Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Australia By Far The Most Racially Tolerant Country In The World??

• 03-02-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think Australia is amongst the most racially tolerant countries in the world?? If not the most racially tolerant??

I'm in Australia now, on holiday and I think what most people don't appreciate about Australia is just how diverse its become. The amount of Asian immigrants into the country proves this. I walk around Melbourne here today and I'm amazed at the amount of racial mixing that goes on. Most people seem to think of Australia as some backward white racist country. Infact most people speak of Australia on these forums as quite racist. But I find that stereotype not true at all.

I would say its a FAR more racially tolerant country than here in Ireland (easily), Britain and most other european countries. When I walk around Melbourne today the vast majority of relationships I see are mixed race, not a large minority, but an actual majority. I see one every 90 seconds or so at least. There are no ethnic 'ghettos' or anything here. People assimilate brilliantly here.

I've only been here for just over 3 weeks, but really impressed with the amount of racial tolerance that Australia seems to have at a first glance, much more so than Ireland. I would regard Australia as easily the most racially tolerant country I've ever been to. Would anyone else here see Australia as a beacon of racial tolerance? Or I am wrong because I've only been to the cities mainly so I'm only judging them (the cities, not towns) and friends I know. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ask the aboriginies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Not sure if serious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

They used up all their racism on the Aborigines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Australia not racist??:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Holy Mother!!!

This would be like saying modern day Americans want to keep out immigrants. But of course, that would be silly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I wouldn't say tolerant.

Tolerant means you don't like something and you're just putting up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I always thought the complete opposite to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It's the land of convicts, of course there's loads of foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

No, it isn't.
    Then again, where is?
    As for areas in Melbourne where certain ethnics live, try Moreland for Lebanese and Northcote or Malvern for Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Would have said its one of the most racist countries tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Your having a laugh?
    Aussies are some of the most racist people iv ever met in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Hahahaha yeah...

Unless your black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

You can't really judge a whole country one the basis of one city. Especially a city which would be know as being the most bohemian of all Australian cities.

I found a world of difference between the attitudes of cities such as Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and smaller towns / country areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hahahaha yeah...

Unless your black.

MY black?

Isn't that illegal? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

I thought by the title you meant that aussies tolerate racists, as it's probably the most racist developed country in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Australians are the most bigotted, small-minded, willfully ignorant people on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Take a trip to one of their immigration detention centres and you won't have the same opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When your ancestors were sheep stealers and criminals you're not realy in a position to look down on others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Gnobe wrote: »
    Anyone?

No-one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Visit outback Queensland, They're very Tolerant there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Is Australia By Far The Most Racialy Tolerant Country In The World??

No. There is increasingly anti-Irish sentiment there given the high levels of Irish fecking off over there for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

When travelling across Europe from Scotland to Rome, I met a lot of Aussies. Each one I met was more rude and ignorant than the last. Any story I told, they had a better one. Everything you said was challenged as they knew better. I got alot of info on how Aussie Rules is so much better than GAA etc... I found they were the type who will talk AT you but never actually listen to you. A vain, ego fueled, loudmouth attitude cloaked as free spirited. They may not be racist, they are just wánkers.

Of course those are just the 20-30 aussie I met, I'm sure alot of them are lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

JustinDee wrote: »
    As for areas in Melbourne where certain ethnics live, try Moreland for Lebanese and Northcote or Malvern for Greeks.

St Kilda for the Irish :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As a tourist you get a very different picture of people than you do when you live with them. I know quite a few people who've lived and worked there, who say the australians hated the irish and treated them like sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

racists everywhere, no more or no less than anywhere else i suspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Unless your indian also, I remember this being in world news alot the last few years http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_against_Indians_in_Australia_controversy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You have to be naturally tolerant to drink Fosters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Gnobe wrote: »
    Does anyone think Australia is amongst the most racially tolerant countries in the world?? If not the most racially tolerant??

I'm in Australia now, on holiday and I think what most people don't appreciate about Australia is just how diverse its become. The amount of Asian immigrants into the country proves this. I walk around Melbourne here today and I'm amazed at the amount of racial mixing that goes on. Most people seem to think of Australia as some backward white racist country. Infact most people speak of Australia on these forums as quite racist. But I find that stereotype not true at all.

I would say its a FAR more racially tolerant country than here in Ireland (easily), Britain and most other european countries. When I walk around Melbourne today the vast majority of relationships I see are mixed race, not a large minority, but an actual majority. I see one every 90 seconds or so at least. There are no ethnic 'ghettos' or anything here. People assimilate brilliantly here.

I've only been here for just over 3 weeks, but really impressed with the amount of racial tolerance that Australia seems to have at a first glance, much more so than Ireland. I would regard Australia as easily the most racially tolerant country I've ever been to. Would anyone else here see Australia as a beacon of racial tolerance? Or I am wrong because I've only been to the cities mainly so I'm only judging them (the cities, not towns) and friends I know. Anyone?

Are you a troll or just a little simple or what's the story?

Australia is one of the most racist nations in the world. Along with being one of the most ignorant and uncultured.

BTW you said raciall/y tolerant/tolerance SIX TIMES there, SIX!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Advertisement