Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you enjoy school?

Options
  • 27-08-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed the most of my school life.
    Junior and Senior infants: It was okay. I didn't really understand the point of school and never settled down fully due to being sick.
    1st to 6th class: I really enjoyed primary school. The principal was excellent and the teachers were very good. Got bullied the odd time but nothing serious. It was a nice relaxed primary school.
    1st to 6th year. Secondary school overall for me was average. Some good times and some bad.Teaches were generally excellent and cared about the students apart from one. They were very fair as long as you treated them with respect and tried.

Did you enjoy school? 74 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 74 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wasn't in today, HOLIDAYS!!:pac::):pac::p:D

Oh, you meant in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Primary - yes, apart from Irish and the over-emphasis a lot of teachers put on it.

Secondary - up until the Junior Cert, meh. After, no.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

State of it.

Best years of my life ME HOLE.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary -no, left handed and the nuns literally battered me to make me change to the right hand.
    Secondary not really, bar sport. I was very young and repeated the leaving in another school, loved it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Who *enjoys* school? It was an experience, but that's all. The worst day of work beats the best day in school because at least you're getting paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Primary - no.
    Secondary, it was fine. Made really good friends, had a laugh, got up to devilment. Wouldn't be rushing back now mind you but it was what it was and it was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I hated it from the day I started to the day I left... The worst three days of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Hated it. Got picked on, didn't make friendships anywhere close to the quality I did later in college. Lumped together with people just because you were in the same catchment area instead of having the same interests. Very lonely time too. Wouldn't go back for diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sand wrote: »
    Who *enjoys* school? It was an experience, but that's all. The worst day of work beats the best day in school because at least you're getting paid.

:o

Seriously though, yeah, I actually did enjoy school, have many fond memories and I still have some great friends from my school days. I think because I enjoyed school I did well, can't say I have any complaints really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Loved it. Met a great bunch of friends in both primary and secondary and am still very friendly with them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Enjoyed the learning for the most part (some subjects excepted). Didn't enjoy the formality and monotony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

Didn't hate it didn't love it. It was just something I had to do

Somehow ended up not wanting to leave though. I think it was the holidays that drew me back in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Primary - yes, apart from Irish and the over-emphasis a lot of teachers put on it.

Secondary - up until the Junior Cert, meh. After, no.

Exactly :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Primary - yes
    Secondary - eh, No

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

School = worst days of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Oddly enough, this conversation came up in work earlier. Most people liked it. I hated it. Just felt like a day prison to me. I enjoyed a few classes, but that's about it. Plus I resented having to attend a Catholic school. I was always in trouble for calling them out on the bull**** they spouted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Didn't enjoy primary at all. Secondary was OK from 3rd year onwards, but I remember thinking back then that I would be looking back on this as the best days of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Got on surprisingly well with everyone in my year etc (wasn't popular as such either)
    Did v.good in the leaving cert etc....but didn't like it either....felt it was pointless most of what we learned (still do)

If you gave me Ireland free I wouldn't go back

Don't really remember much of primary school...if I'm honest...don't really remember much of around that age atal if I'm honest :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Good and bad memories but I enjoyed primary school a lot more than secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

****. Utter ****. I did well, had a few friends when I was there but who I've now lost touch with.

I hated the bullying that went on. How if you were one of the best GAA players you could get away with doing no homework and bully other kids. Luckily I was only occasionally on the end of it but when I think back at the few lifes who were harmed forever by the **** that went on it makes me ****ing angry.

What I do find funny is the types whose lifes haven't evolved try to add you on Facebook??? I mean why? You never knew me and probably never will again why go through the bother as I wont accept you to stalk me. If you look through their friends list it's basically just a list of everyone they went to school with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Mostly, yes. After eight years of going to a really nice, friendly primary school, secondary was an initial shock. I was bullied constantly throughout first and second year, for being really quiet and self-conscious, which made me even quieter and more self-conscious, and probably irreparably damaged me. I became so quiet and withdrawn that even the bullies started taking pity on me, for which I'm eternally grateful. Either that or they just got bored and moved on to hassling the lad whose mother had sex with the local parish priest. In which case, I'm eternally grateful to the clergy.

I really enjoyed the last couple of years of secondary, after all the idiots had either been kicked out or left of their own accord. By sixth year, it was a small, tight-knit group and I was actually quite sad to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Primary -no, left handed and the nuns literally battered me to make me change to the right hand.
    Secondary not really, bar sport. I was very young and repeated the leaving in another school, loved it there.

... and yet you becaue a teacher??!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I don't think I had too many issues with primary school... probably enjoyed it for the most part, the senior years more so than the junior ones.

Secondary was a big adjustment, but not in a particularly unpleasant way. Some hiccups in the junior years, little bit of bullying, not fitting in etc. but nothing major.. possibly part of growing up.

The leaving cert years were hell. Repeated, the repeat wasn't too bad but truely the first 5th and sixth years were a nightmare, enough to weigh the whole thing up on the negative side and vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Didn't hate or love it, just got on with it, didn't make load of friends, 3 in particular I did and we are still good friends years later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Enjoyed primary, I think! Can't really remember. Was very quiet and a bit of a swot.

Didn't really enjoy secondary school. All girls convent. Not fun! Whenever I go past the place I shudder. Didn't have the worst experience ever, just didn't really fit in with most people. Had a much better time in college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hated it.

X-country in the freezing rain

All the teachers were total cnuts. The worst was Latin - ffs, Geography, and French.

One time we got our own back. The school had a minibus and we could adjust the windscreen washers so they pointed forward. Driving slowly through Putney, the lad in the front slides his foot over and squirts this big guy walking past. Tufty (the teacher) nearly $hit himself while the big guy went postal, kicking the door of the van.

One laugh in 7 years :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

... and yet you becaue a teacher??!
    Yes, because I wanted to be the kind of teacher that encouraged learning and not fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I loved going to school.

I loved going home from school too, it was the staying there I wasn't particular on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Fear coercion and bullying. The worst years of my life. It didn't help that my parents thought that corporal punishment and bullying were "normal" and accepted it until they found me up at 4 am in the morning trying to do homework in sheer terror of not having it done for one hitler type teacher the next day.

My father then had words with the teacher and like all bullies he backed down and I was left alone after that.

All I learned at school is that might is right and violence and coercion succeeds in a short term way to get to your goals. I also learned to hate maths at school. The teachers were not interested in the development of their pupils only in having a quiet time in class at all times. This they achieved by corporal punishment, sarcasm and bullying. This was copied by the stronger pupils on the weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 fuzzypickle

I loved it until we moved and I had to change school. Never settled after that and it all went downhill.
    I absolutely hated secondary.

Advertisement