Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waving at someone when they let you merge - Do you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm from Donegal.

We wave at everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I always wave. I thank bus drivers, taxi drivers, couriers and people who hold doors open I even hello to strangers the street.

It's called manners.

Thankfully this is the norm in Ireland, we may be a shower of begrudgers but at least most of us are polite.

I don't get worked up about the odd person who doesn't wave, I just take a mental note that they're an ignorant pr1ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Cities and towns, you'll get a wave hopefully. Country roads you might get a nod, or the farmer's wave (baby or index finger off the steering wheel) :)

Another thing that makes Irish people unique, or crazy...pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Polymorpheus

I'd give a little wave, smile etc. Nice to be nice.

• Advertisement

As a purely selfish look at the topic, a wave of thanks is positive reinforcement, encouraging the driver to repeat their behaviour.

If everyone left one vehicle merge, acknowledged getting an opportunity to merge, and stayed out of the yellow boxes, the roads would be more pleasant and safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I don't wave but I do acknowledge them with a nonchalant nod of the head. :cool:
    Only donkeys nod ;)

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I think it's silly and unnecessary. If you want to let someone off etc just do it and don't moan about them not giving a little wave. And the hazards really annoying me, that's not what they're for.

Guess who'll be left waiting at the junction until all the cars have passed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theexamanyotta

entropi wrote: »
    Cities and towns, you'll get a wave hopefully. Country roads you might get a nod, or the farmer's wave (baby or index finger off the steering wheel) :)

Another thing that makes Irish people unique, or crazy...pick one.

When I am driving on country roads and through small villages sometimes for the craic I like to wave at the people in other cars I pass. The auld one finger wave. Lots of people wave back. :)

I will always thank people on the road if they let me out or help me in any other way. I think it's rude not to and would get a bit annoyed when people don't thank me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

When I am driving on country roads and through small villages sometimes for the craic I like to wave at the people in other cars I pass. The auld one finger wave. Lots of people wave back. :)

I will always thank people on the road if they let me out or help me in any other way. I think it's rude not to and would get a bit annoyed when people don't thank me.

Yeah that is random stranger waving. It's normal to wave at peole you do not know from Adam in the country. You should do it to city people it would be more confusing for them and amusing for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Alternatively, some people like to make use of the car horn to signal their appreciation , which is also illegal but I suppose like waving thanks or briefly using the hazard lights it is done with discretion and highly unlikely to cause other drivers to veer out of control becauuse they are so confused by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

So, just fire in a sexist generalisation in a discussion that has nothing to do with gender issues.

And, further, it's just not true.

Sorry, but it absolutely is true based on my experience over the years.

Women are far less likely to let you out.

My wife was only saying the other day that it's gas (as two women didn't let me out and then a guy did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Guess who'll be left waiting at the junction until all the cars have passed :D

...because the drivers I'd come across are the same bunch and they'd remember me for not saluting? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I give complete strangers the one raised index finger while hand is on the wheel on country roads, of course I wave. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

A bit of acknowledgement always goes a long way. I always wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Yes, of course I do.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    ...because the drivers I'd come across are the same bunch and they'd remember me for not saluting? :confused:

It was a joke ;) you seem to be a very serious individual :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I usually take note of their registration number and track them down to hand-deliver flowers as a way of saying thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

women never let you out:D

By and large, true
    So, just fire in a sexist generalisation in a discussion that has nothing to do with gender issues.

And, further, it's just not true.

In my experience, for the most part, it is, isn't sexist, just accurate, from my experience anyway. On the other hand, its mostly guys that will try underpass/overtake you where you're already ahead and the lane merges into one lane, mostly. In any case, someone thats behind the level of another vehicle should merge behind that vehicle.

When Ive let a woman merge, I dont think Ive ever been acknowledged for it. I dont expect it, but Ive noticed.
    If everyone left one vehicle merge, acknowledged getting an opportunity to merge, and stayed out of the yellow boxes, the roads would be more pleasant and safer.

Isnt there a zipper rule somewhere? germany?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Well I'm grateful that they've let me 'merge' with them, but waving during/after sex is a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I drive a van with the logo splashed across the front and we deal with a lot of haulage firms - driving up the N7 is often gas as I'll meet loads of truckers that know us and flash the lights/wave/beep. Driving around where I live is also a wave-fest as not waving is considered stuck-up and rude, so, you wave. And if someone doesn't wave back, they get the finger - hidden down under the door though, cos maybe they are having an off day and you'll be chatting them tomorrow and they may be huffy over getting given the middle-digit wave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭asteroth

I was on another website earlier and discovered that for a lot people outside of Ireland the idea of waving at other drivers, or even expecting a wave, when you merge is all a bit stupid and nothing but an ego trip for all involved.

As far as I'm concerned, if some chap stops to let me merge in front of him, I always make sure to give him or her a quick wave or a toot of the horn as a way to say cheers. Sometimes I'll even flick on the hazards lorry-driver style if I was busy changing gear or whatnot on the way out. Either way, I always try to acknowledge when someone does their bit to keep the traffic moving.

So, Boards, do you do the same? Or do you consider all this waving and "Thank You" craic to be another one of societies pointless social norms?

These are the same pricks who when you hold a door for them they just saunter on through and don't acknowledge you are even there. I usually say "you're welcome, wanker!" and then leave a big gullier on their back.

asteroth wrote: »
    These are the same pricks who when you hold a door for them they just saunter on through and don't acknowledge you are even there. I usually say "you're welcome, wanker!" and then leave a big gullier on their back.

Thought that was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Always let cars out ...... don't know if they are male or female , respect and returning favours other drivers give you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I drive a Merc so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

in my experience, a noticeably higher percentage of women don't let you out AND don't give a wave when you let them out. i've no idea why.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I always give a wave and would expect a wave when I let someone out. People budging the nose of their car out in oncoming traffic as some sort of signal for me to let them out annoys me to no end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know if it has been mentioned before, but you know those people who simply cut in front of you, and then wave at you, or flash the hazard lights, as if to pretend that you had actually let them merge?

F**k those people.

osarusan wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned before, but you know those people who simply cut in front of you, and then wave at you, or flash the hazard lights, as if to pretend that you had actually let them merge?

F**k those people.

Yeah, sorry bout that.:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

osarusan wrote: »

F**k those people.

Yeah this is the people I was talking about just above you. Wrecks my head.

Advertisement