Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime time tonight.

• 27-03-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Do not know where to put this thread, looking at Prime Time tonight is truly disturbing, free cars for the top cats, as Callinan said Digusting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Can cats drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Put it in the recycle bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Do not know where to put this thread, looking at Prime Time tonight is truly disturbing, free cars for the top cats, as Callinan said Digusting.

It is absolutely disgusting.

Management have the effective private use of rapid response cars. You and I are paying for those cars, you and I are paying for fuel for private use, and these cars are not fulfilling their intended purpose.

Simply outrageous. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Made for sad viewing, is there anything in this country that works/runs efficiently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

TV forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Hear what yer man said at the very end? "We have the best ambulance service in the world..."

HAH! I laugh at the stupidity of that statement, clearly he needs to take his head out of his arse and cop on to the state of the service he is paid to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

TV forum

What a pointless and lazy comment.

This is a matter of national interest that happened to be aired on a Television program.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

I was disgusted by this. And yer man with his 'best service in the world'? Get a grip fella. Name and shame. There is most probably a union involved too, for
    Protection...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Hear what yer man said at the very end? "We have the best ambulance service in the world..."

HAH! I laugh at the stupidity of that statement, clearly he needs to take his head out of his arse and cop on to the state of the service he is paid to run.

Even Alan shatter couldn't have held a straight face coming out with that line!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

He mentioned, they had the best clothes also. What that has got to do with saving peoples lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

NIMAN wrote: »
    Made for sad viewing, is there anything in this country that works/runs efficiently?

Revenue. It's about the only thing that does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Why did he say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Singer73 wrote: »
    I was disgusted by this. And yer man with his 'best service in the world'? Get a grip fella. Name and shame. There is most probably a union involved too, for
    Protection...

That bloody idiot boiled my blood saying they have the best uniforms money can buy. What a twat, probably overpaid twat at that.

keith16 wrote: »

This is a matter of national interest that happened to be aired on a Television program.
    It's not so much 'pointless and lazy' as it is past the point of caring Keith. Ambulance service in this country has been in a terrible mess for years, fcuk all was done about it when the country was booming, no chance of anything being done about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

He mentioned, they had the best clothes also. What that has got to do with saving peoples lives.

All style, no substance. I'd rather they turned up in overalls within 15 minutes than shaped in looking sharp after 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

his whole demeanor was confrontational.. like a mini callinan... having the best cars, uniforms and people is worth **** all if they are not used properly.
    ambulances sitting in people's drive ways while they are needed... now thats truly disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Question is are they getting free petrol or diesel to boot?

Question is are they getting free petrol or diesel to boot?

They are as she stated in her report, credit card that can be used anywhere in the country. Little perk for the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

keith16 wrote: »

Yeah and starting a thread on here will help the situation..seething in your jim jams on the couch is as much use as the comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

What was shown tonight is a scandal of the highest order.......management types using highly equipped rapid response cars as their own personal transport and rendering them unavailable for what they were intended to be used for. And as for that smarmy glib head of the service? ...........GRRRRRRR:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

boardie100 wrote: »
    his whole demeanor was confrontational.. like a mini callinan... having the best cars, uniforms and people is worth **** all if they are not used properly.
    ambulances sitting in people's drive ways while they are needed... not thats truly disgusting

Yes he wasn't doing himself any favours with his stinking attitude, that pissed me well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Specialun wrote: »
    Yeah and starting a thread on here will help the situation..seething in your jim jams on the couch is as much use as the comment

that comment was just as pointless..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

Hotels are also paid for. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Said this before on other threads and have been attacked by various vested interests for it, WE LIVE IN A BANANA REPUBLIC..:mad:

This widespread abuse of power/cronyism/nod and wink/old boys club is rampant on this island. The common denominator can nearly always be narrowed down to a minority at the top. It's commonplace in every department,be it health,finance,environment or indeed any which you wish to choose.
    After watching tonights Prime Time, the individual that masquerades as a health minister should resign or be forcibly removed from office tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

a lot of the reporting on ambulance coverage does'nt really make sense, if you live out in the under populated arse end of nowhere then you're not going to get an ambulance out to you within 20 minutes

washman3 wrote: »
    Said this before on other threads and have been attacked by various vested interests for it, WE LIVE IN A BANANA REPUBLIC..:mad:

This widespread abuse of power/cronyism/nod and wink/old boys club is rampant on this island. The common denominator can nearly always be narrowed down to a minority at the top. It's commonplace in every department,be it health,finance,environment or indeed any which you wish to choose.
    After watching tonights Prime Time, the individual that masquerades as a health minister should resign or be forcibly removed from office tomorrow morning.

But who's going to forcibly remove him? The way to solve many of these issues is to protest vigorously, which unfortunately Irish people don't seem to do enough of. There can only be real change when the majority of the people demand it and don't take no for an answer. Unfortunately this is easier said than done.

Bambi wrote: »
    a lot of the reporting on ambulance coverage does'nt really make sense, if you live out in the under populated arse end of nowhere then you're not going to get an ambulance out to you within 20 minutes
    I live less than ten minutes from an ambulance station. There's ambulance cover there 144 hours a week (168 hours in a week remember) BUT this is provided by two crews and the hours frequently overlap.

So if I have a heart attack now I might be seen to within 15 minutes. If I have one after midnight you could be talking an hour and a half. That's not right.

Just asking, did you see the program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

boardie100 wrote: »
    ambulances sitting in people's drive ways while they are needed... now thats truly disgusting
    mikehunts wrote: »
    Yes he wasn't doing himself any favours with his stinking attitude, that pissed me well off.

Agree with all the above, this guy Martin Dunne spoke wayyy too much for my liking, seemed way out of his depth, had he had some tough questions put to him he'd have cracked altogether.

He sounded like an arrogant son of a gun :mad:

• Advertisement

Did you not see the bit about Wexford town? How all available ambulances were out in the middle of nowhere in the county when a call came in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just asking, did you see the program.

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Revenue commissoners are pretty efficient. Go figure :pac:

Where did anyone mention anything about getting an ambulance to 'the arse end of nowhere' in 20 mins. Few can expect this and its not an issue. Maybe you didn't see PrimeTime tonight.
    F.Y.I a politican will have no problem visiting 'the arse end of nowhere' looking for votes at election time.

8evady5u.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Can't find the words to express the rage I felt seeing injured people deprived of emergency medical assistance by the very service they are funding with their tax. Its an outrage to see what appears to be the misappropriation of these vehicles for personal use of staff instead of their proper purpose. They should be available 24/7 to respond to accidents/emergencies. Someone needs to investigate this scandal and take charge and sort out these practices. Until that "service" is overhauled and a competent person put in charge the public as usual continue paying the price. This waste of our scarce resource cannot be allowed to continue.

• Advertisement

What county is Martin Dunne from anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The thing that shocked me most is the disparity between stats here and in the UK... considering how much smaller we are.

75% of ambulances in the UK, responding to call-outs involving life threatening ailments or injuries, arrive within 18 minutes... as opposed to 30% here. Did I mishear that?

The thing that shocked me most is the disparity between stats here and in the UK... considering how much smaller we are.

75% of ambulances in the UK arrive to call-outs within 18 minutes... as opposed to 30% here. Did I mishear that?

No you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I live less than ten minutes from an ambulance station. There's ambulance cover there 144 hours a week (168 hours in a week remember) BUT this is provided by two crews and the hours frequently overlap.

So if I have a heart attack now I might be seen to within 15 minutes. If I have one after midnight you could be talking an hour and a half. That's not right.

The ambulance service provided by the HSE is mostly a 9 to 5, Monday to Friday operation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

So long as people don't lose their jobs when wrong has been done then nothing can really change. People aren't held to account in Ireland like they are in serious countries. If people can't be disciplined up to and including sackings then there is no incentive to do things right.

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    So long as people don't lose their jobs when wrong has been done then nothing can really change. People aren't held to account in Ireland like they are in serious countries. If people can't be disciplined up to and including sackings then there is no incentive to do things right.

Unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

woodoo wrote: »

Think you will find its pretty much the same the world over, the only ever victim in anything like this is the scapegoat.

quangos must live forever or be renamed into tribunals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

One comparison that struck me as well was that the service to the islands off the west coast of Scotland was better than what we get in some regions here. It is an indictment of those who run our ambulance service and more generally, the department of health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sorry folks missed tonights programme, so basically these rapid response ambulances are been used for personal use by staff when there off duty?? Surely this cant be true???

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fingal raven

People interested in this issue should have a look at the Emergency Services forum, where there is a thread on the ambulance service in Dublin. There is a move to transfer the city's ambulance service from the Fire Brigade to the NAS. DFB have provided an excellent service to the city for over 100 years and now there is a move to have it transferred to the NAS. It is important for the people of Dublin to make sure that this does not happen. For those living outside Dublin you should put pressure on local TDs to look into FIRE/EMS service country wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

75% of ambulances in the UK, responding to call-outs involving life threatening ailments or injuries, arrive within 18 minutes... as opposed to 30% here. Did I mishear that?

Yep, The HSE can't even come close to response times achieved in the scottish isles, and they want to take the ambulance service in Dublin provided by the Dublin Fire Brigade ffs.
    Unions.

I'm not sure if that's a justifiably directed comment. I'd imagine most of the mangers with the 100,000 Euro rapid response vehicles parked up outside their houses are not in the 'unions'. And I'd guess Martin Dunne, who thinks he's providing the 'best ambulance service in the world' isn't either!

Carlow town has several vehicles but only one crew available after hours and they often have to provide cover for Kilkenny if the ambulance there is required to go to Dublin or Waterford, Kilkenny also covers for Carlow.

Often if someone in Carlow needs an ambulance and the single ambulance os on a call it will be the Kilkenny or even Waterford ambulance that attends because the HSE won't allow a second "on-call" crew to be mobilised from Carlow because of the extra overtime cost of the "on-call" crew!

People in Carlow have been left up to and over 60 minutes waiting for ambulances!

Just as you mention it, I gave up reading the Emergency Services Forum many moons ago. It had become infested with back-slapping clowns that live in a cocoon and totally swamped in their own egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Sorry folks missed tonights programme, so basically these rapid response ambulances are been used for personal use by staff when there off duty?? Surely this cant be true???

Yep. They are being used by some personnel to travel to and from work. One was used to travel from Dublin (place of work) to Donegal where it was left out of service at weekends and for 2 weeks over christmas.

Another (maybe the same one?) was taken across the border to Derry from where it would have been unable to reach an emergency anywhere in the Republic within the reccommended times.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Not just any staff though but managers who use them for driving to and from work which can be 100+ miles each way, and all with diesel paid for by the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement