Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid people - Warning - Rant

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

GRrrrrrrrr...:mad:

Last night on the M50 heading Northbound, mother in the car beside me (I'm driving). At some point before the Naas turnoff, we're going past all the work area, I'm in the left lane doing 60ish km - and all of a sudden I see a car pull out (from one of those gaps for the workmen) practically on top of me. He/She'd either no lights or dimmed lights, the M50 isn't that well lit - but I had my lights on full so they should have seen me. I mean I was literally a few seconds away from this gap when the EEJIT pulled out on top of me - I had to swerve into the other lane and sat on my horn fuming. THEN they turn on their full lights, no wave of apology, or hazard lights to indicate some sort of remorse for almost ploughing into my car (and my mother!!). :mad::mad: ABSOLUTE ----.... (It was too dark and I was too mad to catch the license reg as they were behind me, and my mother couldn't see it without her glasses).

I just could NOT believe someone would be so stupid as to pull out on top of a car, it's not like it was slow traffic or I was a good bit away, I was almost at the gap and there wasn't much traffic so I was going my speed limit. I'm lucky there was no-one in the right lane.

I was absolutely furious - they could have ploughed into my mother, or caused me to hit another car. And no apology or anything. :mad::mad::mad:

(p.s. I'm not supposed to be on this in work so it's a quick rant and run)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

First time I went on the M50, a few years ago. A taxi driver missed his exit and then proceeded to REVERSE back up the motorway. We (my friend who was driving and I) were obviously trundling along at 100km p/h, screamed at the top of our lungs and she swerved into the outside lane. Thank god there was nothing coming or I wouldn't be sitting here typing this. It was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me.

I mean really, reversing back up a motorway because you'd missed your exit. That's low for even taxi drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Not quite the same but similar I was driving into Waterford city (outside the spar past Woodies on the Cork road for anyone who knows the area).
    A couple were standing at the side of the road talking to someone when their kid (couldnt have been more than two, seems a little unsteady walking still) runs out from between them and straight across the road right in front of me.

Thankfully I was driving slightly below the speed limit because I barely stopped in front of him, if i'd had to swerve it would have been into a load of signs on a traffic island. I drive a pick up as well so if i'd hit him he'd probably have been killed.

So the mother saunters out, wont meet my eye picks up the child walks back over and resumes the conversation. I should have pulled in and given a piece of my mind but I was shaking out at the wheel at that stage, I had to drive down the road a bit and pull in somewhere.

****ing idiot.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Me on dual carriageway in bunratty. Them on same dual carriageway coming towards me. In my lane. Dumb tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Stupid people warning rant/

do people not know there is a motoring forum?

/end Stupid people warning rant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

MarkR wrote: »
    Me on dual carriageway in bunratty. Them on same dual carriageway coming towards me. In my lane. Dumb tourists.

Similar thing happened to me but it was an a round-about... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Very same thing happened to me on one of the roundabouts going up to Cork Airport Business Park yesterday morning. I was like a demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Similar but on a bike - in the cycle lane on the quays in Dublin - narrow at the side of the road with buses etc rushing past. Some guy comes down the cycle lane going the wrong direction - decided to let me pull out onto the road to pass even though I couldn't see the traffic behind me. I was fuming. Shouted at him that he going the wrong way and he smiled - don't think he spoke English. Grrr.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The worst I've ever come across was on the Tuam - Dunmore road (Co Galway) there's a series of hills in a row, I was doing about 100km+ coming up the the crest of the hill when I'm confronted with a dick head in a beamer over taking a car at the other side of the hill. He was along side the car and had no chance of over taking him before I'd get to him. This was a country road with no hard shoulder just mounds ether side. I was lucky there was a turn off which I dived into just as he came to me. This was a little dirt road I've no idea how I managed to dip into and out of it while doing, probably 80km at that stage. I would assume the vast majority of car crashes in the country happen that way as they all seem to be head on collisions. I think people doing 70km have to take part of the blame for these kind of accidents. If they where not driving so slow and annoying every other driver on the road there would be less of these dangerous overtaking maneuvers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Was driving home along the M50 about 8 years ago. Was late at night and I was fairly tired. In that kind of sleepy cocoon you get when you should really stop and get a coffee.

Anyway about 100 yards ahead of me a car comes bursting through the hedge in the middle at a diagonal towards me. I start braking hard and he slews across and past me and the car beside me within about 10 feet or .5 second and crashed into the side embankment.

Anyway I pulled in and ran up to the car and the driver was gone. Was found by the fire brigade in the median where he'd been thrown when he lost control.

At the coroners court they thought that he'd dropped his ciggies in the footwell and while scrabbling around to get them he lost control. He'd popped his seatbelt to stretch down between his knees.

Pretty stupid really. Scared the hell outta me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

ScumLord wrote: »
    The worst I've ever come across was on the Tuam - Dunmore road (Co Galway) there's a series of hills in a row, I was doing about 100km+ coming up the the crest of the hill when I'm confronted with a dick head in a beamer over taking a car at the other side of the hill. He was along side the car and had no chance of over taking him before I'd get to him. This was a country road with no hard shoulder just mounds ether side. I was lucky there was a turn off which I dived into just as he came to me. This was a little dirt road I've no idea how I managed to dip into and out of it while doing, probably 80km at that stage. I would assume the vast majority of car crashes in the country happen that way as they all seem to be head on collisions. I think people doing 70km have to take part of the blame for these kind of accidents. If they where not driving so slow and annoying every other driver on the road there would be less of these dangerous overtaking maneuvers.

Well, overtaking on a hill like that is dangerous but surely if you had been driving slower you would have had more time to react. Surely driving faster is not safer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

rant away my friend....rant away!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

star-pants wrote: »
    I was absolutely furious - they could have ploughed into my mother
    I ploughed your mother ;)

Just a few weeks ago, I approached a roundabout to take the 2nd exit (straight ahead), and a truck came from the 1st exit, didn't bother to stop for me at all, and just drove straight through. I broke late, as I expected him to stop and wait for me to pass, and ended up screeching to a halt. Then, as I sped up from a halt, proceeding to where I was going , someone coming from the same exit as the truck and beeped at ME. I drove away from this filled sheer confusion as to how these people are still alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Roundabouts......don't get me started on roundabouts.

Indicators seem to be a "sure if you feel like it at the time" after thought for most country folk.

The new exit to aldi is providing great dodge-em like experiences for me on my last few visits to Castlebar. One day i will get that rear-end comp dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

ScumLord wrote: »

So the person who was driving slower while approaching a dip in the road with no visibility, was the one in the wrong? Not you doing 100km on a country road, or the idiot who was overtaking?

Riiight.

the dee wrote: »
    Well, overtaking on a hill like that is dangerous but surely if you had been driving slower you would have had more time to react. Surely driving faster is not safer?
    It wouldn't have matter what speed I was doing when I came over the hill, he would have been on my side of the road if anything was different that day I'd be dead it was more or less fluke I got by. I doubt that guy was being held up by a slower car anyway, anyone willing to gamble they're lifes over taking on a blind hill is a complete dick and shouldn't be allowed in a car.

But you do have people on these roads driving way to slow and infuriating everyone behind them. It drives me nuts. You can clearly see they have more interest in talking to the person beside them than whats happening on the road in front of them. They usually do stupid things like braking in the middle of a corner, or slamming on the brakes at night when another car is coming towards them. Driving slow doesnt mean your driving safe either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'll give you a Muse album for your car and your ma if ya want?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think the world would be a far better place with 10,000,000 stone cold steve austins just wandering the earth and given carte blanche to sort out what they consider stupid ppl. i have faith in both his judgement and ability to stop idiocy spreading

Jazzy wrote: »
    i think the world would be a far better place with 10,000,000 stone cold steve austins just wandering the earth and given carte blanche to sort out what they consider stupid ppl. i have faith in both his judgement and ability to stop idiocy spreading
    By killing himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

To be fair, the Tuam Dunmore road is hardly the type of road you can be doing 100km++ on...............

To be fair, the Tuam Dunmore road is hardly the type of road you can be doing 100km++ on...............
    :confused: It's a fairly straight road theres' no reason to go less than 100km on most of it.

• Advertisement

Not anywhere after the Half Way house until you get around that bad bend, plus there's 1 or 2 other bad bends as well...... the only place you can put the foot down with ease is at the national school where the road is wide....

l...... the only place you can put the foot down with ease is at the national school where the road is wide....

I'm telling Gay Byrne about you lot.

ha ha just realised what I said!!! It's a school off the road though, as in there's a road parallel to the school which is blocked from the main road! I really should have read over my post first though eh!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

GRrrrrrrrr...:mad:

Last night on the M50 heading Northbound, mother in the car beside me (I'm driving). At some point before the Naas turnoff, we're going past all the work area, I'm in the left lane doing 60ish km - and all of a sudden I see a car pull out (from one of those gaps for the workmen) practically on top of me. He/She'd either no lights or dimmed lights, the M50 isn't that well lit - but I had my lights on full so they should have seen me. I mean I was literally a few seconds away from this gap when the EEJIT pulled out on top of me - I had to swerve into the other lane and sat on my horn fuming. THEN they turn on their full lights, no wave of apology, or hazard lights to indicate some sort of remorse for almost ploughing into my car (and my mother!!). :mad::mad: ABSOLUTE ----.... (It was too dark and I was too mad to catch the license reg as they were behind me, and my mother couldn't see it without her glasses).

I just could NOT believe someone would be so stupid as to pull out on top of a car, it's not like it was slow traffic or I was a good bit away, I was almost at the gap and there wasn't much traffic so I was going my speed limit. I'm lucky there was no-one in the right lane.

I was absolutely furious - they could have ploughed into my mother, or caused me to hit another car. And no apology or anything. :mad::mad::mad:

(p.s. I'm not supposed to be on this in work so it's a quick rant and run)

If your mother can't read the reg of a car without her glasses, she shouldn't really be on the road.

She wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Terry wrote: »
    If your mother can't read the reg of a car without her glasses, she shouldn't really be on the road.

Ahh he was driving or are you saying you cant travel in a car if your short sighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sueme wrote: »
    I'm telling Gay Byrne about you lot.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Terry wrote: »
    Last night on the M50 heading Northbound, mother in the car beside me (I'm driving).

I'll just highlight a different bit.

(thanks sueme btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

If you can't read this Terry, then you shouldn't be on boards.

(I'm kidding!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Abaddon

I was recently driving down a country boreen at 185kph, having a quiet beer and chatting away on the mobile, when suddenly, out of nowhere an old lady appears standing at the side of the road. I missed her by inches, but luckily i was able to reverse, punch her to the ground and then drive over her...

Advertisement