Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

overflow from attic tank.

• 21-06-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi all

I have a problem with my attic tank overflowing randomly at odd times. it is a bigger problem when the heating is on. The house is a new build 07 terraced in an estate. is it a problem with the ball cock.
    Any help appreciated
    Regards
    BR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Spray some WD 40 on the ballcock arm end that connects to the water inlet valve, so that it moves up and down freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

cheers kris il try that straight away,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The ballcock may be badly adjusted. If there is no more adjustment available, you could bend its arm slightly downwards and it should close off the inlet a bit sooner.

ive just been up with the wd. the water seems to be up very high, approx half an inch from the outlet. I wonder is it overflow from the heating that is causing / adding to the problem?
    Thanks for replies lads
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Is the ball-cock itself leaking / filled with water? Is there an over-flow pipe on the tank itself leading out from the roof-space?

• Advertisement

hi mat

I checked the ballcock and it is full of water , i screwed it off and no water would come out, i didn't fully understand what you said about the outlet pipe,

There is an outlet pipe flowing fine when needed.

my thinking now is

The overflow is fine now, but when the heating sends excess water back into the tank it puts pressusre on the already full ballcock and keeps it down too long, it then gives a small but steady flow till the ballcock is able to 'barely' float again...

Does that sound right?

also will i need a new ball cock or is there a way to salvage the old one with a clever piercing on the top somewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

also will i need a new ball cock ...
    yes you can buy the ball as an individual part and this sounds like it will resolve the issue for you.

cheers mat will do. thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It sounds like the non-return valve on the heating system is faulty and is allowing the water to expand back up into the f&e tank (if it's a sealed system, I hope it has it's own tank and is not off the main storage tank).

If it's this type of system the feed will be half inch dropping into the hot press and connecting to the heating system. It should have an isolating valve and after that a brass cylindrical fitting with a nut either side of it. They fail a lot and either stick in the open or the closed position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement