Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wasps! Why are people so freakin' afraid?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Been stung a few times by them, it's not too bad, maybe a little bit worse than a nettle sting. I'd understand allergic people being really afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Been stung a few times by them, it's not too bad, maybe a little bit worse than a nettle sting. I'd understand allergic people being really afraid

The thing is most of us don't know if we are allergic so maybe fear is the wisest response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The thing is most of us don't know if we are allergic so maybe fear is the wisest response.

Fear is a slow killer. Never fear anything. I never got stung in my life. The reason for this is that I never flay my arms around trying to swipe at the little fellers. Let them be curious near you for a few seconds and they will always fly away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hate them too, but not nearly as much as I hate idiots who flail around in panic when they see one. It's like they want to get stung!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

My dog (rip) was stung as a puppy and made it her life's mission to attack every wasp she heard / saw!

It made walks this time of the year a total nightmare as she'd spot a wasp and decide to get revenge (dragging me along)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Had a teacher in secondary school that was fatally allergic to wasp or bee stings. Could never get over how she could let one land on her and let it walk all over her.

If one came into the classroom I'd have to leave. Even jumped out of a (slowly) moving car to get away from one of the cnuts. I've handled snakes, tarantulas and other stingy, bitey things without a problem but let me see or hear a wasp and I'm gone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So your saying we need more hornets to get rid of the wasp problem, I'l start importing them right away. :D
    Besides if the hornets become a problem, we simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes; they'll wipe out the lizards. Then we've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat. And here's the beautiful part... when wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

briany wrote: »
    What, the alternative option is to stand there and let them land on us and maybe sting us?

No, run around flailing your arms and straight into an oncoming car, Id rather get stung myself.
    PucaMama wrote: »
    Ha good one. :)

She was stung as a child and had an allergic reaction.

became allergic to gluten after being stung by a wasp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

kneemos wrote: »
    Funny ha ha or funny peculiar loike?

Funnnnnnny haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Asian hornets could appear in Ireland, warns the Dept of Agriculture

They are already spreading across mainland Europe, and pose a considerable threat to the honey bee. Here they are in action against a honey bee hive..

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

degsie wrote: »
    What's the deal here? Why are ppl so freaked out by wasps? Don't get it.

Story in the papers today about a boy getting knocked down while running away from an 'angry' wasp. He had a sambo in his hands!

I once managed to chop the yellow bit off the back of a wasp (during a period of going after them with a scissors). You might be suprised to note that they seem to continue on as normal as the front bit with the yellow and black bit gone.

I think I remember the venom oozing out of the bit that was cut off.

Try it yourself. Now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They remind me of Kilkenny, that's bad enough, throw in a sting and they're absolute cúntbags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

A lot of peoples reaction to them are OTT in my opinion, the more you act up the more they go after you.

But yeah i wouldnt just let them land on my bare skin either or near my face because they sting for nothing and it is quite painful. I got stung years ago while in bed on the back of my neck and it fcuking hurt.

A lot of peoples reaction to them are OTT in my opinion, the more you act up the more they go after you.

But yeah i wouldnt just let them land on my bare skin either or near my face because they sting for nothing and it is quite painful. I got stung years ago while in bed on the back of my neck and it fcuking hurt.

maybe it was ur gf. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Last three weeks -

Went to open the front door- wasp lurking under handle, stung me between my thumb and first finger...pain..

Had the van window open, wasp flies in, into fold of collar, stings me on neck...Pain...

Wasps = Pain.

I hate wasps. I hope they all get Wasp AIDS and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

A queen wasp over wintered in my dash board and decided to wake up on the M7 in traffic. I had to pull off the road and try to get the huge yoke out of the car!!

It took 20 mins as she was going nowhere fast and looked seriously well armed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I have a fairly serious allergy so I find that the old threat of dying does it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

wasps aren't afraid of people,,

they will take you on anytime anywhere,

they have a kamikaze element,

it would be like a person taking on a 40 meter tall giant and expecting to win,

i got attacked by one yesterday,

i tried stepping away, he approaches from behind,

i eventually escaped from him/her

you have to be afraid of certain creatures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Menas wrote: »
    I got stung in the mouth a few years ago. Little fcker snuck in to my bottle of Fanta and I took a slurp of waspy fanta and he stung me.

Never forget. Never forgive.

:eek: you've just described my worst childhood nightmare there ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hate them. A few have been coming into the house recently.

I have one of those stupid fly swatters which are surprisingly effective.

Anyway, I smacked this one prick of a wasp , but it wasn't a fatal blow. It did do severe damage however, and I observed his final moments. The stinger was firing repeatedly and with menace. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

keith16 wrote: »
    Hate them. A few have been coming into the house recently.

I have one of those stupid fly swatters which are surprisingly effective.

Anyway, I smacked this one prick of a wasp , but it wasn't a fatal blow. It did do severe damage however, and I observed his final moments. The stinger was firing repeatedly and with menace. Disgusting.
    I remember witnessing a wasp caught in a spiders web and the spider was spinning him in more webbage , the ****ers sting was pulsating like mad , it was vile , but the spider was a smart chap , he kept well clear as he bundled the little bastard up !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Billy86 wrote: »
    Besides if the hornets become a problem, we simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes; they'll wipe out the lizards. Then we've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat. And here's the beautiful part... when wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Wasps weigh 1/10 gram. Their sting CAN hurt but flailing arms aroud wildly and screaming like a sissy seems a little disproportionate imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I would think, especially from someone's comment earlier about "the Irish fear" of them that it is a lot to do with our very safe country. Certainly when most of us were growing up (dramatic tales of daddy-long-legs aside), the most dangerous creature in the wild pretty much was a wasp! Plus they are very fast, reasonably aggressive, fearless, have that warning buzz designed to cause alarm in potential predators, the warning black and yellow stripes, the downright creepy semi-detached lower body, oh, and the arsedagger.

As regards the colouration, we, (along with other predator species) do have a certain inbuilt recognition of natural warning signs in other species - red and black/yellow are amongst them.

Countries that have plate-sized venomous spiders cba worrying about wasps in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Story in the papers today about a boy getting knocked down while running away from an 'angry' wasp. He had a sandwich in his hands which apparently angered the wasp.

White Anglo Saxon Protestants never did me any harm. Just stay away from Drumcree around the 12th of July and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Samaris wrote: »
    I would think, especially from someone's comment earlier about "the Irish fear" of them that it is a lot to do with our very safe country. Certainly when most of us were growing up (dramatic tales of daddy-long-legs aside), the most dangerous creature in the wild pretty much was a wasp! Plus they are very fast, reasonably aggressive, fearless, have that warning buzz designed to cause alarm in potential predators, the warning black and yellow stripes, the downright creepy semi-detached lower body, oh, and the arsedagger.

I vote we rename the stinger to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Actually wasps are just checking people out for food or threats... a friend of mine from Germany laughs at us Irish for being afraid of wasps -- she said it's really bizarre.

I also think this is a bit of an Irish thing. My oh and his family always panic if we're sitting out in the garden and there's a wasp around, they try and chase it away etc. I keep telling them to just relax and ignore it, it will leave if there's nothing interesting around. Wasps usually don't sting unless you provoke them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

miezekatze wrote: »
    I also think this is a bit of an Irish thing. My oh and his family always panic if we're sitting out in the garden and there's a wasp around, they try and chase it away etc. I keep telling them to just relax and ignore it, it will leave if there's nothing interesting around. Wasps usually don't sting unless you provoke them.

One of them stung me eldest lad on his beer belly today. You wouldn't be taking the threat so lightly if you saw a grown man run around screaming like a little girl after the vicious attack. They are truly the cúnts of nature - that lad wouldn't harm a fly. I stamped on the wasp, it has to be said - it deserved to die. The gut like. How bad is that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Actually, forget wasps; why do people go mad about moths. We can all agree that wasps are vicious, stingy, malevolent SOBs, but moths? They don't even really have mouths FFS! Why are people so terrified of the butterflies of the night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Moths really are the devil incarnate. They want you to think they are harmless and then they get u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

miezekatze wrote: »

Hmm obviously you have very little experience of wasps. They are vicious, malevolent cnuts who deserve to die.
    They take being swatted away like a personal insult against three generations of their family and try their best to extricate revenge with their stingy arse.
    They need to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Festivals can be a trying experience with wasps, they love beer, Electric Picnic 2012 was pretty memorable for them, this guy picked up his pint near the main stage and there was about three wasps drowning in his pint of lager. Castle Palooza festival in 2008 was worse it was like living in a wasp kingdom.

Best decision I ever made was bringing a can of that wasp killing spray to Electric Picnic one year was such a joy to sit in the campsite and just spray any little baxtards that approached and watch them fall to the ground and die. hate wasps :mad: I am definitely one of those people who would crash their car if there was a wasp in it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I'm your worst enemy so.

When I see a wasp out of steam and cannot take-off, and of which is tired, I mix a half teaspoon of sugar with water into an egg-cup and mix it around well until it's watery liquid and pour it in front of the little feller so that it can drink and regain glucose and energy to fly off and sting some of you folk for being ungrateful against honey. I do the same with bees. A bit of watered sugar will get them flying again in around 10/15 minutes after drinking the stuff.

That's your free lesson for today. I should have charged you for it.

Wasps are poor pollinators as they lack the fuzzy hair of bees that pollen sticks to, nor do they produce honey, their nests are for rearing larvae only. I keep my kindness for the bees, wasps can fcuk off since one got me on the finger tip when I was trimming plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I got stung while I slept recently, three times. I woke up and needed to scratch my chest and felt the fecker there. It's an annoying itch you're left with, it doesn't really hurt at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Can't we do some kind of deal with the Seagulls hanging around?
    Gulls eats wasps =
    We sign over Nama flat top buildings to Gulls everyone wins.

or

How about we put a GPS collar on the queens so we can kill the nests every year? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Virgil°

As a kid I used to swell up badly when stung by wasps, not fatal or anything but it hurt like crazy and could be dangerous were I to be stung around the throat. I don't know if i still react badly to them as I haven't been stung in a while but I still remember the pain and threat.

Added to this my love of BBQ's and Ice-Cream which wasps would always zealously try to ruin.

But the one thing that bothered me more than wasps themselves was people who would constantly berate me for acting annoyed and nervous around wasps. The same people who would scream bloody murder at the sight of a harmless spider.

These people need to be killed. All of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Aggressive little bollixes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wasps weigh 1/10 gram. Their sting CAN hurt but flailing arms aroud wildly and screaming like a sissy seems a little disproportionate imho.

No their sting DOES hurt

If you get stung by a wasp and you're not reduced to a blubbering mess of tears and excrement then you haven't gotten stung by a wasp.

It was probably a ladybird or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

can't stand it when parents freak out with wasps around their kids and pass on the stupid fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Samaris wrote: »

As regards the colouration, we, (along with other predator species) do have a certain inbuilt recognition of natural warning signs in other species - red and black/yellow are amongst them.

Countries that have plate-sized venomous spiders cba worrying about wasps in comparison.
    wasps don't buzz to cause alarm, they buzz because their wings flap a gazillion times a second while they're hovering there looking for the most painful place to sting you multiple times

Akrasia wrote: »
    wasps don't buzz to cause alarm, they buzz because their wings flap a gazillion times a second while they're hovering there looking for the most painful place to sting you multiple times

cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Has to be said, I'm a huge fan of the small guard of spiders that live in my house keeping it wasp and fly free. Grinds my gears when my housemates want to kill them. Poor underappreciated fans of man are spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I posted this in a private forum about 5 years ago, I think it's a good time to dig it up.
    So I had a pretty crappy day in work and decided that I'd go for a run around the block at 6:30. Nice easy 5k run to clear the cobwebs.

Half way around something flew into my mouth and got stuck in my throat. A fly I assumed. After a couple of coughs I managed to spit him out and saw it was a wasp. I thought wow.. that was lucky. He didn't sting me. 20 seconds later my tongue started tingling, and a minute later it was friggin' sore. 10 minutes later and I had the sore throat from hell. Little bastard....

How unlucky do you have to be to swallow a ****ing wasp at the end of September (when they should all be dead), and then have the little PRICK sting you on the back of your bloody tongue?

Went to the chemist on the way home to get some anti-inflammatory oral spray. First pharmacist made that "O" shape with her mouth when I told her what happened. She went back to ask her colleague about a treatment, and she made the same "O" mouth.

"If you have an allergic reaction tonight and have trouble breathing, you'll have to go to the hospital for a steroid shot". That'd be just my luck.

They'll go home tonight - "How was your day?" - "Funny story, you'll never guess what happened to some poor bastard tonight...."

No doubt they'll make that "O" shape too.

Needless to say, I'm one of those people who flails like a lunatic whenever I see one of those little bastards. :)

Feck off, wasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Story in the papers today about a boy getting knocked down while running away from an 'angry' wasp. He had a sandwich in his hands which apparently angered the wasp.

Because males are no longer masculine. There was a time when men would kill wasp's with there bare hands and not run away like little girls. Men nowadays show there Masculinity my growing there perfectly groomed beards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

I havent read the whole thread but do they still fit into the food chain? In other words, if they all dissapeared tomorrow would it have serious implications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    I havent read the whole thread but do they still fit into hte food chain? In other words, if they all dissapeared tomorrow would it have serious implications?

People could enjoy sunshine in Ireland without fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    sunshine in Ireland

Im sorry, but whats that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Im sorry, but whats that?

The day the Leaving Cert starts. Once every 30 years, also the first day of school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I havent read the whole thread but do they still fit into hte food chain? In other words, if they all dissapeared tomorrow would it have serious implications?

They eat other insects for the most part, some species pollinate also so losing them would be quite detrimental.

• Advertisement
Advertisement