Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEGAL ADVICE ON SECOND MARRIGE?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi folks. I need advice on behalf of a friend who has recently become engaged. His significant other popped the question last week and he said yes. There is one problem, he got married in a Texas courthouse about 6 years ago.

The first marriage ended on less the friendly terms and he has no current contact details for his ex (sort of) wife. He has tried old numbers and email addresses of his wife plus family and friends but it seems he has been well and truly cut off.

I realise this is far from an ideal situation and I have let him know how poor I think his choices have been but without wishing to get into too many private details I would be grateful if somebody could answer a few questions based on the following information.

He got married in a Texas courthouse, the marriage ceremony and legalities were mainly taken care off by his then bride to be so he cant remember exactly what documentation he supplied, I know I know :eek:.

Is this even a problem? His current fiance wants a church wedding so he will have to go through the usual proceedure here. Will there even be a record of his US marriage here in Ireland?

If this is a problem what is the quickest and cheapest way for him to sort this out bearing in mind he has no contact with his wife in Texas?

Is an annulment an option?

Any advice would be much-appreciated thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement