Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you buy fake?

• 22-02-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Yes?
    No?

With Sunday markets and boot sales becoming ever more popular, fake items(contraban) such as DVDs, clothes, handbags, cosmetics, computer hard/software, music CDs and so on freely available to anyone who wants them and with theese items being so closley replecated its near impossible to tell the difference between real and fake with the naked untrained eye.
    it seems very little is done here in Ireland to prevent the sale of these goods.
    The market here is huge for fake goods and do you think the street sellers and market stall holders intend to make a few quid or do you think it supports more lucrative goings on??

Do you but fake?? 102 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    14% 15 votes
    Dont go out specificly to buy fake but partial to a bargain
    46% 47 votes
    Dont care
    39% 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Absolutely not, never willing buy fake and never will.

I don't think I've ever bought a fake item that I know of and I have a very good eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nope.

Personally I hate the look of fake football jerseys on kids. They look horrible. My kids will never wear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

KTRIC wrote: »
    Absolutely not, never willing buy fake and never will.

I don't think I've ever bought a fake item that I know of and I have a very good eye.

Just curious to see why alot of people feel so strongly against theese items,
    personaly ive never bought fake but i dont feel overly strong about it

Just curious to see why alot of people feel so strongly against theese items,
    personaly ive never bought fake but i dont feel overly strong about it

Purely for quality. I bought a pair of knock of Ray Bans and the frame broke within a month. That's my reason anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Purely for quality. I bought a pair of knock of Ray Bans and the frame broke within a month. That's my reason anyway.

A month? Wickid, can you PM me the details of where you bought them? Thanks in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Far bigger abuses of child labour apparently and as it's illegal,therefore unregulated,it doesn't even appear as a blip on the radar of the 'lefty for a year' brigade.

I totaly agree with cosmetic items or thinhs like ray-Bans because they offer protection against the suns harmful rays and cosmetics are desigmed to do a specific task that i dont think any fake can offer but when it comes to fashion and DVD or CDs, what do we do there because its the same film or music, its just the disc itself thats fake:confused:

I totaly agree with cosmetic items or thinhs like ray-Bans because they offer protection against the suns harmful rays and cosmetics are desigmed to do a specific task that i dont think any fake can offer but when it comes to fashion and DVD or CDs, what do we do there because its the same film or music, its just the disc itself thats fake:confused:

Download FTW with music/dvds.

I find the quality in clothes inferior tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

your a knock off nigel..your a knock off nigel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When it comes to digital media such as music/software (I would say dvds but the quality of those is so low it's not even worth buying. I don't know why in this day and age they continue to use the worst recording available) I'm not at all pushed.

Football jerseys are a money making scam. If I was inclined to buy one I wouldn't think twice about buying fake as you'll only get a years use out of it before the next one is out.

"genuine products" are priced way to high and I see nothing wrong with taking money out of they're pockets.

If I want cheap designer I just go to tkmax.

• Advertisement

stevoman wrote: »
    your a knock off nigel..your a knock off nigel!

Gonna have that bloody song stuck in my head now:mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i wouldn't ever purposely buy fake but the hollister jumper i'm actualy wearing now is probably fake, bought it thinking it looked real but i think now its not

Would any of you buy clothes on E-bay for the fear of them being fakes even though the ad might say genuine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I bought some legal Marijuana in a Head Shop one time*.

*Not really though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No, I'm far too wealthy to buy fraudulent goods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

FunkZ wrote: »
    I bought some legal Marijuana in a Head Shop one time*.

*Not really though.
    That's one area where the product must be genuine. :D

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's one area where the product must be genuine. :D

Ha yeah man, with the effort it takes sometimes I don't want a cheap rip off!

Then again it's never gonna be cheap anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I buy some cloths of the pakies, good and cheap. Whats wrong with that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

Don't know why anyone would buy fake goods.
    I save up and go to the states and get the real thing every 12-18 months, in case any revenue people are spying, yes of course i pay the import tax.

Joe (Bloggs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

all my stuff (clothes etc) are from cheapo shops and I hate designer stuff so no need to go fake there. I buy my cds from the internet which ensures they're cheap enough and when I'm a fan of the band I tend to like giving them the money!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

NO its easy to buy a DVD for €5 but i mean there is human suffering and trafficing behind some of the Big dealers was a Program about this the other Nite on BBC or CH4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Not a chance.

I'm not into designer labels anyway but even if I was I still wouldn't buy fakes, wouldn't trust that it hasn't come from a sweat shop and made by young children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Good thread.
    Anything I've bought that's been fake was unwittingly, like memory cards and such. I bought a pair of really good fake oakleys in mexico one time and liked them so much I saved up to get a real pair.
    Never buy fake video/music discs....I'm of the persuasion where I just illegally d/l most of it; I'll let you decide which is worse. Where I live if you buy them, you're either funding criminals or ex terrorists.
    Clothes, I don't see the point. I like a good label if I can afford it; fakes only cheapen the whole label if there's loads of them about.

The thing that does my head in about counterfeit stuff is the things like vodka or cigarettes and such where the package is all they need to fake and you're getting an inferior product sometimes being sold at close to RRP.

Where I live if you buy them, you're either funding criminals or ex terrorists
    I know the people who sell theese fake items are themselves classed as criminals as its against the law but i dunno about ex terrorists, maybee on the large scale of fake booze and tabacco.
    What about the people who buy them? are they just as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

No

Jay P wrote: »
    No

Great input there Jay P, Keep it up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Not into buying fake I have to say, however I don't see the problem with DVDs and CDs.

If someone is offering a good quality film at a reasonable price, what's the difference if you only look at it once or twice?

If you really like it you'll go on to buy the original - simple.

Record companies and Film makers refere to pirate DVDs and CDs as stolen,
    obviously not the disc but the contents of the disc.
    Sounds a bit harsh or even silly but when you take a second to think about it...
    Downloads are different because thier online and infront of you now.
    We herd all the stories of people getting thier PCs siezed for downloading music but was this just scare tactics??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Great input there Jay P, Keep it up:rolleyes:

Thanks. I'm not trying to get my post count up or anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I bought a pair of real ray-bans and the blooming things broke within a month. Put me off 'labled' sunglasses for good. They're just too delicate to be spending a fortune on imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

If the quality of the product being sold is equal to (or proportionately close to) the quality of the "real" item then I'll consider it, though price is a huge factor(lower the price the more lenient I am on quality).

Just to make this clear by the way folks, knock off or not almost all the clothes you buy are manufactured in sweatshops. To be honest most anything with "made in china" on it outside some of the high technology items is probably being manufactured in conditions you yourself would never want to be in(Like Mardi Gras Beads!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I know the people who sell theese fake items are themselves classed as criminals as its against the law but i dunno about ex terrorists, maybee on the large scale of fake booze and tabacco.
    What about the people who buy them? are they just as bad?

I live on the border, counterfeit goods were always a huge money spinner for the provos and even in our times of peace and ceasefires, counterfeit trade especially in optical discs is still ultimately controlled by "reformed" terrorists/criminals.
    In the North it's even worse. All those markets, Nutt's Corner, Jonesborough, all those van loads of fake sports gear, perfume, vodka, smokes and DVD/CD/games...that all goes to linign the pockets of either loyalist or republican groups. They mightn't be buying weapons or such with the proceeds, but they have mortgages to pay and extortion isn't the lucrative moneyspinner it once was.
    They haven't gone away you know...

Jay P wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm not trying to get my post count up or anything...

Say it like you mean it! :cool:

I have bought fake goods, like when I was around seven buying Robbie Williams first album in a market but I don't anymore. Then again I don't generally buy designer clothes, well not that I'd consider to be designer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Leeby wrote: »
    Not a chance.

I'm not into designer labels anyway but even if I was I still wouldn't buy fakes, wouldn't trust that it hasn't come from a sweat shop and made by young children.
    The real designer goods are very likely to have been made in a sweatshop also(There are exceptions of course). Even "Made in USA" tags aren't guaranteed, as a lot of these clothes are made in Saipan and other Northern Mariana Islands, which are governed by the US, but exempt from labour regulations.

I download music and films, so wouldn't be arsed buying pirate CDs/DVDs.

I'm not into designer clothes or clothes with advertising on them, so don't really have an opinion on buying "fake" clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i love picking up secon dhand CDs, but other than that, i always buy the proper, official cd, and dvds of stuff. after m usic, there's nothing im really passionate enough about to care how i came baout it, but music, i hate downloading, you're only getting half the prodcue tehn... wehre's the passion, where's the colours, where's the lyrics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have been wearing the same fake CK leather belt for 11 years, and its still holding my belly in, so theres value to be had in knock-offs. Also, buying a few Roolex, Tag Heur and Satch watches comes in handy if ever you need to look like a pimp

Clothing garments are a no-no, as are music and DVDs. I buy my CDs and am not a massive movie fan, so am happy with whatever is shown on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The only reason I would buy brand is for quality so no, I wouldn't buy knock offs.

i love picking up secon dhand CDs, but other than that, i always buy the proper, official cd, and dvds of stuff. after m usic, there's nothing im really passionate enough about to care how i came baout it, but music, i hate downloading, you're only getting half the prodcue tehn... wehre's the passion, where's the colours, where's the lyrics?
    Passion is in the music itself, album art and lyrics are available online....

There are a few arguments that I find slightly persuasive against downloading, having the physical CD and album art etc. is not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there are certain albums i'll still buy on vinyl, there's just something about the crackle of vinyl that you won't get on CD let alone download.

if the fake is up to or of even better quality than the original product then i'll buy it.

it's all about the quality to price ratio tbh, although i'm willing to pay big for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I just go abroad and get things real cheap. I'd spend less if I went to New York or Orlando for a week off season and bought enough clothes for a year.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote: »
    there are certain albums i'll still buy on vinyl, there's just something about the crackle of vinyl that you won't get on CD let alone download.
    There's no crackle on a vinyl in good condition, though the quality is much better than CD. I might look into getting a decent turntable and buy some of my favourite albums on vinyl in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Passion is in the music itself, album art and lyrics are available online....

There are a few arguments that I find slightly persuasive against downloading, having the physical CD and album art etc. is not one of them.

i love having the physical thing so much. i love having the time to get to know the album inside out, to know the art, the lyrics, the thankyous, i just really don't like downloading.

I never bought a fake myself but my brother unintentionally did. He bought what he thought was an iPod nano for my sister from a member of the travelling community (have to be pc on here, I wouldn't normally use that term!) and it turned out to be some Chinese knock off. I was the only one who spotted initially because I had an iPod mini and noticed that its user interface was totally different.

But no I wouldn't buy fakes, I get enough spam for fake watches as it is. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Karsini wrote: »
    He bought what he thought was an iPod nano for my sister from a member of the travelling community

Generally a smart move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's no crackle on a vinyl in good condition, though the quality is much better than CD. I might look into getting a decent turntable and buy some of my favourite albums on vinyl in the future.
    true, but i have some of my dad's old vinyl that i listen to now and again. i buy vinyl so that one day mine might sound like that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

hate fake DVDs - especially cams.

they're despicable.

funny to see dudes with €€€€ 'home cinema systems' who think they're clever because they've bought a cam version of a film that's not on DVD yet [for only €3, honest].

you spend thousands on a fancy telly, DVD player with surround sound and decide to watch a film that was recorded in a f*cking cinema with a camcorder.

wait a few months and you'll be able to buy the original DVD fairly cheaply - particularly if you shop online.
    Generally speaking though, the same w*nkers who buy cam DVDs don't have the brains to think outside the box
    - i.e. to them, real DVDs can only be purchased in HMV / Golden Discs / [insert name of overpriced high street shop here].

Why would you spend money buying a CAM DVD when you can just download it for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Why would you spend money buying a CAM DVD when you can just download it for free?

I'd say the reason is because most people who buy cams don't know how to download a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I dont buy fake product's. But then again I dont go in for label's either. The bulk of designer products are purchased by label hunters who care little for value for money. Without buying fake items one can save a fortune buying things which have no designer attached to it. It is not unusual for value products to thrash their designer counterparts in blind trials. Joseph Perrier Champagne @ €49.99 a bottle wiped the floor a couple of years ago against competitor's whose product was 4 or 5 times it's price. So not Dom Perignon but not fake either.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nope, never have and never will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement