Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRA issue threat to Dublin Drug gang

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just because they don't sell drugs doesn't mean they're not involved in how drug dealing works in Ireland.

The IRA are, at best.. 'regulators' of the drug trade here

Proof?

Nope.

Next.

Oh but arent they the de-jure army of the people? Dont we come before criminals? It is a basic duty of theirs to ensure the wellbeing of the Irish people, and the continued health of Irish society, free from the pollution of drugs.....

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dlofnep wrote: »
    Proof?

Nope.

Next.

Proof against?

Obviously an argument can't be won against a hard-liner. You'll draw your own conclusions in the end, as will I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Evidence?
    Well thats hard to do, no IRA could ever admit to being a member if they got caught with drugs due to their anti drugs propaganda. What is it that makes you think they have never had anything to do with drugs? Or are you just taking the word of the terrorists and murders that held back peace in Ireland for so long?

Anyone that was involved in the drugs trade in Ireland in the 90s will tell you the IRA where at the top of the ladder and not just in this country. I don't see why any of those involved would give up that money, especially now that they've nothing better to do doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Proof against?

Obviously an argument can't be won against a hard-liner. You'll draw your own conclusions in the end, as will I.

You wouldn't win that argument against even a hardline critic of the IRA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well, define : IRA & involvement

Convictions? lmao

Keep your heads in the sand though, by all means

Look mammy, clueless posts. You know the provo's were dealing wink wink nudge nudge? Should have told the gardai at the time they might have even managed to get one conviction for it lol

And all those nordies drug dealers in dublin in the 80's? they must have been on a comission from the provo's..and those sly hoors were going around claiming the 'RA had kicked them out of belfast under threat of death or interfering with their knees. :o

It would also explain why belfast had a huge heroin problem back then and our garda run capital city had none...oh..wait a minute :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You wouldn't win that argument against even a hardline critic of the IRA.

He wouldn't lose it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Why do the IRA not assist Gardai in the smaller cases and only target the 'big fish' when they show a superiority to another criminal gang, ie the IRA?

It's a good point.
    It's only in recent years with the emergence of some of these large, extremely ruthless criminal gangs that the PIRA was presented with someone in the South who were willing to challenge them.

Criminals gangs were traditionally terrified of the PIRA.
    A case in point being Martin Cahill, he tried it on with them and look what happened to him.

These newer breed of criminal gangs are made up largely of crazed lunatics in their late teens and early twenties who live by the mantra 'I don't give a shlt' - and they don't.
    Previously PIRA member would only have to give these guys a dirty look to keep them quiet, now it's a much different story.

Regarding PIRA involvement in drugs.
    A plausible case cannot be made that the PIRA as an entity, are or ever were involved in drugs.
    PIRA members involvement in drugs was never viewed as acceptable by the organisation.
    Having said that it would be extremely naïve to say that no PIRA members privately got involeved in the drug trade.
    Obviously factors such as their status in the underworld and things like their involvement in cigarette smuggling would place them ideally to abuse their position so as to make money somehow from the drugs trade.
    It's pretty much a well known fact that certain members, particularly in areas such as Limerick and Dublin have been involved (be it loosely or not) in the drugs trade for years.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well thats hard to do, no IRA could ever admit to being a member if they got caught with drugs due to their anti drugs propaganda. What is it that makes you think they have never had anything to do with drugs? Or are you just taking the word of the terrorists and murders that held back peace in Ireland for so long?

Anyone that was involved in the drugs trade in Ireland in the 90s will tell you the IRA where at the top of the ladder and not just in this country. I don't see why any of those involved would give up that money, especially now that they've nothing better to do doing.

Another theory. A rubbish one. No evidence, its up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well I'm not going to start naming and shaming IRA or the other side (who where at it too) on a public forum. If you want to believe the IRA are all fine upstanding members of the community then I don't think anyone can possibly talk sense with you. So I'll leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Look lads, the Herald hype has been believed.

Everyone dislikes the IRA killers, yay for diplock courts for gangland criminals.
    Boards snapshots general public opinion once again.

the government smiles and enforces law.

Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newstar

Wayne Doherty was not a scum bag but all drug dealers are and yes they should get what they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

**** the drug dealing, murdering scum that continue to try and ruin communities in Ireland and most definitely **** the IRA in all it's entities.

Hopefully, they'll all get what's coming to them someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Another theory. A rubbish one. No evidence, its up to you.
    No evidence against.

Surely the PIRA would have done their level best to prove otherwise.... Why didnt they? Perhaps they didnt care for their image.

No evidence against.

Surely the PIRA would have done their level best to prove otherwise.... Why didnt they? Perhaps they didnt care for their image.

Like the lads who were beaten and jailed for trying to take Viper Foley off the streets?

• Advertisement

No evidence against.

You are the accuser, the burden is on you to provide evidence.

ScumLord wrote: »

So you were involved in the drug trade in the 90's?

Either that, or you're going on some hearsay nonsense that your drunk uncle told you one night over a game of scrabble.

In closing, it's BS. No one is claiming the PIRA were saints, but drug-dealers they were not. And until you can provide evidence to suggest that the PIRA was somehow on top of some drugs-ladder, your comments carry no weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I took a different view on this:

the country is ****ed, no one has money, gangland crime is on the rise, powers that be are unwilling or unable to do anything about it (bar the typical knee jerk reactions) I'm sure there are plenty of people out there willing to "forget" the IRA's past if a few less scumbags are on the streets. this new breed of scumbag knows no fear and the IRA probably think they can show them the meaning of it. then they are the ones with power. its really only a few steps away from anarchy.

i wish i could draw a better paralell and its so cliched, but the nazi's were like this, preying on the fearful, paranoid and naive, while they were a highly organized gang of thugs....sound familiar?

its like bad hollywood movie. i'm expecting edward furlong to come in as the crow, and start dishing out justice and failing, cos you know, he's the ****ty crow.

No evidence against.

Prove otherwise? Isn't it "innocent until proven guilty"? The onus is on you to prove guilt. Not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

The IRA didn't need to get their hands dirty all they had to do was "tax" the dealers. Naive to think they would not do so considering the huge amounts of money there for the taking.

• Advertisement

You are the accuser, the burden is on you to provide evidence.
    Hang on, I havent accused yet.

but em, id say im in the majority of irish people who fail to be convinced that they never dealed drugs. When the 'organisation' is met with a barrage of that sort from the Irish public, wouldnt it be in their best interests to ensure to everybody that such claims are ludicrous? They're failure to clarify the issue leaves me to think that all is (was not rosy on their behalf). Was their involvment of different sort? Extortion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

The front page of the Evening Herald today claims that the Provisional IRA in Dublin have issued a threat to a major drug & crime gang located in the west of the city following the murder of inocent dad Wayne Doherty. The threat was made last Sunday and coes after local residents have called on the IRA to take action against drug dealers.

Supposedly the man responsible for the murder has gone into hiding and the parents of Wayne Doherty have asked for "no retaliation" for their sons murder. A senior police officer from Dublin is quoted as sayig "They [the IRA] want to use it to take a stand against drug dealers in the local community". The police also said that senior members of the IRA have threatened to shoot the trigger-man (who is well known) on sight. The Gardai have said they will not tolerate IRA vigilante activity in the area and have called for the Provisionals to withdraw it's threat.

Evening Herald, Tuesday 7th July, City Final, Vol188 No160, Pgs1 & 4

:pac:

And you believe the Evening Herald do you?.

Lot of hyped up rumor BS.

I never believe anything that's in that newspaper ( except the obvious parts i.e. death notices ).

DubMedic wrote: »
    And you believe the Evening Herald do you?.

Lot of hyped up rumor BS.

I never believe anything that's in that newspaper ( except the obvious parts i.e. death notices ).

No, I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dlofnep wrote: »
    So you were involved in the drug trade in the 90's?

Either that, or you're going on some hearsay nonsense that your drunk uncle told you one night over a game of scrabble.

In closing, it's BS. No one is claiming the PIRA were saints, but drug-dealers they were not. And until you can provide evidence to suggest that the PIRA was somehow on top of some drugs-ladder, your comments carry no weight.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so naive as to think that the biggest smuggling gang on this island would have no involvement with smuggling drugs. Ye trying to say that every crate coming through the middle east and north african corridor to ireland was arms? Were the south armagh boys all too busy washing the dye out of diesel to notice the drug trade? Have a read of Howard Marks book, Mr Nice. Might open yer eyes as to how smuggling in general works. Better still, have a read of "Cocaine Politics" by peter dale scott and johnathan marshall and see how everyone from the US government to the CIA to Contras and rebel armies the world over fund themselves.

Do you think the "Birdwatchers" in columbia were getting paid for their bomb building expertise in money by the Cocaine producers? And its all just a huge coincidence that the country is now flooded with cocaine.

And one other thing... an AK47 weighs 4.2-4.5 kg, depending on the model. They sell in africa or the middle east for between $40-$100. They sell here for between 500-1500 euro, depending on the condition and the dealer. A kilo of herion or cocaine would generate 50-100 times that. So if the IRA leadership want to finance their cause they'd want to be pretty fukkin retarded to stick to smuggling tonnes of arms.

You dont need any more proof when the reality is so fukkin obvious. My apologies for reading books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Its often said no IRA man was ever convicted for drugs. Its true.

Now, while the IRA were never involved "hands on" like the loyalists, it doesn't make them superior. Remember Concerned Parents Against Drugs(CPAD)? They never hassled dealers who paid the IRA protection money as they were commonly organised by Sinn Fein. Marlo Hyland was one example.

Martin Cahill(The General, and a man who I believe was an utter scumbag) was killed by the IRA because John Gilligan(major drugs importer) was paying them off and convinced them Cahill was selling heroin(which to be far the IRA NEVER tolerated but Cahill wasn't actually doing it) and organised logistics for a loyalist bomb attempt on a Sinn Fein event in Dublin. It didn't work out, but one man was killed.

These are just some examples, I just think its pathetic the way sympathisers go on as if the IRA were completely seperate from drugs even though they profited from backing up major drug lords

John Gilligan(major drugs importer)

heroin(which to be far the IRA NEVER tolerated

Hmm....

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so naive as to think that the biggest smuggling gang on this island would have no involvement with smuggling drugs. Ye trying to say that every crate coming through the middle east and north african corridor to ireland was arms? Were the south armagh boys all too busy washing the dye out of diesel to notice the drug trade? Have a read of Howard Marks book, Mr Nice. Might open yer eyes as to how smuggling in general works. Better still, have a read of "Cocaine Politics" by peter dale scott and johnathan marshall and see how everyone from the US government to the CIA to Contras and rebel armies the world over fund themselves.

Do you think the "Birdwatchers" in columbia were getting paid for their bomb building expertise in money by the Cocaine producers? And its all just a huge coincidence that the country is now flooded with cocaine.

And one other thing... an AK47 weighs 4.2-4.5 kg, depending on the model. They sell in africa or the middle east for between $40-$100. They sell here for between 500-1500 euro, depending on the condition and the dealer. A kilo of herion or cocaine would generate 50-100 times that. So if the IRA leadership want to finance their cause they'd want to be pretty fukkin retarded to stick to smuggling tonnes of arms.

You dont need any more proof when the reality is so fukkin obvious. My apologies for reading books

Perhaps you should read a book by Jim Monaghan about his time in a Colombian jail cell and about his comments on the very story of drugs in South America, since you're into reading books.
    Again, no evidence, just theories, some of which not even the media buy into.

that rhetoric reminds me of Nick Griffen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Martin Cahill(The General, and a man who I believe was an utter scumbag) was killed by the IRA because John Gilligan(major drugs importer) was paying them off and convinced them Cahill was selling heroin(which to be far the IRA NEVER tolerated but Cahill wasn't actually doing it) and organised logistics for a loyalist bomb attempt on a Sinn Fein event in Dublin. It didn't work out, but one man was killed.

Did it not subsequently come to light that, despite the IRA claim they had done it, it was the INLA that killed Cahill, though both the IRA and INLA received payment? The deal being brokered by Traynor and Gilligan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A couple of days after the loyalists disarm, a anti-drugs local hero gets shot, and the IRA issue a death threat to those who killed him.

That's probably just coincidence.

Or they are getting a large advertisement in a paper that they're here to do "good", and not just kicking out anyone who doesn't pay protection money...

=-=

"There has been no hard evidence to date that the IRA became directly involved in large-scale drug dealing. They tended to leave that to non-members who, gardai firmly believed, paid substantial percentages of their profits for IRA protection. The IRA may not be directly involved in the drugs trade but it benefited financially in a massive way."

=-=

Remember: most of the IRA's money came from robbing banks in the republic, and shooting any Gardai that got in their way. Some of the ex-members have since made pipe-bombs for drug dealers in Blanchardstown and Limerick, but as they're ex-*IRA/INLA/etc we're not meant to count them.

• Advertisement

that rhetoric reminds me of Nick Griffen

Lol you're telling a lad who has attending countless anti-racism events across Europe. Yep, I guess I am.
    Remember: most of the IRA's money came from robbing banks in the republic, and shooting any Gardai that got in their way. Some of the ex-members have since made pipe-bombs for drug dealers in Blanchardstown and Limerick, but as they're ex-*IRA/INLA/etc we're not meant to count them.

Do you work for the Dept. of Justice?

Lol you're telling a lad who has attending countless anti-racism events across Europe. Yep, I guess I am.

your attitude, not your beliefs. There is no denial on your behalf, just 'prove it'... otherwise its all 'lalalala'

Anti-Racism events? Fair play I must say though, I myself see it as wholly pointless as the people present at the events are hardly those who need the help. But thats my opinion!

your attitude, not your beliefs. There is no denial on your behalf, just 'prove it'... otherwise its all 'lalalala'

Anti-Racism events? Fair play I must say though, I myself see it as wholly pointless as the people present at the events are hardly those who need the help. But thats my opinion!

You're making accusations you cannot prove and you think the more you say it the more valid it becomes, that is quite an attitude to have.

And the accusation is?

Please quote them.

Perhaps you should read a book by Jim Monaghan about his time in a Colombian jail cell and about his comments on the very story of drugs in South America, since you're into reading books.

Thats the jail he's supposed to be incarcerated in for helping drug producers build bombs isn't it? I'm sure he has some great tales to tell in it. I'll probably find it in the fiction section in the library

Thats the jail he's supposed to be incarcerated in for helping drug producers build bombs isn't it? I'm sure he has some great tales to tell in it. I'll probably find it in the fiction section in the library

No, he wasn't in jail for that reason. You must be talking about someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

im no supporter of the RA but they are the only crowd who can but the fear of god into these scum, cause these fools have no fear of you, me, the gaurds or the state.

No, he wasn't in jail for that reason. You must be talking about someone else.
    You're right, sorry. He was there for unlicensend ornithology wasn't it? My mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

After all, the IRA are the undefeated Army.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    After all, the IRA are the undefeated Army.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

You're shіt.
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

TheZohan wrote: »
    Because it gets to a stage where enough is enough.

Mother****in' IRA.

Again, no evidence, just theories, some of which not even the media buy into.

So if some provo says it then its the truth but if books have been written and published about it by leading scholars from top universities then its just a whimsical theory? I love chucky logic

So if some provo says it then its the truth but if books have been written and published about it by leading scholars from top universities then its just a whimsical theory? I love chucky logic

I recommended a book to a member, don't twist my words or make silly allegations :)

http://sciencetraveler.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/funny-pictures-cat-greets-dog-at-door.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The front page of the Evening Herald today claims ...

...which should be a caution itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If its in tony o reillys evening herald it must be right :rolleyes:

I suppose folklore is a good thing for trade!

The IRA will never go away you know, especially when you have independent newspapers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

At least the IRA are doing something, the Gardai are sitting on their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

If its in tony o reillys evening herald it must be right :rolleyes:

I suppose folklore is a good thing for trade!

The IRA will never go away you know, especially when you have independent newspapers!

Indeed we should all read Saoirse or An Phoblacht for impartial news stories about IRA hero's ridding our streets of scum.

Its laughable that a morally corrupt organisation like the IRA and its supporters feel they can take the moral high ground and pontificate to the rest of us.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    At least the IRA are doing something, the Gardai are sitting on their arse.

Yes because the IRA can just go out and blow up or kill people and then crawl back under whatever rock they hide under. The Gardai have a little thing called the Law to adhere to and evidence to gather. If the Gardai could go out and shoot criminals in the head at will then there would be no more IRA people left. And that would be a shame wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Hear hear, a bit of common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you insinuating IRA involvement in drugs?

Not directly I'm sure, and never with gear I would say, but there was always the issue of indirect 'criminal taxation', despite the public face of opposition and execution of minor drugs figures.

The dissidents surely are.

Not that this would exactly add much to the smörgåsbord of Provo criminal activity anyway, which already includes smuggling, bank robbery, murder, extortion, racketeering and money laundering.

And more on topic, just what right do the provos (or any group) have to interfere with matters that are the sole province of An Garda Siochana in our state? Or, if needed, the province of our own Óglaigh na hÉireann. The real one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement