Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweeping New Lined Flue.

• 20-06-2012 5:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As above, got an insert stove installed last year. 5 inch flue liner. Time to get it swept.

Have, for the last 10 years swept my own flues prior to new stove when I had open fires ie larger 7 inch I reckon. Have rods and brush.

Just have to get a new 5 inch brush is that all?
    Brush as normal? Is there a need for a softer brush or anything for a lined flue? Anything I should look out for?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Planet X wrote: »
    As above, got an insert stove installed last year. 5 inch flue liner. Time to get it swept.

Have, for the last 10 years swept my own flues prior to new stove when I had open fires ie larger 7 inch I reckon. Have rods and brush.

Just have to get a new 5 inch brush is that all?
    Brush as normal? Is there a need for a softer brush or anything for a lined flue? Anything I should look out for?

Cheers.

Yep a 5 inch nylon brush:) take one rod with you to make sure it fits. No metal just the plastic nylon. Brush as normal but just be gentle, if it snags pull down a bit and then push up again. I sweep my chimney liner twice. Sweep it once and then sweep again.
    Do not twist, just push and pull like a normal chimney. When you feel no resistance have a look outside to see if the brush is sticking out the chimney pot. If you have a cowel stop when there is resistance:)

Stove Fan:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Any hardware store?
    Woodies for eg.?

Had a "feel" earlier on...... flue liner seems to be smooth on the inside. Ribbed on the outside from memory of seeing it. Correct? Smooth inside? Would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Planet X wrote: »
    Any hardware store?
    Woodies for eg.?

Had a "feel" earlier on...... flue liner seems to be smooth on the inside. Ribbed on the outside from memory of seeing it. Correct? Smooth inside? Would make sense.

It really depends on the make of the liner but smooth inside sounds good:D

On a liner I fitted it was slightly ribbed.

I would try any of your nearest hardware/builders supply type places. I bought my set at a builders merchant.

Stove Fan:)

Advertisement