Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lame dog - no exercise

Options
  • 15-07-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

How do you tire a dog out without exercise? We had Lexi at the vet on Monday as she hurt her leg over the weekend and was lame and walking funny. Vet couldn’t pinpoint it to one joint/leg so she is on painkillers & bedrest for a week. She is gone crazy without exercise and when I get home from work run rings around the garden which is doing more harm than a walk on lead I’d say. She has destroyed her bed, Ozzies is on the way out and two pairs of shoes that we were silly enough to leave in the kitchen.

Rang the vet yesterday and she said short on lead walks are fine but not to overdo it. So how do I tire her out until she is better? Hoping there is nothing further that needs doing as vet mentioned xrays if she hadn’t improved. I have reduced her food and done a lot of training in the evenings but anything else? Bringing her back to vet on Monday.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

Maybe some mind games?

Hide and seek is a good one, our guys love it and they get really into it.
    Or teach a new trick? Lots of concentration learning a new trick or comamd can be very tiring for them. Provide lots of chew toys - frozen stuffed kongs tire them out.
    Basically, think mental workout rather than physical.

Hope Lexi is feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Ah poor girl i hope she feeling better soon. Just bumped up post about keeping them amused but quiet theres some good ideas on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Been there, done that Tilly and I should write a book lol! :D We did LOADS of training with our clicker - sit, stay, wait. which hand, touch and also tricks - I got a really good Mary Ray book on Amazon with some funny tricks like waving and did that with him. I fed him his meals in kongs too.

EDIT - this is the book. TBH I was buying something on Amazon and I got it to bump the order up and get my free super saver shipping - the amount of books and odds and ends I've aquired from doing it lol!! :Dhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Tricks-Teach-Hamlyn-Colour/dp/0600618277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310726439&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

piperh wrote: »
    Ah poor girl i hope she feeling better soon. Just bumped up post about keeping them amused but quiet theres some good ideas on it.

Thank you, I hadnt even seen that before :rolleyes:
    tk123 wrote: »
    We did LOADS of training with our clicker - sit, stay, wait. which hand, touch and also tricks - I got a really good Mary Ray book on Amazon with some funny tricks like waving and did that with him. I fed him his meals in kongs too.

You should write a book! Thanks for that I have ordered the book and bought a clicker/whistle in the vets when Tilly was in for her vaccinations on Saturday. Going to do a good while training this evening once she wakes up, four dogs flaked out on the couch!
    ohmfg wrote: »
    Or teach a new trick? Provide lots of chew toys - frozen stuffed kongs tire them out.

Yes she isnt very well trained yet so will try that thanks. I have given her filled kongs before and she loves them but has even the frozens ones gone in 10 minutes. Also dont want any fighting over food while I am gone.

Back to the vet tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Advertisement