Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best city : Vienna, Zurich or munich

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Vienna, absolutely amazing place!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That means nothing to me.

Oh, Vienna
    zweton wrote: »
    looking like munich could win this one :)

Isn't it enough they fecking will win the champions league, bundesliga. :mad:
    Cienciano wrote: »
    What's the first 2 things you think of when someone says one of the cities:

Nazis for two of the listed cities. :o
    Ah come on admit it, some of you older folk must be thinking it.
    It was a joke. I don't drink. Get a sense of humour.

Even worse you don't drink and you make out you do.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Vienna

Zurich is deathly boring and the locals are zero craic.

Austrians are more fun and open than the Swiss in my experience. You can get a boat up to Bratislava....too, err, i dunnno watch Ice hockey. Seriously hot women live there if that's a draw.

Munich, I dunno, Vienna is more pleasing on the eye. Lots of Munich was levelled during the war. You can visit from Vienna !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I am pie wrote: »
    Vienna

Zurich is deathly boring and the locals are zero craic.

Austrians are more fun and open than the Swiss in my experience. You can get a boat up to Bratislava....too, err, i dunnno watch Ice hockey. Seriously hot women live there if that's a draw.

Munich, I dunno, Vienna is more pleasing on the eye. Lots of Munich was levelled during the war. You can visit from Vienna !

I am also a pie :D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Vienna is my favourite city in Europe, simply stunning. I have been many times and will continue to visit.

I live in Zurich for 5 months now and don't listen to people who say it's boring. It has a large international community and a diverse cultural offering. It also knows how to party, especially if you're in to electronic music. Bear in mind that it is a very expensive place to live.

Never been to Munich so can't comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ive been to a tot of German cities but not Munich funnily enough. I have been to Vienna and its stunning. Its also the location for my favorite film.

I found the Germans in the main very friendly. Austrians in Vienna were businesslike but not unfriendly. Kind of preferred the Germans.

People were mentioning Reykjavik - nice place for a day or two before you head off into the wilds of Iceland for two weeks. And Iceland really is unique in Europe if not the world. Not sure if I would live there though. I wouldn't mind giving it a go for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Pang wrote: »
    Vienna, absolutely amazing place!

why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

why so?

Great coffee shops, fabulous architecture and history and I always feel quite safe waking around and doing various activities in the city. Crime levels appear to be quite low.

Oh and public transport is extremely efficient and punctual.

ah, i was hoping you would say the nightlife was rocking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Munich. Vienna is beautiful but Munich is by far and away the better city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities i have lived in and i found the locals loved the irish accent and you should def go to Innsbruck and Salzburg aswell. In Germany, Dortmund was fabulous but Berlin took my breath away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I've never been to Zurich but any Swiss I have met have been aloof and were very arrogant.

Munich was a great place to visit but if I had a choice I would choose to live in Vienna. I've been a couple of times and find it a very easy city to get around. The Austrians can be hard to get to know but are lovely once you get past their initial standoffness.

ah damn now i think i need to add berlin to the list:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ah damn now i think i need to add berlin to the list:D

Do. Berlin has it all.

would it be easy to get an english speaking job in berlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

from what I've read it's doing absolutely terribly from an economic point of view, I look forward to reading to whether you actually get a job or not though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Vienna has an unfair rep for a shît nightlife, granted it's not Berlin.
    There are always places to drink and party through the night, a lot of underground clubs / venues, great irish expat community here ( a lot of party heads / house parties )

You need to know where to look.

Been here a few years now, it's great, and at the end of my street the signposts are for Bratislava , Prague, Budapest and Ljubljana for when you're bored and fancy a complete change of nightlife for a tenner bus ticket.

still cant decide on either munich or vienna:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Easy. Just ask Enda

still cant decide on either munich or vienna:D

Would the availability of suitable employment not be a factor? Do you intend to just arrive and start looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

MadsL wrote: »
    Reykjavik - terrible place to work unless you like fish guts. Great place to party. Outside genes are very welcome so expect attention.

Ive been to all those places except Zurich (and Tokyo) and it has to be Vienna. Although its slightly colored by the fact that my favourite film is The Third Man. They have excellent Beer in Vienna (not so sure about the food though). As for football - a true football fan goes to their local club so it doesn't matter where you are based ( Cork city fan here). Rapid Vienna and Austria Vienna are two very famous teams and supplied numerous players to the Austrian pre-war team which was is one of the great European national teams of all times.

Vienna is one of the European capitals.

Ive been to all those places except Zurich (and Tokyo) and it has to be Vienna. Although its slightly colored by the fact that my favourite film is The Third Man. They have excellent Beer in Vienna (not so sure about the food though). As for football - a true football fan goes to their local club so it doesn't matter where you are based ( Cork city fan here). Rapid Vienna and Austria Vienna are two very famous teams and supplied numerous players to the Austrian pre-war team which was is one of the great European national teams of all times.

Vienna is one of the European capitals.

The food in Vienna would be my big worry. Pure stodge. But most of Mittel Europe is like that.

ya i heard the food is not great there.

Advertisement