Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Australia By Far The Most Racially Tolerant Country In The World??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I broke down laughing when i read the op had to take 5 mins to compose myself its a kin to saying fundamentalist Muslims are tolerant to other Religions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah - - isn't it only in recent years that Australia has recognised the Aborigines to be people, rather than animals?

Mid 1970's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I broke down laughing when i read the op had to take 5 mins to compose myself its a kin to saying fundamentalist Muslims are tolerant to other Religions[/Quote

Actual quotes from when I was there
    "watch out for the soft brown speed bumps"
    "lucky the blackfellas only like the dessert and not the good land by the coast"
    And my fave "it's only 50 years ago they paid me to shoot the bastards" referring to Asian .

All that in casual conversation,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Yeah - - isn't it only in recent years that Australia has recognised the Aborigines to be people, rather than animals?

Yeah, up until 1967 they were classified as flora and fauna. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

Yeah, up until 1967 they were classified as flora and fauna. :-/
    Eh? I heard that they were first considered citizens by the 1967 referendum, but never heard anything about being considered animals or plants :/
    Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

They still reserve the right to disenfranchise Aborigines from their vote if it happens not to suit the white populaton. This is from the Australian constitution, today not 40 years ago, it's quite shocking to think that this exists in a supposedly modern state:
    25. For the purposes of the last section, if by the law of any State all persons of any race are disqualified from voting at elections for the more numerous House of the Parliament of the State, then, in reckoning the number of the people of the State or of the Commonwealth, persons of the race resident in that State shall not be counted.

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/general/constitution/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

MJRS wrote: »
    Eh? I heard that they were first considered citizens by the 1967 referendum, but never heard anything about being considered animals or plants :/
    Any links?

Sure:

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2007/s1933845.htm
    http://www.wangkamaya.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=107&Itemid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Any links?

'67 referendum counted them in the census for the first time.They were citizens as a result of a previous referendum.

Wow :( 1967, Christ...

That said, the first link isn't much of a source, and the second one doesn't say they were considered flora and fauna until 1967, it says they were just considered that by the initial British settlers. Did you just google aborigine flora and fauna and pick those two out? Cos I can't find it mentioned anywhere reputable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

London is the most racially tolerant place I've been (lived there for 2 years). People just get on with it generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Have to agree I found Australia to be incredibly racist as well. I think the reason they have so many back-packers is it means they can fill the **** jobs with loads of white Europeand folk who then leave again. Otherwise they would have to accept even more asians(who after all are a lot nearer in geographical terms) and other undesireable nationalities to fill the same positions.

As for Irish people going to Australia, well it goes like this. A few Irish people go to Oz together, they inevitably know a few other Irish people who of course know a few other Irish people and it multiplies like this with huge groups of Irish people partying, living and working together. The only time they mix with anybody else is if they meet someone from another country at work. Basically Australia is just like Ireland or UK except with fantastic weather and jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

When I worked in Australia I had some women give out to me about some "Indian c*nt", the person she was referring to was from Fiji! She was Scottish herself.

Oh I dunno sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Australians are Australians regardless of their race or religion. My closest friends here have parents varying from Bosnian/Serb, Chinese, Polish, Spanish, English, Lebanese and Irish. Funnily enough they all look different, sometimes we rib each other about it.
    After having spent 10 years living in Ireland I can honestly say while Australia has its yobs it has NOTHING on Ireland in regards to vicious racism or scumbaggery in general.

You also might want to note that most of the atrocities that were done on the Aborigines were performed by white English and Irish settlers. Thank **** we took in enough migrants with morals to eventually almost wipe that way of thinking out though (I say almost, theres still a good way to go).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Oh and this thread reads like something on Stormfront.

Well done AH yet again.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Australians are Australians regardless of their race or religion. My closest friends here have parents varying from Bosnian/Serb, Chinese, Polish, Spanish, English, Lebanese and Irish. Funnily enough they all look different

News Flash!

'People look different'

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wow :( 1967, Christ...

That said, the first link isn't much of a source, and the second one doesn't say they were considered flora and fauna until 1967, it says they were just considered that by the initial British settlers. Did you just google aborigine flora and fauna and pick those two out? Cos I can't find it mentioned anywhere reputable...

Citizens in 1967
    Aboriginal Australians had to wait until as late as 1965 to be given the vote at both a federal and state level, and in 1967 a referendum was overwhelmingly passed supporting their inclusion in the census, ending years of discrimination in which they were classified under the Flora and Fauna Act.
    http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/nsw-bill-recognises-aboriginal-people-in-constitution.htm
    LINDA BURNEY remembers her childhood well - those days when she was counted among the nation's wildlife.
    "This is not ancient history," says the state's first Aboriginal minister. "I was a child. It still staggers me that for the first 10 years of my life, I existed under the Flora and Fauna Act of NSW."
    Then came the 1967 referendum, when Australians voted to extend full citizenship to Aborigines. Now, just days before the 40th anniversary of that vote, Ms Burney has described the referendum as a high tide in both the nation's history and her own - the moment when her status was elevated from fauna to citizen.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/when-i-was-fauna-citizens-rallying-call/2007/05/22/1179601412706.html

Blay wrote: »
    News Flash!

'People look different'

:pac:

*facepalm* THATS THE JOKE

*facepalm* THATS THE JOKE

Joke fail:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I worked in a very working class area of Melbourne for a few months,all my friends were Aussie i actually forgot i was Irish for a while because i acted so much like them,and yeah they are very racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Oh and this thread reads like something on Stormfront.

Well done AH yet again.

No it doesn't. A lot of people have experienced this in australia.

I have Aussie relatives and have lived over there. It's extremely racist and I was surprised by the casual racism. Even the greek lad that works with me remembers when he was young travelling in Australia being called a wog.

Let's not forget the 2005 Cronulla riots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

haha interesting :P

Nodin wrote: »
    My mistake - the whole thing sounded a little like something which would be debunked on QI! I guess the fact that it's so ridiculous yet true only adds to how depressing it is. You are right, as is Mushroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Toronto seems to be pretty tolerant. Race is just a complete non-issue here, it's great! And such a diverse mix of people, even down to an individual level, so many people are the product of mixed race families.

There definately are racial problems in Toronto, your average Irish person probably doesn't encounter it much but it's there, beneath the surface. Places like Regents Park are a case in point.

Canada in general has an extremely poor record with native Canadians also, treated them appallingly and continues to do so.
    No it doesn't. A lot of people have experienced this in australia.

I have Aussie relatives and have lived over there. It's extremely racist and I was surprised by the casual racism. Even the greek lad that works with me remembers when he was young travelling in Australia being called a wog.

Let's not forget the 2005 Cronulla riots

Were the Cronulla riots not instigated by Lebanese immigrants rather than "white" Australians?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

There definately are racial problems in Toronto, your average Irish person probably doesn't encounter it much but it's there, beneath the surface. Places like Regents Park are a case in point.

Canada in general has an extremely poor record with native Canadians also, treated them appallingly and continues to do so.

Were the Cronulla riots not instigated by Lebanese immigrants rather than "white" Australians?

I believeyou are correct, it was mainly the Lebanese community that was involved in the Cronulla riots, that happened during the time I was in Oz.

I was always told during my stay in Oz that the Lebanese were crazy.

I actually lived on Shuter street for a while - it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. And you're right on the second part, but every Canadian who I've talked to about it has said the same thing, that it's a disgrace how they've been treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Hmm....a country that was responsible for introducing a "White Australia Policy" (Immigration Restriction Act).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Give it a fcuking rest OP. I feel dreadfully sorry for you that you went all the way to Melbourne only to indulge your ridiculos views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

biko wrote: »
    How can you ask "Is Australia By Far The Most Racialy Tolerant Country In The World??" when you've only been to Melbourne?

Go into the outback, I did for weeks and out there racism is still common, mostly against Aboriginals. It's a different world out there.

Oz is an awesome place and I hope you have a great time but tbh it's the same as other places imo, and I've been to lots of countries.

Spent weeks in Queensland and as someone who has also travelled widely, I was surprise to meet so many red neck racists and anarchists. Yes a little less prevalent in the city areas Brisbane > Sydney > Melbourne.

The most tolerant place was Tasmania, but there hardly Australian?

Sorry no interest to visit other parts, sounds like one big vulgar cultureless outback with a shameful past.

Oz is awesome without the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I actually lived on Shuter street for a while - it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. And you're right on the second part, but every Canadian who I've talked to about it has said the same thing, that it's a disgrace how they've been treated.

Oh yeah, Shuter Street et al. aren't that bad, certainly compared to ghettos in US cities. More a working class area than anything. Just pointing out that everything in Toronto isn't as rosy as is sometimes made out.

Agreed on the 2nd part, my experiences were that the problem is a bigger issue in Quebec than Ontario or the Great Plains.

Advertisement