Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to study law?

• 30-09-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all

Ive started an IT masters and one of the modules is IT Law.

Ive no law experience at all - My back ground is in IT.
    So I am wondering how do I study it!
    We are already on our 2nd topic (3 weeks in) and holy god the amount of reading the lecturer has put up on the course is overwhelming.

Do I just read everything and make my own notes to go back to later??
    We also have access to the various law databases....when would I need to use this?
    Can anyone please advise how they studied law?
    Im at a bit of a loss as to where to start....and I dread falling behind.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It all depends on the topics and the type of exam being faced. Scrutiny of past papers is crucial. Most people start with the smallest book they can find on the topic and then read bigger and bigger books and the occasional case report.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'm from a similiar IT background so studying law, my impression, it was a bit wordly.
    I'd echo Jo King's post.
    My study method was to convert the legal principles into terms familiar to the IT world, such as pseduo-code (if-then-else) or do ad-hoc flow chart modeling of various cases. Once you get a grasp of the legal basics, it should begin to make more sense.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

sooty11 wrote: »
    Hi all

Ive started an IT masters and one of the modules is IT Law.

Ive no law experience at all - My back ground is in IT.
    So I am wondering how do I study it!
    We are already on our 2nd topic (3 weeks in) and holy god the amount of reading the lecturer has put up on the course is overwhelming.

Do I just read everything and make my own notes to go back to later??
    We also have access to the various law databases....when would I need to use this?
    Can anyone please advise how they studied law?
    Im at a bit of a loss as to where to start....and I dread falling behind.

Thanks

IT - Diagrams. They work for law too.
    Study - Read, note, diagram, repeat, re-read. Learn.
    Reading - Concept first, case to go with concept (one pro and one con) apply case to concept. Understand it.
    Databases, maybe if required to get cases. Most will be English or EU no doubt.

Study law with an interest! ... don't let the volume overwhelm. Break it down.

Key concept - Case/Statute - Answer. Keep it simple all the time and reject the mental temptation to see vast tracts of paper as a threat. Law is interesting particularly IT law.

Have fun too, it's important.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

Thanks guys. Thats great advise.

Lots of reading ahead then!

The way we are doing the course is by covering particular areas relating to IT law. So for example first topic was "identifying internet users". And we given several cases to read which touched on this subject.

Advertisement