Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regrets in life

• 26-08-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭

What do you regret in your life.??

25 now and have a few regrets

Should of done better in secondary school
    Should of lived the college life more when I was there
    Never travelling
    Getting into a relationship when I wasn't ready
    Not seeing many girls
    Drinking too much
    Not playing hurling or any sport

I wonder does anyone have the perfect life ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Too few to mention...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

PTH2009 wrote: »

Never travelling
    Not seeing many girls
    Drinking too much

Unless you have a terminal illness or something terrible, then most of your list don't count as regrets to be fair. You're 25....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I fooking regret I am not 25.

Shake yourself up man, You got time to make plenty of mistakes (Thats actually a good thing so long as they are not too catastrophic)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think we only regret the things we don't do, because then you'd always wonder "what if?".

I take the attitude that I did what I wanted at the time & whether it worked out for the best in the end is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Never travelling
    Not seeing many girls
    Drinking too much

You are right to be full of regrets. At the age of 25 you are far too old to travel anywhere, you will be confined to a rocking chair by the fire. You can't meet any women again, they don't like you old wrinkly types with false teeth. As for sport, you might break your hips, so no sport from now on. And while you may have drank too much, it's too late to change now in those twilight years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I should of learnt the word have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd love to talk to someone who had died and ask them did you have the perfect life ??

There's 0% of that ever happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not keeping up rugby, gave up around 12.

Not joining the army instead of getting my current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I'm 25 and I'm travelling next year. I know too many of your type among people I know. Building up fake responsibilities i.e. renting, car, job. You can just give up all that stuff and go travelling if you want. You're at an age where you can post pone everything for the next few years and enjoy your youth. Grow up and act your age act 25 not someone much older. Grow a pair your life has only begun I know for me mine has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Had far from a perfect life but regrets are pointless IMO whats has passed has passed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

blinding wrote: »
    I fooking regret I am not 25.

Shake yourself up man, You got time to make plenty of mistakes (Thats actually a good thing so long as they are not too catastrophic)

Exactly! You're just a chisler, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Nobody has a perfect life. We've all got regrets. As a matter of fact I'm the queen of regretting. You are very young but you are also old enough to look back a few years and think about things that haven't turned out as you planned or hoped. The things I have regrets about can't be undone and I have to live with that for the rest of my life. You on the other hand are lucky that your regrets can be turned into positives if you try hard enough.

Just remember this is your life and only you can live it. Think about what you want to achieve and try your hardest to make it happen. It's not impossible to change anything on your list.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just focus on the present and future, 'you'll never change what's been and gone' as Oasis say. :pac:

You cant regret things. If you have had of done the things you regretted not doing , you dont know what type of life you would have now. You could be dead.
    The fact that you look back and think i would have done things differently is a positive thing that you are growing as a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I definitely regret starting smoking when I was 15 or 16, that was not smart.

Apart from that it's mostly just things I should have said in arguments that would have been way better than "Yeah? Well...just fcuk off!"

I definitely regret starting smoking when I was 15 or 16, that was not smart.
    "

Me too, actually now that you mention it. When I was 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

I got to play with a beagle with a wonky eye for most of today, got very well paid while doing so. If I hadn't of overdosed on ecstacy that time years ago that probably wouldn't have happened. Chaos theory, I think they call it? A butterfly flaps it's wings in Brazil and all that? Nah. Everything that's happened me, even all the horrific sh1t, probably facilitated something fun or interesting further down the line. If I'd never dropped out of college I'd have probably never met my girlfriend. No regrets, everything's just a different part of the story. You've just gotta let it play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Never travelling
    Not seeing many girls
    Drinking too much

Oh boy. If you those are regrets, you have a lot of growing up to do.

My only regret was that I never had a decent long chat with my dad. He died when I was in my early twenties and we never got to talk about life. I never told him how important he was to me and he never got to see any of his children married or with kids of their own. Apart from that: not a one.

• Advertisement

Oh boy. If you those are regrets, you have a lot of growing up to do.

My only regret was that I never had a decent long chat with my dad. He died when I was in my early twenties and we never got to talk about life. I never told him how important he was to me and he never got to see any of his children married or with kids of their own. Apart from that: not a one.
    My mother died in Jan 2014 and always loved kids and would loved to be a grandmother but never got to be. My sister was 7 months pregnant when my mother died and my other sister had a baby in Jan 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Would loved to have kept up a sport or activity. All there is at the moment is work and family. My hobbies are closely aligned with work - should have done a martial art or something like that.

I would have liked to have saved more money but Im getting there now.

Should have been a better friend to a certain group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It reminds me of the time Stephen Hendry was surprised by the 'This is Your Life' TV show. He said 'Are yis af yer heeds? Shure am oonlay eighteen yeers a age, ya mad basterds yis!' or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Never travelling
    Not seeing many girls
    Drinking too much

Well yes, you could have listened in English class, but still loads of time to improve there.
    College - not a regret, just a bit of the learning curve - now you are 'living the life', no?
    Travelling - what are you waiting for? Go now!
    Relationship - more learning curve - you are not married or responsible for a child are you? And if you are, don't regret it, accept it and get on with it.
    The girls are still there and honestly you are much more fanciable at 25! (unless previous statement applies)
    Cut waaaay back on the drinking
    Take up a sport.

Now, what regrets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

i`v had a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Should have done more driving lessons this summer :P Only did 1 haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

With my gran in hospital and shes in pallative care. Do I really know her? No. I regret that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I regret not trying at all for the leaving cert and not getting a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have a great future behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Not learning a proper trade when I was young.
    Instead, I wasted my youth and best years of my adult life in the Army.
    I regret every day of it now, but it was my own decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A man who hasn't made any mistakes hasn't lived.

I regret I wasn't old enough to drink at my confirmation lol. I went home early but my father tells me they had a rite oul sing song and when him and my uncle were walking home there was a thunderstorm

Sounds a bit weird but class at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

OP, you're 25 , You can do all of those things you regret !! seriously

Be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Truckloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It reminds me of the time Stephen Hendry was surprised by the 'This is Your Life' TV show. He said 'Are yis af yer heeds? Shure am oonlay eighteen yeers a age, ya mad basterds yis!' or something.
    I remember some X Factor winner's biography was out the day after he won. Honestly - it was in HMV/Easons on the Sunday; I remember it clearly, was starting my Christmas shopping.

Reminds me of The Simpsons when Bart was the "I Didn't Do It" Boy: http://imgur.com/r/TheSimpsons/RUDTccV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Pride Before Ignorance

Plenty of time to make up for it! Enjoy life, it is too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Not keeping up rugby, gave up around 12.

Not joining the army instead of getting my current job.

Mine is leaving my old job and joining the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I've made plenty of mistakes, and certainly managed to fcuk up even more frequently, but I try not to have any regrets. Life is too short, and I tend to think 'what will be, will be'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I regret my education and career choices that have left me without financial security in my 30s. I genuinely think I would have been better off skipping college and staying working in my summer job. Those who did at the time are far better off than me and in many cases were supported through a degree by the employer anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 omicron persei 8

Putting on weight and not staying in OZ and not doing better in school.

That's pretty much it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kaiser Sosay

A man who hasn't made any mistakes hasn't lived.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm not particularly friendly but I regret any attempts I made to be so - usually ended up getting fcuked over. I should have just been myself, looked after myself, been fair to people and expected the same in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Felt pretty similar to you at 25, OP...I thought I'd missed my chance for the travelling thing. Everyone I know that did it had already gone and come back or were gone and engaged or married. I ended up going alone and it worked out pretty good for me...though, I don't know if you could call it traveling since I moved over with a job already sorted and planned on living permanently.

Only real regrets I have in life is treating somebody I was in a relationship poorly.

I had more 'regrets' or desires a few years ago but have been steadily accomplishing what I wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Middle aged now...

I regret not travelling when I had the chance years ago, I decidee to play it safe, working away and studying at night.

Still all things considered, I have a great life, great wife and kid, good pals ....and there's still time for travel and adventure in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

No killer instinct with the birds. Got on really well with them but too shy to throw the head in. Let a lot of shags behind me as a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

mitresize5 wrote: »
    No killer instinct with the birds. Got on really well with them but too shy to throw the head in. Let a lot of shags behind me as a result

You should try hitting on girls instead, birds are small, feathery and not human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Late 30's, unemployed did some courses in Web and It, basic, should have chosen a course with a job at the end of it, even at my age now, I'll feel that's it, Im on the scrap heap.
    Totally lost don't see any hope in getting a job, I regret a lot. Depressed and anxious daily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Limsguaba

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Unless you have a terminal illness or something terrible, then most of your list don't count as regrets to be fair. You're 25....

He can't go back in time to when he was a teenager.

• Advertisement
Advertisement