whether there is a God or not quite openly. I know it's a bit hypocritical but we're using the RC infrastructure as its the only practical education option available to us. I spent 5 years in a RC boarding school and saw their best work first hand so I'm not losing any sleep over using their school as a trojan horse to secure an education for my son, at least now there are no nuns/priests teaching him :D

Anyway, I have a nice watch I want to bequeath to my son when he turns 30 (17 years from now) which I hope he'll pass to his eldest and so on and I would like to engrave something on the base of the watch which will act as a positive reinforcement type family motto which promotes free thinking and trusting your own judgement. It's a relatively small space so I need something which will be no more than 6 words max.

I'm thinking of something like

"Think Freely
    Trust Yourself
    Carpe Diem!"

I'm quite partial to the old Pratchettian stand by "Primitive and Outmoded Concept on a Crutch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Winter is coming

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Wear Sunscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    Wear Sunscreen

Best one yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

"Be brave in the search for truth"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyway, I have a nice watch I want to bequeath to my son when he turns 30 (17 years from now) which I hope he'll pass to his eldest and so on and I would like to engrave something on the base of the watch

Son, this watch was your birthright.
    I'd be damned if any slope's gonna put their greasy, yellow hands on this boy's birthright
    So I hid it in one place he knew he could hide something -
    My ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Carpe Jugulum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Take your magic elsewhere holyman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Think and be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Just because it's engraved on the back of a watch doesn't mean it's good advice".

(OK, you'll need a very small font.)

Peregrinus wrote: »
    "Just because it's engraved on the back of a watch doesn't mean it's good advice".

(OK, you'll need a very small font.)

Oooooohhhh, what's that in latin?

Oooooohhhh, what's that in latin?
    Quod scriptum in horologio est, consilium bonum esse non debet.

But don't take my word for it. It's been a while since Inter Cert. Latin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Cunas, bothar, cailin, bainne.
    You'll need a few fadas.

robindch wrote: »
    = "You'd have done better to keep your gob shut."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

E pluribus anus.

Quod scriptum in horologio est, consilium bonum esse non debet.

But don't take my word for it. It's been a while since Inter Cert. Latin.

Now doesn't that just look impressive.

But Google translates it to
    Reason why the writing on the dial of the counsel of the good is not to be

I'm horrific at languages, so I don't know if thats the way Latin translates into English.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote:
    = "You'd have done better to keep your gob shut."
    To be used as follows:

Passerby: What's your family motto?
    Upright citizen: Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.
    Passerby: What does that mean?
    Upright citizen: You would have seemed a philosopher if you'd stayed quiet.

• Advertisement

Now doesn't that just look impressive.

But Google translates it to

I'm horrific at languages, so I don't know if thats the way Latin translates into English.
    I'm not great at Latin, but Google translate is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sum, ergo cogito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"Semper fidelis"
    (always faithful)

And this little speech to accompany the handover of the watch from father to son, throughout the generations;

"I give unto you, my son and heir, this outmoded timepiece as a symbol of our family values. Although we now tell the time with our fablets, we faithfully retain this useless item to symbolise our family's refusal to give up outdated concepts in general; our family religion, male supremacy and primogeniture, and this ancient but dead language. Amen et Exitus."

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Lost time is never found again
    Benjamin Franklin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

"Test everything and hold onto the good."

It's from Thessalonians though. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Carpe Jugulum.

Or, Fabricati Diem, Pvnc.

"Fabricati Diem, Pvncti Agvnt Celeriter" ("Make the Day, the Moments Pass Quickly")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Et infinitum ultra
    "To infinity and beyond"
    ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

recedite wrote: »
    "Semper fidelis"
    (always faithful)

And this little speech to accompany the handover of the watch from father to son, throughout the generations;

"I give unto you, my son and heir, this outmoded timepiece as a symbol of our family values. Although we now tell the time with our fablets, we faithfully retain this useless item to symbolise our family's refusal to give up outdated concepts in general; our family religion, male supremacy and primogeniture, and this ancient but dead language. Amen et Exitus."

Or maybe:

The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright, so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

Change relations to suit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

3 suggestions:

Attitude is Everything

Suaimhneas sa bhuidéal

Ni beidh aon badass sa teach seo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Semper ubi sub ubi.

Advertisement