Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bindweed

Options
  • 27-06-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm new to gardening, and while I wouldnt call myself an avid gardener I'm beginning to get an interest.

Anyway....my problem, I finally got a name to a weed that is covering my garden, as you can see from the title its bindweed. And from what I have read this is pretty much a never ending battle.

I bought my house recently, and it seems the previous owners have covered the ground in some sort of covering, which is then covered in bark. Looks nice, but as I tried to clear some of the bindweed i noticed that the roots are actually under the cover in the soil.

Any suggestions on a way of attacking this weed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bindweed will grow from a tiny bit of root left in the ground, so there is no point pulling it up. There is no one-off solution, but I find the best way to deal with it is to carefully pull swathes of it off the plants etc it is growing on, without distrubing the roots. When you have a good bundle, pile it in a patch of clear earth, or get a 2 litre milk carton or drink bottle, cut off the top and loosely push the bundle into the container- leave the container on its side so it doesn't get full of rainwater.

Then spray it thoroughly with a systemic weedkiller. This is one that the leaves take in and transfer to the roots, so the entire plant gets killed.

Then just leave it, it takes a couple of weeks to work and initially the plant may even look healthier! When it eventually all dies you can pull off the tops and dispose of them. If you make a determined attack on it during the summer you will find there is much less of it the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm new to gardening, and while I wouldnt call myself an avid gardener I'm beginning to get an interest.

Anyway....my problem, I finally got a name to a weed that is covering my garden, as you can see from the title its bindweed. And from what I have read this is pretty much a never ending battle.

I bought my house recently, and it seems the previous owners have covered the ground in some sort of covering, which is then covered in bark. Looks nice, but as I tried to clear some of the bindweed i noticed that the roots are actually under the cover in the soil.

Any suggestions on a way of attacking this weed?

Oh how I empathise with you - I have a 200ft garden swamped with the stuff. I've tried the container lark (works well but i've just too much), bamboo canes, hand digging & four years on its still as bad as ever.

I'm currently in the process of digging a brand new "nursery bed', lifting all the shrubs out of the existing beds, hosing the root to make sure I'm not bringing anything with it & then using a Glyphosate week killer when the bindweed is in full growth.

If you have less than me you can use a Glyphosate Gel which can be painted on - time consuming but doesn't endanger your other plants.

Have a look here - pretty good article on it http://www.gardenseeker.com/weeds/bindweed_and_bellbind.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The more I read about this thing the more I facepalm. Well I'll stop pulling up the weeds and start trying a more controlled method of removing. Thanks for the tips and the links guys.....something tells me I could be at this a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Although too late for this year I found it helped to tackle it just before spring to remove the roots that have not died back.

I carefully pull mine and put it in the black bin.

Advertisement