Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best city : Vienna, Zurich or munich

Options
  • 19-02-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

To anyone who has been i guess! Which one is the better city to live in/move to :) I'm leaning on vienna atm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Zurich, great insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Southern Germans are so nice and the beer is incredible. They have a rich culture and even their own completely unique dialect of German. Austrians and Swiss Germans are known to be quite cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

zweton wrote: »
    I'm leaning on vienna atm.

Great Boys' Choir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I don't know Zurich, but to me Vienna has much more flair than Munich...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

To anyone who has been i guess! Which one is the better city to live in/move to :) I'm leaning on vienna atm

That means nothing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Munich by a country mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Zurich is an awesome city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

München. The Swiss are a bit boring. I know that's a generalisation and usually something the Austrians do but..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

hfallada wrote: »
    Austrians and Swiss Germans are known to be quite cold.
    Fcukin freezing at this time of year id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hfallada wrote: »
    Austrians and Swiss Germans are known to be quite cold.

Bollox.. I watched a thing with Duncan Stewart the other week and they have great heating systems in Vienna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Zürich. Everything works properly, they pay well and if you do get bored you'll have more than enough money to visit to Vienna or Munich (direct train/air links) and a Swiss Ausländerausweis so that you can claim your tax back on the way home.
    On the other hand, the first month when you haven't gotten paid yet will be the longest of your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

A lot of factors to consider. All are efficient, people friendly, cultured and prosperous. Less hassle moving to an EU country than Switzerland so that would have me lean towards Vienna or Munich. Bavaria has an independent streak that can be fun but can look like arrogance at times. Vienna is great for culture, architecture and history but there's a dark side to that too.
    Bit of a toss up I'd say. Would come down to career opportunities, lifestyle or personal circumstances.
    But anyone I know who lives in Vienna likes it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Have lived in Vienna myself for a while and I have to say, it is dullest place I have ever been. Beautiful city, dull people, dull nightlife. Sorry to offend if I did, but it's the truth.

Dear God, the thoughts of going back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The Swiss aren't letting Fordiners in anymore after a recent referendum. Munich is good for the beer gardens but it's pretty boring apart from that. I have some family in Austria and they're all lovely and a nice bunch, I'd go with Oesterreich if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Vienna, apparently.

That opera house looks a barrel of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Munich ......... Zurich ......... Vienna. The last two being expensive as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

It's a toss up between Munich & Vienna. Zurich's very expensive also the Swiss are about to tighten immigration rules on EU nationals after the recent vote.

Munich for its proximity to the Alps and the friendly locals, Vienna for the culture & history also Budapest & Bratislava are only a train ride away.

If it's value for money you're after then maybe go for Vienna as Munich is Germany's most expensive city but Austria as a whole is more expensive than Germany so the two cities are probably not much different.

It's up to you and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Best city : Vienna, Zurich or munich

To anyone who has been i guess! Which one is the better city to live in/move to :) I'm leaning on vienna atm.

OP, a question.
    Are you black, and do you like to buy expensive handbags?

D_D wrote: »
    Have lived in Vienna myself for a while and I have to say, it is dullest place I have ever been. Beautiful city, dull people, dull nightlife. Sorry to offend if I did, but it's the truth.

Dear God, the thoughts of going back.

Was there twice and couldn't agree more. Lovely looking city, but bloody hell, it's dull.
    As for Zurich, google it and the first result is Zurich: Pensions, Insurance, Investment. Obviously the insurance company, but it sums up the place. Boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I did not like Zurich at all, only city I've ever visited and thought, I'd rather not come back here.

Just my experience though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

looking like munich could win this one :)

What's the first 2 things you think of when someone says one of the cities:
    Vienna: Opera and Mozart
    Zurich: Insurance and banking
    Munich: Beer and football

Hmmm, tough choice there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I've lived in or just next to all 3 only a few months in each mind and my favourite was definetly Munich. Lots of lakes for swimming and beautiful forests, some great villages nearby. I had one of the best summers of my life there :) The locals are well fit and very friendly as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

On second thoughts I nearly drowned in a lake near Munich and had a gun pulled on me in Vienna so maybe Zurich wasn't so bad after all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cienciano wrote: »
    What's the first 2 things you think of when someone says one of the cities:
    Vienna: Opera and Mozart
    Zurich: Insurance and banking
    Munich: Beer and football

Hmmm, tough choice there :pac:

You could go for Dortmund then, the beer is of a much better value and taste, and the people are not so snobbish ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    You could go for Dortmund then, the beer is of a much better value and taste, and the people are not so snobbish ;)

I'd agree, north west germany is real germany. But it's not an option in the 3 cities in the OP. Bremen is currently my favourite german city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

How about Roscommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Berlin knocks 'em all for six.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd agree, north west germany is real germany. But it's not an option in the 3 cities in the OP. Bremen is currently my favourite german city

In that case, it's Zurich for me. Their airport is priceless, they have subway train, with yodeling girls and those bells, cows have around their necks, over the loudspeakers :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

It has to be Vienna, they make lovely ice cream.

Advertisement