Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlas Shrugged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Two good, similarly, reviews of two recent biographies of Rand:

http://www.slate.com/id/2233966
    http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/60120/

You'll need a subscription to see a third review in the New Yorker from last November, but it reaches much the same conclusion as the first two above.

Ms Rand was not a happy camper and, to say the least, it shows in her writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Unfortunately, Rand goes on to confound her "objective reality" with subjective value judgments in Atlas Shrugged about what is right, just, and best for mankind, confusing and confounding means-ends rationality with value-rationality (see Max Weber).
    Aristotle's laws of identity
    If all that Rand proclaimed in Atlas Shrugged was purely objective, this reference to Aristotle may have merit, but alas, Rand goes far beyond by offering a very value-laden and subjective ethics, a problem noted by Hume when Aristotle's laws and ethics were confounded.
    I have read Atlas Shrugged. Perhaps you should consider expanding your “knowledge” and critically reading Of Grammatology (1967), wherein Derrida systematically deconstructs and critically reviews Ferdinand de Saussure (founder of modern linguistics), Claude Levi-Strauss (precursor of structuralism), and Jean-Jacques Rousseau (his version of existentialism); or Jan Patocka (philosophy of history) in Derrida’s The Gift of Death (1992)? Or the greatly informal and easier read of Points (1995) edited by Elisabeth Weber, et al, Stanford University, that contains 23 interviews of Derrida from 1974 to 1994?
    Yet another broad sweeping stereotypic generalization, this time mixed with ageism bias? How does this statement contribute substance to our discussion on Atlas Shrugged?
    Life is complex; philosophies even more so. And you continue to insist on a simple, nominal definition of "Left," while avoiding cross-cultural comparisons in terms of how "Left" is differentially defined vis-à-vis "Middle-of-road" or "Right" in different disciplines, contexts, and nations of the world; and how such comparisons may suggest that simple "Left" or "Right" nominal labels provide little substance or understanding as to how someone actually thinks?
    I cannot speak for all deconstructionists (whomever they may be), as they are more than likely highly varied in their views, understanding, and application of method; but there may be a few anthropologists, geneticists, and evolutionary biologists that would contend that a simple, nominal categorization of someone being labeled “black” or “white” would be “a gross oversimplification of the complexities?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

robindch wrote: »
    Ms Rand was not a happy camper
    I don't see what Ayn Rand's personal happiness has to do with anything. Unless, having exhausted other avenues of discussion, you are preparing an ad hominem argument? I thought we were discussing her literary work, not her mood swings.
    Ayn Rand is one of America's great mysteries. She was an amphetamine-addicted author of sub-Dan Brown potboilers, who in her spare time wrote lavish torrents of praise for serial killers and the Bernie Madoff-style embezzlers of her day.
    Oh my, did you happen to write this one, Robindch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

The New York magazine article is quite interesting actually. It's written by an ex-objectivist so it's more balanced than the first one.

For a satirical look at Ayn Rand's social circle I would recommend Murray Rothbard's play Mozart was a Red.

Valmont wrote: »
    I don't see what Ayn Rand's personal happiness has to do with anything.
    Well, I think it kind of does. I think we can probably agree that she was a rather unhappy, rather humorless woman. And I suspect that these characteristics were linked to her grand scheme, though one can only speculate about whether the emotions inspired the scheme, or the scheme inspired the emotions. As above, I suspect the former.

However, If Rand believes her plan is the best possible for all mankind -- and I think she certainly believed it was -- then I think it's fair to assume that she's sticking to her scheme herself and living out the consequences.

These consequences are as easily predictable as they are unhappy and I think her own life stands as a reasonable, if incomplete, warning to people about the inevitable end-result of her selfish, self-promoting, unhappy 'Objectivism'.

My life is too short to read Rand to the extreme lengths that she wrote :)

If you, or any of Rand's other supporters here, could explain briefly why selfishness is more likely than altruism to bring out the best in people, then I'm all ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Although I disagree with her on nearly everything I appriciate her ideas. Its a good insight into someone coming from that particular time and place.

If they'd read around 150 pages of the bible -- more than most A+A posters, I suspect -- then I'd be quite happy to take them seriously.

Out of interest, how much of the bible have you read? And have you read chunks of it in both Koine Greek and the Vulgate Latin, as I have? Should I take you seriously if and when you sound off about christianity? :)

My heart goes out to you. I have no idea how you did it :)
    In this post I included a video of Rand in which she states in simple terms the principal idea that I find unpleasant.

If what she is saying in this video about her own book is accurate (and I think it's reasonable to assume that it probably is) then one doesn't have to wade through 1,500 pages of poorly-written prose to have the same idea hectored at oneself endlessly.

Or are you saying that the thing that I object to -- her open promotion of self-interest at the expense of altruism -- is in fact, not an essential part of Objectivism?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We agree on something? Il n'a pas écouté mes conseils.
    Here we differ indeed! Nominal labels that lump people into homogeneous "Left" or "Right" categories over simplify the diversity of individual thought, and do not withstand the test of cross-cultural comparisons, much less other tests of differing contexts, thereby rendering their utility problematic. Further, they allow for the mindless creation of "us" vs. "them" adversarial relations that are based more on emotion than substance of thought. Eclectic thinkers that draw ideas from both of these arbitrarily constructed camps fit in neither, but are often subject to the labels of the hour, depending upon the subjective bias of the person attaching the label.
    Although I do not identify myself as a deconstructionist (i.e., not sure what I am, other than I am I), this statement would be easy to deconstruct with a reference to units of analysis as informed by statistical theory. Princeton is a case of one, and Harvard is a case of one; they are not a representative sample of all "American universities" statistically. Rather, to reason from one unit of analysis (two individual cases) to another unit of analysis (the population of American universities) is to commit an ecological fallacy (see Earl Babbie). Added to this, if we were to take a non-quantitative, qualitative purposive sampling approach (see John Creswell), the fact that both Princeton and Harvard are considered Ivy League, and the vast majority of American universities are not, would raise serious issues concerning representativeness.
    In addition to Atlas Shrugged, I have also read Anthem (twice now that I wanted to reference it for a point made in this post). It was perhaps obvious that I do not like being arbitrarily labeled into a nominal, either-or category and being deprived of my individual differences in thought, or of a great number of uncertainties. I find a similar grossly oversimplied nominal two-class system in Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, as well as Marx’s Das Kapital. In both works, the authors segregate large numbers of diverse people into undifferentiated, nominal categories that are either productive or unproductive, good or evil, capitalistic or labour, etc. In both Rand and Marx, by artificially placing someone into a homogeneous category, their individual identity and thought was lost. Which was not completely ignored by Rand when in Anthem she used satire:

"How dared you, gutter cleaner," spoke Fraternity 9-3452, "to hold yourself as one alone and with the thoughts of the one and not of the many?"

I am not Left. I am not Right. I am! It would be polite to extend that same courtesy to others, addressing the content of their thought, rather than dismissing them with a label.

Given the splendidly flexible attitude the last Republican prezzident maintained towards the rule of law, I'd have said that this imbalance has rather less to do with the nefarious activities of shadowy academic elites and rather more to do with self-preservation.

My Da has more than once quoted a statement he said came from the 60s: "You are either a part of the problem, or a part of the solution." So if you are not a part of the problem, you would by your words and actions role model and be "tolerant, open-minded, unbiased, and respectful of the vagaries of individual thought," and not repeat and reinforce the errors of those you oppose when they label your thoughts into an overly simplistic, "Right" or "Left" nominal characterization?

This is not to exclude a "robust exchange of views and ideas," or civil disagreements as to content, context, etc.; rather, I would hope that such discussions of differences in perspectives would continue. This would be consistent with Newman's idea of a university? Personally, I learn more from such exchanges than from mindlessly nodding my head in agreement with a position I may have taken in the past.

Although I disagree with the Rand message in Atlas Shrugged, I do accept a part, not all, of her message in Anthem. I would hope that I could make a similar distinction when treating the content of what you offer in these and other posts on boards, and not dismiss you, and what you say, with an overly simplistic and emotionally charged label.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Extreme political theories of the right and left fall down for the same reason...human selfishness. In an ideal world all people would be represented by an educated, informed, and caring group of people who would exercise and implement a reasoned system where there is neither too much regulation nor not enough regulation. Things like Marxism and Objectivism are pretty naive in my opinion, or at least proponents of such theories seem to be.

Not on this forum, you won't -- that's what the 'report' button is for just to the left of each post :)

BTW, for hte sake of clarity, I think it's better to refer not to "classical liberal viewpoints", but "libertarian viewpoints". Less chance of confusion and all that.

I appreciate the fact that you focus on the content of my posts, and not my failure to master the Queen's English. With your advanced scholarship in literature, you could tear me to ribbons.
    But I'd invite you to express classical liberal viewpoints just for one day, and wait for the stream of abusive invective—you'll be called everything from a lunatic to a sociopath to a right-wing nutjob for entertaining ideas that would have seemed completely sensible to Voltaire, Montesquieu, and Bastiat. It does tend to make one a tad defensive.
    Ooooooooo, a challenge that sounds like fun! I would first have to become more conversant with these philosophers you mentioned, before taking up this quest. Plus, I would have to fall back on Thoreau should someone question my integrity by shifting from one marked ideological position to another? Thank the gods there's some measure of anonymity on boards, or I might have to move to Waldon Pond to escape the "invective" of those that would fail to see the craic in such an exercise?
    I wonder how much social desirability confounds the measure of their real ideological positions in surveys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Derrida promotes the use of subcultural rationalism to modify society. Therefore, a number of desublimations concerning the collapse, and some would say the futility, of neocapitalist class exist.
    Lacan uses the term ‘nationalism’ to denote the common ground between society and narrativity. Thus, if dialectic objectivism holds, we have to choose between materialist narrative and postsemantic Marxism.
    The main theme of la Tournier’s model of nationalism is not theory, as dialectic objectivism suggests, but subtheory. In a sense, Sartre uses the term ’subcultural rationalism’ to denote the role of the artist as observer.
    But the characteristic theme of the works of Gaiman is the dialectic, and eventually the fatal flaw, of subcapitalist sexual identity. Baudrillard uses the term ‘dialectic objectivism’ to denote not, in fact, discourse, but postdiscourse. It could be said that the subject is contextualised into a subcapitalist cultural theory that includes culture as a reality. http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/
    An excellent source of material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Having heard about this book through the odd mention I was interested, until I read this summary.

It sounds like the conversation in one of those 1950's capitalist propaganda videos.

No wonder Greenspan is interested in it. I think the wikipedia founder is a hardcore Rand-ist too.

I'm going to have to read the book anyway, even if it is as crazy as that short summary makes it out to be. Based off that explanation it seems Rand is denouncing communism in a Nietzschean manner, needless to say she experienced the perversion known as communism on the ground in Russia that Emma Goldman documented so well in her book, so it's understandable that she'd take this view but I can see how this idea of hers could be used to provide the moral justification, so sorely needed, for a free market ideology.

I also recommend Civil Disbedience, a great essay.
    In other words, the hundred-plus "distressed" faculty were unhappy because the Institute might attract even more non-left economists to a university that, in their view, already had an uncomfortable history of dissenting from their preferred left-wing academic orthodoxy. Signatories to the petition included professors of art history, gender studies, theology, Mexican studies, cinema and media studies, English and evolutionary biology—hardly people who would be au fait with research in economics. I'd be surprised if many of them had ever even read a single page of Milton Friedman's work. They simply wished to shut down avenues of academic inquiry with which they disagreed from a distance—research into free-market economics being one.

Nobody benefits from groupthink. Nobody gains when faculty bind together in a mob in an effort to shut down research on certain, perfectly legitimate topics. But until people can be more tolerant of intellectual pluralism, until left-wing faculty refrain from trying to maintain their ideological fiefdom, and until the Milton Friedman Institute can exist uncontroversially alongside U. Chicago's Center for Gender Studies and the Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture, this left-right divide will persist..

What I think is brilliant about this hilariously misleading statement is that you neglected to mention the outcome of the exploration of Friedman economics.

What did Friedman's brand of economics do to Chile? How many people died under the might of the force required to continue implementing this horrible ideology?

How much did bread cost for the average citizen under the Chicago Boys run with Friedmanite economics?

It was hardly a 'miracle', as history shows us.

Seriously? You think Allede's democratically elected governance was just a basket case?
    In 1970, Salvadore Allende became the first Marxist to be democratically elected president in the Western hemisphere. In the course of his sweeping socialist reforms, he nationalized not only the copper mines but banks and other foreign-owned assets as well. Along with the redistribution of land under land reform, these actions deeply antagonized Chile's business community and right wing. It is now a matter of historical record that the CIA helped organize their opposition to Allende. A massive campaign of strikes, social unrest and other political subversion followed. In September 1973, the CIA helped General Pinochet launch a military coup in which Allende was killed. The Pinochet government claimed he committed suicide; his supporters claimed he was murdered.

The new government immediately began privatizing the businesses that Allende had seized, as well as reversing his other socialist reforms. But Pinochet did not have an economic plan of his own, and by 1975 inflation would run as high as 341 percent. Into this crisis stepped a group of economists known as "the Chicago boys."
    Just to counteract the lie that Chile was a Marxist basketcase, it was on the way to providing for it's historically neglected citizens, democratically. It was under the Christian Democrat Eduardo Montavla before Allende. After Allende was murdered & Pinochet's force-based rule drove inflation up Friedmanite economics were introduced, the beautiful consequences of this move I'll illustrate below.
    The Chicago boys were a group of 30 Chileans who had studied economics at the University of Chicago between 1955 and 1963. During the course of their postgraduate studies they had become disciples of Milton Friedman, and had returned to Chile completely indoctrinated in free market theory. By the end of 1974, they had risen to positions of power in the Pinochet regime, controlling most of its offices for economic planning.

The arrangement was a new one in the history of governments. Although Pinochet was a dictator, he turned the economy over to the Chicago boys, and his only role was to suppress political and labor opposition to their policies. This arrangement was presented to the Chilean people as the removal of politicians and politics from the nation's affairs. Instead, technocrats with Ph.D.'s would run the economy according to the best theory available. Those theories, of course, were the "neoliberal" theories of Milton Friedman.

Shortly after the 1975 conference, the Chilean government initiated the Economic Recovery Program (ERP). The first phase of shock therapy was reducing the money supply and government spending, which succeeded in cutting inflation to acceptable levels. However, it also caused unemployment to rise from 9.1 to 18.7 percent between 1974 and 1975, a figure on par with the U.S. Great Depression. Output fell 12.9 percent — making this Chile's worst recession since the 1930s.

Meanwhile, to prevent the political consequences of such a shock, the Pinochet regime began cracking down on potential opposition leaders. Many just "disappeared." The human rights violations of the Pinochet regime will be reviewed below, but, suffice to say, workers "accepted" this austerity program at gunpoint.

By mid-1976, the economy began recovering, and from 1978 to 1981 it achieved what the Chicago boys called the "Economic Miracle." During this period the economy grew 6.6 percent a year.
    Just to set the scene. After ousting a democratically elected government that was on the path to providing for it's citizens that had ups and downs Pinochet's rule destroyed the economy until the Chicago brand of economics was invited to solve the horrible problems Pinochet had created.

During a recession, actual productivity drops as millions of workers are laid off and factories sit idle. But all the potential productivity is still there. During a recovery, actual productivity climbs closer to its potential, as millions of laid-off workers return to empty factories. This gives the appearance of growth — and we should note that this type of growth is relatively quick and easy to achieve. But what happens when all the workers have returned? Then any further growth will have to involve potential growth — that is, the construction of factories and the birth of new workers. As you might imagine, this type of growth is considerably more difficult to achieve.

So this is all that happened that during Chile's "Economic Miracle" — laid-off workers returned to their old jobs. When you take both the recession and recovery into account, Chile actually had the second worst rate of growth in Latin America between 1975 and 1980. Only Argentina did worse.

And even then, much of Chile's growth was artificial or fictitious. Between 1977 and 1981, 80 percent of Chile's growth was in the unproductive sectors of the economy, like marketing and financial services. Much of this was speculation attracted to Chile's phenomenally high interest rates, which, at 51 percent in 1977, were the highest in the world.

Chile's integration into the world market would leave it vulnerable to world market forces. The international recession that struck in 1982 hit Chile especially hard, harder than any other Latin American country. Not only did foreign capital and markets dry up, but Chile had to pay out stratospheric interest rates on its orgy of loans. Most analysts attribute the disaster both to external shocks and Chile's own deeply flawed economic policies. By 1983, Chile's economy was devastated, with unemployment soaring at one point to 34.6 percent — far worse than the U.S. Great Depression. Manufacturing production plunged 28 percent. (8) The country's biggest financial groups were in free fall, and would have collapsed completely without a massive bail-out by the state. (9) The Chicago boys resisted this measure until the situation became so critical they could not possibly avoid it.

The IMF offered loans to help Chile out of its desperate situation, but on strict conditions. Chile had to guarantee her entire foreign debt — an astounding sum of US$7.7 billion. The total bailout would cost 3 percent of Chile's GNP for each of three years. These costs were passed on to the taxpayers. It is interesting to note that when the economy was booming, profitable firms were privatized; when those firms failed, the costs of bailing them were socialized. In both cases, the rich were served.
    That last part is particularly interesting.

After the IMF loans came through, the Chilean economy began recovering in 1984. Again, it saw exceptionally high growth, averaging about 7.7 percent a year between 1986 and 1989. (11) But like the previous cycle, this was mostly due to actual growth, not potential growth. By 1989, the GDP per capita was still 6.1 percent below its 1981 level. (12)

So what was the record for the entire Pinochet regime? Between 1972 and 1987, the GNP per capita fell 6.4 percent. (13) In constant 1993 dollars, Chile's per capita GDP was over $3,600 in 1973. Even as late as 1993, however, this had recovered to only $3,170. (14) Only five Latin American countries did worse in per capita GDP during the Pinochet era (1974-1989). (15) And defenders of the Chicago plan call this an "economic miracle!"

Aggregate statistics are somewhat better. Between 1970 and 1989, Chile's total GDP grew a lackluster 1.8 to 2.0 percent a year. That was slower than most other Latin American countries, and slower than its own record in the 60s. (16)
    Just so everyone can see how the lack of facts on your part served your purpose, it's a shame when we bring in the historical record :rolleyes:
    Chile's income inequality also became the worst on the continent. In 1980, the richest 10 percent took in 36.5 percent of the national income. By 1989, this had risen to 46.8 percent. By contrast, the bottom 50 percent of income earners saw their share fall from 20.4 to 16.8 percent over the same period.
    This is stability?

Need I continue? I haven't even reached the part explaining the horrendous crimes against humanity & supression Pinochet implemented to scare the people out of resisting this craziness.

A third defense is that the experiment was not a failure at all, but a rousing success. Usually these sort of apologetics are based on manipulative interpretations of the business cycle. The most common is to look to the incredible booms of the late 70s and late 80s — while ignoring the events responsible for them, namely, the deep depressions that happened prior.
    I wonder would this be your defense, in light of the details I've provided?

As for Friedman advocating violence, I've never read of this. I've only read of his arguments for removing seatbelts & using the equivalent of brainwashing techniques to coax manufacturers into providing them, and his dealing's with/praise for Pinochet.

I'm sorry, I was trying to let the record speak for itself so that you don't think I'm just spouting my opinion with nothing to back it up. The coloured parts were just my emphasis, I hope you read them.

Allende was democratically elected, provided better working standards and employment for his people & constantly struggled with ups and downs with the economy - in favour of his people. How is 4% unemployment a basket case economy? Also, he didn't have to murder nearly 3000 people (the official no. anyway) & instill fear in his population in order to continue his policies.

Allende didn't up unemployment to 30% (he got it down to 4% in 1972) , cause 2 recessions in his time in office, cut social services in order to cut the consumer price index, drop family allowances 70% or cut public education, health and housing by 20%. He wasn't perfect, and I don't claim he was, but his people had democratically chosen him.

Milton Friedman has the audacity to claim that Chile was eventually a success after it removed it's dictatorship and was replaced by a democratic society.

In other words, after democratically electing Allende who increased living standards & employment etc... without thousands dying, a dictatorship comes to power, uses the Chicago brand of economics to bring in 2 recessions, increase unemployment, and eventually use public funds to bail the country out of their mess after some fine economics, & that's success? The success of a country is measured in more than GDP, is the quality of life is irrelevant?
    Eh? Source, please, for the seat belt and brainwashing claims? And can you document Friedman's dealings with and praise for Pinochet?

Sorry, I should have been clearer - he dealt with Pinochet in that meeting yes, he offered political advice to that same dictator who had murdered plenty of people in such spectacles as The Carnival of Death and many others, after ousting the previously democratically elected president - against the public will I might add.

His praise for Pinochet, well;

Conservatives have developed an apologist literature defending Chile as a huge success story. In 1982, Milton Friedman enthusiastically praised General Pinochet (the Chilean dictator) because he "has supported a fully free-market economy as a matter of principle. Chile is an economic miracle."

his own words are enough. I don't understand why the wikipedia article has him backtracking slightly, I wonder why :rolleyes:

As for the seatbelt thing, it's on the youtube O'Donahue interview on youtube, here.
    His argument is that if you don't have a degree in physics, engineering & be a mechanic then tough luck because if you don't understand the damage that can be done when you crash a car & you choose to drive without a seatbelt then you have chosen to die. It's in your own self interest to acquire all of these seperate views of the world before you get into a car.

• Advertisement

Well it's good to know that you aren't reading any of my sources because all of the coloured text came from the original source in my first post. I felt the need to quote them because I knew you hadn't read them, it was simply a means of emphasis, to get you to acknowlegde the specifics of the article - which I've heard no comment on.

Alright, I see the emphasis is on slurs and insinuations that Marxism has something to do with Chile's bad economy towards the end of Allende's governance.

What is the single biggest export in Chile?
    What was the main source of income for Chile?

Copper.
    Export income fell due to a hard hit copper industry: the price of copper on international markets fell by almost a third, and post-nationalization copper production fell as well. Copper is Chile's single most important export (more than half of Chile's export receipts were from this sole commodity[29]). The price of copper fell from a peak of $66 per ton in 1970 to only $48–9 in 1971 and 1972.[30] Chile was already dependent on food imports, and this decline in export earnings coincided with declines in domestic food production following Allende's agrarian reforms.[31]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Allende

(that actually has to be read in order to understand the preceeding stateent)

Now, before this, in 1970 the U.S. pressured the IMF & World bank to reduce Chile's aid from $400 Million to $13 Million in 1972, also the U.S. put $7 Million into Allende's opposition. There was plenty to deal with in Chile and still Allende remained popular, I don't think your slurs explain why an economy that had been getting better in many respects ran into problems.

Sorry, I missed that part. Can you indicate, please, where Friedman offered political advice to Pinochet?

For the record, are you trying to argue that when economists from the World Bank and the IMF issue advice to countries such as Zimbabwe, those economists are then complicit with the human rights atrocities in those countries?

I'm arguing that Friedman offering advice, political or economical, (to a man who had killed thousands of people) that enabled his hold over the people of Chile's lives is atrocious. The Chicago brand of economics needed enforcement under dictatorial rule. The Chilean university had previously rejected offers from the Chicago school on hearing the policies, it was a Christian school that accepted the Friedmanites pre-1973, a Christian school with no economics program, i.e. no awareness of how crass a policy theirs was. Democratically the people refused these policies, under Pinochet they flourished. What does that say about these idea? Nevermind all the evidence I've given regarding their failures...
    It examines in depth how large U.S corporations, faced with losing firms and mines in places like Chile, offered funding to the University of Chile to study under Friedman in Chicago- it was resoundingly rejected. However the Catholic University of Chile took the offer and soon 100 Chilean students at any one time would be studying and graduating from the ‘Chicago-school’ of puritanical Free Market economic liberalism. They then returned home to teach free-market economics at the Chilean institute in an attempt to convert the countries thinkers. Thankfully their ideas registed nothing on the political spectrum, and in democratic votes the Latin America bloc seemed to more even further to the left and Chile’s copper mines were to be nationalised out of American private hands.
    http://keithobrien.ie/blog/?p=138
    As regards political advice, how is offering an economic plan designed to save the country Pinochet had economically neglected in his quest of murder and power not aiding Pinochet politically? How is that not explicitly aiding him? How is lauding Pinochet with the highest praise not supporting him? Friedman's ideas offered Pinochet the perfect economic plan, Pinochet could not use democratic means to govern a country in which fear & murder frightened the populace too much to rebel.
    In March 1975, the Chicago boys held an economic seminar that received national media attention. Here they proposed a radical austerity program — "shock treatment," they called it — to solve Chile's economic woes. They invited some of the world's top economists to speak at the conference, among them Chicago professors Milton Friedman and Arnold Harberger. Unsurprisingly, they gave the proposal their highest praise. The plan called for a drastic reduction in the money supply and government spending, the privatization of government services, massive deregulation of the market, and the liberalization of international trade.

This was not solely the Chicago boys' plan. It was also formulated by the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, who made the program a precondition for future loans to Chile. The IMF and World Bank would make similar conditions of other developing nations around the world, but none would implement their program as thoroughly and completely as Chile. Interestingly, the World Bank now holds Chile up as an example to be emulated by the rest of the Third World. Considering Chile's huge debt and interest payments to the World Bank, it is not difficult to see why. The debt, devastation, inequality and exploitation that the IMF and World Bank bring to Third World countries in the name of "neoliberal development" is another story in itself. Brazil and Peru are two other notable examples — but Chile remains the worst.
    http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-chichile.htm
    You've referred above to Friedman's "arguments for removing seat belts." In fact, Friedman argued that people should be free to choose for themselves whether or not to wear seat belts, rather than having the state make that decision for them. That's quite a different thing.

Arguing that someone needs a degree in physics to understand the safety implications of driving without a seat belt is just silly.

How is that silly? Kinetic Energy is ½mv², in other words if your driving along without a seat belt & suddenly you crash your body, by Newton's First Law will continue to move under it's own inertia and strike whatever is in front of it (steering wheel, window) not with a velocity v but a velocity v². That is a hell of a lot of difference and scary when you give it serious thought. If someone doesn't realise this implication, (which I guarantee you many drivers do not) and they choose to drive without a seatbelt why should they be allowed to unknowingly put themselves at risk with a beast whose power they vastly misunderstand?

It's in their interest to know that...

Yes, I think so anyway but the reality is many people do not appreciate math of physics, do they deserve to die on account of this? Mind, this is just one example.

I'm all for choice & freedom to choose but when your talking about safety & technical issues there has to be some compromise.

Here's a gedankenexperiment, what happens if a mother chooses to buy a car without seatbelts and then brings her children for a drive & crashes & the kids die when a seatbelt would have saved them. Now, the kids didn't choose to die, nor did they deserve to on account of the mother's ignorant choice. How can a kid be expected to choose? This is the set up Friedman is asking for, unknowingly in a manner similar to that of a persons lack of knowledge of K.E. I'll bet, yet that is the policy Friedman wants. If we introduce some law prohibiting kids from entering a non-seatbelted car then we've come into conflict with our libertarian views...

It's even more interesting if you watched that O'Donaghue video as Friedman talks about how there should be no problem unless the interests of 2 parties conflicts with those of a third party. Unless we're going to make one-person cars with no seatbelts, a 4-seater car is providing the possibility of 3 passengers intersts being conflicted with. Do we introduce cars whose driver seat has no seatbelt yet the passenger seats have them? When does the lunacy end? I could keep going :p

I see you've been emphasizing the word political in an attempt to
    constrict it's meaning to the dictionary definition, I'm sorry that the way
    I've used it requires a bit of thought so I'll hope you'll
    suspend your disbelief for one moment, regardless of this little
    technicality being your only lifeline.

I'll repeat what I wrote:

How is offering an economic plan designed to save the
    country Pinochet had economically neglected in his
    quest of murder and power not aiding Pinochet politically?

How is that not explicitly aiding him?

Friedman's ideas offered Pinochet the perfect economic plan,
    Pinochet could not use democratic means to govern a country in
    which fear & murder frightened the populace too much to rebel.
    Seeing as he waved democracy on entering into power, attempted
    his own crazy brand of governance until the country fell into chaos,
    how is taking up Friedman's economic policies with Friedmans advice
    not politically aiding him to stay in power?

As for your gross oversimplification & misrepresentation of Chile toward
    the end of the Allende government, I thought I'd clear it up ;)

Remember, Allende;

1: Had unemployment down to 4%, Pinochet after plenty of years
    to experiment with their perfect ideology
    had unemployment up to 30%.
    (figures vary but around that number).

2: Was democratically elected, with his people in full knowledge
    of his basketcase Marxist ideology.
    He won the 1970 with a majority of 39,000 votes and seeing as there
    was no majority vote the constitutional mandate for joint congress
    decision picked Allende again with 153 of the 195 votes.

Note: He won this election despite plans such as
    The Allessandrai Formula & The Million Dollar Offer ;)

3: Did not need to use a school with no economics plan to get into
    the country after being rejected by the countries scholars while
    they had deocratic freedom to choose their economic future.
    (Remember, he was voted in by his people).

4: Raised & dropped his wages many times over the course of his
    run in government, (one can speculate as to whether he did this
    to better the lives of his people or for some other reason,
    there's probably some sick propagandizement Marx wrote in Das
    Kapital that you'll let us in on :p)

5: Increased milk, cement, phonograph, etc.. (see below) productions higher than they had been,

6: Had followed through more thoroughally & quicker with the land reform
    policies that had been promised to the Chilean people under Eduardo
    Montavla's Christian Democrats, and had been on Chile's
    agenda historically anyway.

7: Increased copper output amazingly, despite strikes etc... and, as I've
    already pointed out, suffered dramatically as a consequence of the global
    markets prices suffering in 71-72. Remember, Chile mainly depended on
    Copper & they did not control the world market prices.

Now, I've tried to stick as close as possible to government sources
    seeing as you've decided to try to undermine my sources.

I want to show you how much Chile was financed by outside aid before
    we just blindly accept your views.

First, I want you to see how much, (and why), the U.S. had put into
    Chile from 1964-1970.
    "The U.S. reaction to the new hemispheric danger - communist
    revolution - evolved into a dual policy response. Widespread
    malnutrition, illiteracy, hopeless housing conditions and hunger
    for the vast majority of Latin Americans who were poor; these were
    seen as communism's allies. Consequently, the U.S. undertook loans
    to national development programs and supported civilian reformist
    regimes, all with an eye to preventing the appearance of another
    Fidel Castro in our hemisphere.

But there was another component in U.S. policy toward Latin America.
    Counterinsurgency techniques were developed to combat urban or rural
    guerrilla insurgencies often encouraged or supported by Castro's
    regime. Development could not cure overnight the social ills which
    were seen as the breeding ground of communism. New loans for Latin
    American countries' internal national development programs would take
    time to bear fruit. In the meantime, the communist threat would
    continue. The vicious circle plaguing the logic of the Alliance for
    Progress soon became apparent. In order to eliminate the short-term
    danger of communist subversion, it was often seen as necessary to
    support Latin American armed forces, yet frequently it was those
    same armed forces who were helping to freeze the status quo which
    the Alliance sought to alter.

Of all the countries in the hemisphere, Chile was chosen to become
    the showcase for the new Alliance for Progress. Chile had the
    extensive bureaucratic infrastructure to plan and administer a
    national development program; moreover, its history of popular
    support for Socialist, Communist and other leftist parties was
    perceived in Washington as flirtation with communism. In the years
    between 1962 and 1969, Chile received well over a billion dollars
    in direct, overt United States aid, loans and grants both included.

Chile received more aid per capita than any country in the
    hemisphere. Between 1964 and 1970, $200 to $300 million in
    short-term lines of credit was continuously available to Chile from
    private American banks.
    "
    http://foia.state.gov/Reports/ChurchReport.asp

^(For background on how mired in aid Chile was before Allende)^

(this document will codify many of those claims)

This, coupled with the foreign aid I've mentioned, just shows
    how in need of aid the country was as Allende tried to reform
    this situation. I've already mentioned how sanctions were placed
    to reduce foreign aid to Chile over Allende's governnance
    and this being implemented certainly did not help things in the country.

I want to make it clear, while the U.S. did not cut off their aid to Chile,
    (I believe the law that would of allowed them to do so was written with regard to sugar plantations (Cuba)), they did put heavy sanctions on
    foreign aid to Chile to tighten the noose or, as Nixon put it,
    "Make the economy scream".

Also, look at how much was spent in opposition to Allende by America;
    "TABLE I -Techniques of Covert Action -Expenditures in Chile, 1963-73 (1).
    Techniques Amount
    Propaganda for elections and other support for political parties
    $8,000,000

Producing and disseminating propaganda and supporting mass media
    $4,300,000

Influencing Chilean institutions (labor, students, peasants, women) and supporting private sector organizations
    $900,000

Promoting military coup d'etat
    <$200,000"
    http://foia.state.gov/Reports/ChurchReport.asp
    I've also mentioned the world copper industry prices dropping in 1972. These are all important factors that explain what happened in Chile.
    How are any of these a result of Marxist theory? If anything, the Marxism explains what happened to Chile because it
    explains why the U.S. was so hell bent of destroying Chile,
    to stop the Marxism.
    I see you like to constantly blame Allende for this...

Here is a nice summary if you've just skipped everything I've written so far;
    "President Allende promulgated and enforced an ambitious land reform. Chile, like almost every Latin American nation, imported a high percentage of its food (it always had), not because the country could not produce its own food but rather because landowners held land for speculation rather than production. Fertile land lay fallow while expensive food imports ate into the hard-currency foreign-exchange reserves which could have been spent more profitably on capital machinery. During the 1964-70 period, the Christian Democrats had promised a land reform, but they dawdled and delayed, compromising with the inefficient landowning class. In his first year of office, Allende distributed more land, 5.5 million acres, than his Christian Democratic predecessor had in six years. The landless rural proletariat appreciated Allende's actions, which were in strong contrast to the grandiose promises of former governments.
    Opponents of the Popular Unity government, as well as the foreign press, have emphasized Chile's economic difficulties during the Allende years. Their views neglect two considerations, and that prevents a fair assessment of the period. First, Chile has always had economic problems. The economy depended for decades on the sale of copper abroad, and since foreigners both set the price of copper and owned the mines, Chile has had great difficulty in feeding itself. Approximately one-third of Chile's imports consisted of foodstuffs, at least in the period since World War II. As late as the 1960s, sociologists classified 60 percent of the families as impoverished. The infant mortality rate in Chile was triple that of the United States. In short, Allende inherited serious economic problems. Second, the economic achievements of the Popular Unity government generally were ignored or received less attention than the failures.
    A fuller range of statistics and other interpretations must be taken into account in order to reach a balanced understanding of Chile's experiment with socialism. Last August, the government's statistical office released figures showing that many important industries (a few examples would be condensed milk, cement, poultry products, phonograph records and pork products) were producing more than at any previous time. Addressing the nation on September 4, President Allende pointed with pride to the facts that in a year farmers had doubled the number of acres under cultivation, that copper production in the Chuquicamata mine (by far the largest and most important in the nation) had broken all production records in the month of August, and that the international price of copper was rising swiftly.
    Surely in an economy dominated by copper production the output and price of that one product assumes a disproportionate importance. Chile has no control over the price and must depend on the whims of the international market. Low prices in 1971-72 dealt a cruel blow to the nation's economy, but the rising prices in 1973 were a welcome relief to economic planners. On the other hand, Chile of course does control its production and that rose during the Allende years. Chile Economic News (March 15) calculated copper output as 571.3 thousands of metric tons in 1970 and 593.0 in 1972, a rise despite the strikes of managerial and white-collar personnel at the mines. Even so harsh a critic of the Allende government as William Buckley, Jr. recognized a significant rise in copper production in 1971. The economic successes of the Allende government do not negate the difficulties, stresses and reverses which also accompanied those transition years when Chile attempted to move from capitalism to socialism. The successes are mentioned here because they tend to be neglected, and no final judgment of Allende can be made without considering them. "

http://www.thenation.com/article/true-verdict-allende
    Now, as you've mainly focused on criticizing Chile pre-1973, i.e. pre-coup,
    you've totally ignored the destruction that Pinochet & the Chicago-style
    economics did to the country.

I've given plenty of figures etc... to show why I think this, I have plenty
    more to illustrate how unfeasible this method of governance
    was in practice, under their ideal conditions.

I've also got Friedman quoting Chile as an economic miracle referring to
    1978-1981, (the quote is in 1982), little did he know how terrible things
    would become in Chile once the pressure got strong enough.

I'll play your game too, I've got respected journalist Greg Palast's view on
    what happened in Chile under Pinochet for you to indulge in;
    "Freed of the dead hand of bureaucracy, taxes and union rules, the country took a giant leap forward - into bankruptcy and depression. After nine years of economics Chicago style, Chile's industry keeled over and died. In 1982 and 1983, GDP dropped 19%. The free- market experiment was kaput, the test tubes shattered. Blood and glass littered the laboratory floor. Yet, with remarkable chutzpah, the mad scientists of Chicago declared success. In the US, President Ronald Reagan's State Department issued a report concluding, 'Chile is a casebook study in sound economic management.' Milton Friedman himself coined the phrase, 'The Miracle of Chile.' Friedman's sidekick, economist Art Laffer, preened that Pinochet's Chile was, 'a showcase of what supply-side economics can do.'

It certainly was. More exactly, Chile was a showcase of de-regulation gone berserk.

The Chicago Boys persuaded the junta that removing restrictions on the nation's banks would free them to attract foreign capital to fund industrial expansion.

Pinochet sold off the state banks - at a 40% discount from book value - and they quickly fell into the hands of two conglomerate empires controlled by speculators Javier Vial and Manuel Cruzat. From their captive banks, Vial and Cruzat siphoned cash to buy up manufacturers - then leveraged these assets with loans from foreign investors panting to get their piece of the state giveaways.

The bank's reserves filled with hollow securities from connected enterprises. Pinochet let the good times roll for the speculators. He was persuaded that Governments should not hinder the logic of the market.

By 1982, the pyramid finance game was up. The Vial and Cruzat 'Grupos' defaulted. Industry shut down, private pensions were worthless, the currency swooned. Riots and strikes by a population too hungry and desperate to fear bullets forced Pinochet to reverse course. He booted his beloved Chicago experimentalists. Reluctantly, the General restored the minimum wage and unions' collective bargaining rights. Pinochet, who had previously decimated government ranks, authorized a program to create 500,000 jobs. In other words, Chile was pulled from depression by dull old Keynesian remedies, all Franklin Roosevelt, zero Reagan/Thatcher. New Deal tactics rescued Chile from the Panic of 1983, but the nation's long-term recovery and growth since then is the result of - cover the children's ears - a large dose of socialism.

To save the nation's pension system, Pinochet nationalized banks and industry on a scale unimagined by Communist Allende. The General expropriated at will, offering little or no compensation. While most of these businesses were eventually re-privatized, the state retained ownership of one industry: copper.

For nearly a century, copper has meant Chile and Chile copper. University of Montana metals expert Dr. Janet Finn notes, 'Its absurd to describe a nation as a miracle of free enterprise when the engine of the economy remains in government hands.' Copper has provided 30% to 70% of the nation's export earnings. This is the hard currency which has built today's Chile, the proceeds from the mines seized from Anaconda and Kennecott in 1973 - Allende's posthumous gift to his nation.

Agribusiness is the second locomotive of Chile's economic growth. This also is a legacy of the Allende years. According to Professor Arturo Vasquez of Georgetown University, Washington DC, Allende's land reform, the break-up of feudal estates (which Pinochet could not fully reverse), created a new class of productive tiller-owners, along with corporate and cooperative operators, who now bring in a stream of export earnings to rival copper. 'In order to have an economic miracle,' says Dr. Vasquez, 'maybe you need a socialist government first to commit agrarian reform.'

So there we have it. Keynes and Marx, not Friedman, saved Chile. "

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/South_America/Chile_Miracle_Pinochet.html
    I've happily taken the ball into my court to answer your claims of Chilean basket-cased-ness. I await your claims in defense, (which haven't surfaced at all so far ;)), I'll end with something you can begin with, in a similar vein to that you attempted, by quoting Nobel laureate in Economics Amartya Sen;
    "Amartya Sen, in his book Hunger and Public Action examines the performance of Chile in various economic and social indicators. He finds, from a survey of the literature on the field:
    The so-called "monetarist experiment" which lasted until 1982 in its pure form, has been the object of much controversy, but few have claimed it to be a success...The most conspicuous feature of the post 1973 period is that of considerable instability...no firm and consistent upward trend (to say the least).
    From the period 1970-1985, there was no growth in per-capita GDP, a decline in real wages by 20% and an (overall) increase unemployment from 6% to 14%.
    The percentage of Chileans without adequate housing increased from 27 to 40 percent between 1972 and 1988, real prices increased dramatically, the richest quintile increased their share of income from 44.5% in 1970 to 54.6% in 1989 whilst the poorest decreased from 7.6% to 4.4%[12]

For the period 1985-96, Chile's annual growth in per capita real income from averaged 7%, far above the rest of Latin America. [1] Since then the economy has averaged 7-percent annual growth, raising per capita income for Chile's 16-million citizens to more than $10,000 and creating a thriving middle classI][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I. This growth stagnated in 1997, with GDP rising by only a small margin between 1997 and 2002.[13] and was interspersed by major recessions, arguably caused by neoliberal policies themselves, for example in 1982 and 1983 when the collapse of the financial sector caused Chile’s GDP to fall by 16 percent, unemployment to shoot up to 30 percent and around 50 percent of the population to fall below the poverty line. Extreme poverty also affected 30 percent of the population.[14]

Developments were very positive with regards to infant mortality and life expectancy - infant mortality rate fell so much that Chile achieved the lowest level of infant mortality in Latin America in the 1980s.[15] Infant mortality rate in Chile fell from 82.2 per 1000 to 19.5 per 1000 from 1970-85.
    However, Sen notes that this improvement was not because of "free-market" policies but because of active public and state intervention. Chile had a very long tradition of public action for the improvement of childcare, which were largely maintained after the Pinochet coup:
    ... there is little disagreement as to what caused the observed improvement in the area of child health and nutrition...It would be hard to attribute the impressively steady decline in infant mortality ... (despite several major economic recessions) ... to anything else than the maintenance of extensive public support measures
    He also argues that because of this targeted intervention, there was no improvement in general living standards. The improvement in life expectancy was almost wholly a result of improved infant mortality. He shows that Life expectancy at birth increased from 64.8 years to 68.3 years in the same period but life expectancy at age 1 remained about constant at 68.6 years in the same period.
    The economic policies, maintained consistently since the 1980s, have contributed to steady growth and reduced poverty rates by over half.[11][16] Only 14% percent of the population lives below the poverty line. "

Anybody who can make it through that 3,000 word post can claim a free drink at the next A+A beers(*).

sponsoredwalk -- try to write more and quote less!

(*) Terms and conditions apply :)

Anybody who can make it through that 3,000 word post can claim a free drink at the next A+A beers(*).

sponsoredwalk -- try to write more and quote less!

(*) Terms and conditions apply :)

Does that include me? :p

When the record is as rich as it is what's the point in offering my opinion?

I think quotes from government documents, (and nobel laureate economists if we're going to get all argumentum ad verecundiam on it), are the perfect antidote to perpetuating slanderous myths...

These things are detailed & can't be written off with single slurs if you want to be serious. There's less chance of some of the things in this song coming into play :pac:

As for Ayn Rand, there is a film about her life called A Sense of Life that would probably clear up some of the idea's in this thread about her being depressed etc... I haven't seen it yet but if anyone is interested there is that as a start, it would probably put Atlas Shrugged into greater context.

I think the best thing is to think about what you're saying before you slanderously use facts to defend your point of view.

I must say it's very insulting for you to chastize people on here for not having an intelligent discussion over Rand's work & then to go off labelling Chile as X,Y,Z while attempting to defend a brand of economics that promoted misery amongst people for years, eventually leaving the country far worse off than it was before...

What's worse is that you use these people (chicago school) as an example of being the brunt of leftist groupthink... It didn't take a genius to see the flaws in their shock treatment brand of thought, & now that we have the objective test it's clear to all of us what was clear to many level-minded individuals in the 60's.

As much as you like to use the evolutionary biologists etc... who signed that petition as a means to discredit it, and further some leftist conspiracy, how do you rationalize the Chilean universities abject refusal of complying with the Chicago school? I suppose the communications went on with the Chilean biology department, not the economics department :rolleyes:
    In any case we have our laboratory case, (as close as history can permit), and it comes out in favour of those darned evolutionary biologists...

This is very similar to the way creationists use the controversey to get different viewpoints into the science classroom.
    People criticizing these idea's doesn't automatically qualify them for disney movie style underdog support.

It's all well and good to fight for a fair conversation when it's in your interest, but on a topic that isn't, well that's a different story now :pac:

I also recommend you read Derrida's Spectre's of Marx & perhaps learn how to correctly apply the term Marxist, perhaps your misuinderstanding of the term is what confuses you & prevents you from replying to the Hegelian portion of Glas...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think quotes from government documents, (and nobel laureate economists if we're going to get all argumentum ad verecundiam on it), are the perfect antidote to perpetuating slanderous myths...
    I think the best thing is to think about what you're saying before you slanderously use facts to defend your point of view.
    Don't you mean libelous? :)

Dades wrote: »
    Don't you mean libelous? :)

Ooh that's good :D

I was thinking more slanderous with the basket case comment, as it was meant in that demonic sense, but I think your word is apt to much of this discussion,
    ty ;)

• Advertisement

libelous?
    Libellous...? :)

BTW, libel occurs in print, slander speech.

Continuez...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Libellous...? :)
    The Interweb seems to embrace both spellings equally! As will I. ;)

Either suffices :p

I think this is an interesting thread & I don't mean to sidetrack it from discussing Ayn Rand but I felt that was an avenue that had to be explored.

I'm really surprised with all of the mention of Derrida, and Foucault, and Marx, and all this intense literature that my interlocutor would
    also rush out such rash and s l l i a b n e d l e l r - ous claims & then repeat them when pushed.
    If you, or any of Rand's other supporters here, could explain briefly why selfishness is more likely than altruism to bring out the best in people, then I'm all ears!

Having read up on her a bit, I am guessing it's in the capitalistic sense, i.e. if everyone pursue's their self interests then everyone is happy. Since she left communist Russia I can see what she means in a sense.

I don't think she was accounting for any Darwinian alruism or anything lol, no knowledge of bats & their habits or anything like that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Tunnel vision at its finest. But then that's unsurprising from someone who claims that crime and social upheaval are a consequence of the emergent welfare state. Perhaps picking the Irish crime stats of the 40's/50's (a period of mass emigration and the suppression of knowledge and reporting of varied violent crime) is because pretty much any period prior to that, while providing even less in the way of state welfare support, demonstrate quantifiable higher levels of crime than is the case within our current tepid social democracy, and (has already been pointed out) those states that have a background of proper social democracy, have measurably lower crime rates.

And can we put paid to the notion that a US academic preference for the Democrats over the GOP somehow equates to 'The Left'? The ideological gap between the reality of the two parties is, in practical terms, minimal. It's about as meaningful as stating that those who contribute to FG over the PD's are part of an engrained left-wing bias.

The Interweb seems to embrace both spellings equally!
    "Libellous" in the anglo-speak, "libelous" in the USA-speak; like focused and focussed, only the other way around.

Blame Noah Webster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"Libellous" in the anglo-speak, "libelous" in the USA-speak; like focused and focussed, only the other way around.

Blame Noah Webster.

Actually, not to get too far from the topic, but I'm pretty sure "focused" and "focussed" are acceptable in both.

Alright, why do you think I put facts in itallics?

I guess I should have put this ==> :rolleyes: <== smiley
    next to the word facts in order to convey the meaning better,
    I'm sorry the subtelty escaped you but I was alluding to the
    certainty with which you
    characterized Chile as a Marxist Basketcase, as you'll see I
    mentioned to Dades if you don't believe me...

Now, how could I be disputing something for which I've given 2 years of background evidence to?

What kind of an argument is this?

I've given you 2 years of evidence to explain the coup,
    even gone back to 1962-4 to give you more background
    to avoid any possible mischaracterizations, but you like to
    focus on an extremely small time frame that is the
    direct result
    of what I've laid out for you.

From the content of your posts it seems as though you're drawing
    all of your opinions from this unbelievably narrow time frame.

If only history worked that way, unfortunately it requires an
    understanding of preceeding events to actually grasp the meaning
    of events cogently...

At this stage I can only guess your preplexity with regards to Glas
    stems from a lack of understanding of Hegel, who depends on
    the entire history of philosophy in order to be understood, I can't
    really argue with someone who's willing to focus on the span of
    a few months & use those to bandy about marxist basketcase
    characterizations to suit some personal agenda.

But what is just hilarious is your source;
    He was Secretary of Labor and Social Security, and Secretary of Mining, in the cabinet of General Pinochet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Pi%C3%B1era
    You are using the dictators own secretary of labour as a source, seriously...

This is a guy who implemented much his work during the 78-81 Chilean miracle & then got out in 1981, just before the economic collapse in 1982.

I'm sorry but I've given plenty more evidence than the recollection of one of Pinochet's supporters to argue my case, if you'd bother to read the huge piece I wrote in defense of my views you wouldn't have asked me such childish questions.

If we're going onto comments from the Chilean government, lets get a comment from one of Jose Pinera's allies;
    "Admiral Jose Toribio Merino, member of the
    military junta which overthrew Allende:
    "Chile is bankrupt and destroyed and not because it hasn't been
    producing. It's bankrupt because its production was plundered
    and stolen by thieves." "

(I dare you to find that comment without a search button
    amongst my sources, you might actually read them)

All of this does nothing to argue your case for the Chilean school of
    economics, which you still completely ignore in your responses &
    shouldn't have if you'd bothered to read my posts.

Actually, not to get too far from the topic, but I'm pretty sure "focused" and "focussed" are acceptable in both.
    I'm sure nobody worried about them one way or the other, but "focussed" in anglo, "focused" in webster. They produce about 1% of the cross-pond bitching that the ise/ize non-issue produces.

Anything to change the topic from the economics of Chile in the 1970's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Back on topic

Back on topic
    In one of the earlier quotes on here from Rand she says that religion was a type of sacrifice of the ideal for the non ideal; she then goes on to state this is a poor model for the modern commercial world; a businessman sacrificing himself to lesser worthwhile projects is a ultimately a waste of everyones time? It appears to me that this quote underlines her tenuous position. If this position were taken as a given by an impressionable young man the potential for corruptibility would be enormous as it encourages the 'greed is good' motto and a simultaneous loss of consciousness about the welfare of fellow human beings out of the principal that ones singlemindedness (selfishness) will ultimately strengthen society as a whole. In actual fact it occurs to me that this is currently the situation with many corporations. Far from strengthening society as a whole, many major corporations, even when they are having a mostly positive economic impact are have an enormously negative impact on the environment - a element that seems to have slipped Rands mind somewhat. BP's premium for drilling rights to Transoceanic was half a million dollars a day so the temptation to take every possible shortcut are evident with the latest estimates being that 25,000 barrels of oil a day are spilling into the ocean causing one the biggest man made disasters ever. In fact the exact same thing happens on every level of Randian behavior and thought - people suffer, get hurt, manipulated or used in order for other people to make inordinate profit. Her "comes around goes around" philosophy seems a bit wishy washy, it relies on the honesty of the very wealthy, it relies on the humanity of those in power, qualities which not encouraged to initiate the process in the first place but will ultimately arise once prosperity has been achieved? Or we are we forgetting about the destitute altogether? Either way I don't like her one bit.

Advertisement