Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you enjoy school?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

To all the gob****e teachers (hopefully all retired and dead) in Newcastle West Courtney Boys NS - corporal punishment was illegal in the 1980s. Didn't stop ye though.
    As for the derelict idiots in St. Ita's Secondary - you showed that it is possible to be vacant and dazed without the aid of weed. A credit to your profession(s) - which was mainly car repair, tax evasion consultancy, farming and local history. Anything in fact but teenage zookeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Up and down feelings on it.

My deepest regrets are not wiping the fcuk out of bullyish clowns I could have easily taken the feck out with ease but some how I held back because they had some kind of non properly earned tough guy reputation and I feared their following more than them. When I look back at it now these fools just needed to be put back in their box with 1 dose of 5 fingers between the nose. I feel school in general was ruined for some people by bullies who were probably getting abused to fcuk at home by a fcuked up father and needed to be wiped the feck out in school to see sense. My proudest moment was taking a bully chap out with one blow to the chest in 2nd year, I could have put him in hospital but stopped when he looked like he was going to pass out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Primary - no, I didn't enjoy it. No real reason why ... I wasn't miserable, I don't think I was ever bullied or anything. Every day just seemed like neverending repetitive tortuous boredom.

Secondary - much better. I liked knowing that I'd only X minutes left in each class (whereas in primary, you never knew how long a teacher was going to drone on in a particular subject.) I made good friends in secondary school, and it was fun looking forward to breaktime and lunchtime. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were loads of days when I dreaded going into secondary school too - but nothing compared to the constant monotony of primary school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Spending so much time with other teenagers led to me having a dislike of the human race as a whole, one thing which sticks in my head is two of the lead football players sitting with a jotter and were noting the good and bad points of two girls to decide who they would start dating.

Primary school was ok as I started there at 4 and it was in your home townland so it left like you were at home and you were there from such a young age you didn't know any different life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

the amount of people who hated school and couldnt make friends got bullied by every one etc etc

i guess afterhours really is where life's losers end up eh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

catch yourself on jeff, my sister was bullied for a while at secondary school and is a dr now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

mynamejeff wrote: »
    the amount of people who hated school and couldnt make friends got bullied by every one etc etc

i guess afterhours really is where life's losers end up eh
    Nah, funnily enough you'll find that all of the people who did the bullying ended up as life's losers, most came from ****ed up families or had learning difficulties that probably caused their behaviour and now they have some ****ty life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Twas alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It was a but of a doss....All fourteen years of it. But I did enjoy it. Am still friends with some of my classmates and loved the adventures you got up to as a school kid.
    Did not like the exams much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

School was great. It brought out my competitive streak, and pushed me to be my best.

I loved the simplicity of it. It was easy to be successful in school and popular... it's a bit more complicated out in the real world. But much of the stuff I learned about myself in school still helps me succeed now.

Genuinely think the school you go to can have a huge influence on the rest of your life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Primary- despised it, disinterested teachers and just a negative enough atmosphere in general

Secondary- Loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

Indifferent really. Primary was fine but Secondary just felt like prison. Then again at times I was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. When I left for college a year ago, the contrast was big. I look back now and just laugh at all the stuff the teachers would give out about. Sure there was always good craic with the lads (all boys school) but for me it just felt like a never ending prison sentence. I love college though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Loved primary school, went to a small village school. Fantastic teachers and I got on great with the other kids in the class.

Hated secondary school - worst five years of my life. It felt like a prison, I was bullied relentlessly. It destroyed my confidence for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

School is only a programming tool to prepare you for the work environment, conformity by numbers IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I loved primary school apart from the 4 eyes comments every now and then.

I hated secondary school in the earlier years. Myself and my friends were badly bullied by some nasty cows in our year. I dreaded going to school. TY and onwards was okay. I had more fun with my friends at lunchtime than anything else so I was glad to finish secondary school.

I'll be in school for the rest of my life though! I'm a primary school teacher now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cpt97

Not at all..only finished school a few years ago, social wise it was alright I never had too much of a problem making friends although it was only in my final 2 years that I found friends I really fit in with but I was never bullied or anything due to the confidence I liked to pretend I had and the toughness I also pretended I had.....
    It was just education wise and the actual school system that challenged me. Had no interest in any subjects I was studying apart from the anatomy side of biology other than that I feel like I wasted half my life because to this day I have not used any of the 20/30 difference poems drilled into me, have not used algebra nor have I rattled off the million of geography essays I was told to learn off by heart... The system p**sed me off immensely all that stress and rote learning for **** all, teachers often treated us like we were children even in 6th year which was not going to prepare us for college..all I enjoyed was the craic had with friends but I could've had that craic elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I was painfully quiet, fat, short, gay and a nerd in an all boys catholic rugby school
    So no, school wasnt quite what you'd call fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I just deleted the long detailed story I wrote earlier. I'll just say no, I didn't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No I hated it, was a quiet kid and everyday was a misery there due to being bullied.

Happiest day was was the day I left the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Hated it.
    Hated the uniform, hated having to get up early and force feed myself before taking a bus, crowded with other culchie ****, for 45mins to an all boys, sport-is-everything school.
    Don't get me wrong, I love certain sports but jaysus if you weren't a sh!t hot hurler or gaelic footballer then you were a nobody.
    Only females we saw were the auld one serving slop in the ref or for some bizarre reason our religion teachers, all incredibly hot...well, we thought so at the time, then again, maybe they were just hot coz they were the only things with breasts we saw for during those 6 hours of pain.

Putting kids in uniforms is a disgrace, separating kids into boys and girls schools is the f!ckin dumbest thing ever decided in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Of course some days were ridiculous boring, and I got into trouble a fair bit too, but I've only got fond memories of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

No I hated it, and just went through the motions of going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Nah, funnily enough you'll find that all of the people who did the bullying ended up as life's losers, most came from ****ed up families or had learning difficulties that probably caused their behaviour and now they have some ****ty life

Not all bullies are shams from broken homes.

And believe me, there are bullies in this life who end up having it all while their victims are left broken.

They are the type of dickheads who will approach you years later, being overly nice without directly referencing what they had done. They are ashamed, they just don't want to admit to it because it would be a chink in their armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Not all bullies are shams from broken homes.

And believe me, there are bullies in this life who end up having it all while their victims are left broken.
    Don't forget the bullies from families where the parents might have well paid jobs but leave little in the area of parental time. Mammy does'nt give her son his dinner, no she leaves a note "heat it in the microwave".
    Daddy has little time for bonding too, because he is a regional manager.
    So jonnie has few boundaries.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hated it from start to finish. It was an unmitigated disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

I went to a CBS in Bristol and hated every fvcking second of it.

Would love to meet some of the trouser minnows who dished out the abuse.If you think this is a negative perspective,perhaps you weren't punched down a flight of stone stairs by a psycho c*cksucker in a gown!

Or maybe you got by,good luck I say,just take off the rose tinted specs.
    Anyway fvck them,times have thankfully changed and 'teachers' can no longer batter at will in the name of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Went through the motions as another poster said. Looking back it should have been a lot better. My class sizes were way too big and apart from one or two exceptions, most of my teachers were very average.

I agree about bullies too. Some turn out to be very successful people in adulthood.

Advertisement