Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HQDC to Motorway

Options
  • 12-12-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Anyone know much on the NRA requesting that 500km of High Quality Dual Carraigeway be redesignated as Motorway.

Any idea what stretches of road this envolves ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Niall1234 wrote:
    Anyone know much on the NRA requesting that 500km of High Quality Dual Carraigeway be redesignated as Motorway.

Are you sure that wasn't looking for motorway limit of 120km/hr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

jd wrote:
    Are you sure that wasn't looking for motorway limit of 120km/hr?

No, I've heard rumours that stretches of HQDC that have an alternative route for tractors and L drivers will all be upgraded to Motorway with other stretches of HQDC being given a 120k speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Been hearing myself that its just a 100-120kmh upgrade. Like for the Ballincollig bypass in Cork, the Watergrasshill bypass, stuff like that. They'd get a 120kmh limit but not actual Motorway restrictions. I could be wrong though, I'd rather them ACTUALLY motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Been hearing myself that its just a 100-120kmh upgrade. Like for the Ballincollig bypass in Cork, the Watergrasshill bypass, stuff like that. They'd get a 120kmh limit but not actual Motorway restrictions. I could be wrong though, I'd rather them ACTUALLY motorway.

I think the Ballincollig bypass limit is ridiculously low but I would hate a 120 km/h hour limit with cyclists, tractors and people parked on the hard shoulder...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Niall1234 wrote:
    No, I've heard rumours that stretches of HQDC that have an alternative route for tractors and L drivers will all be upgraded to Motorway with other stretches of HQDC being given a 120k speed limit.
    Source of rumours?

I know the AA have been saying it but they don't have any powers in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Niall1234 wrote:

Do we even have 500km of HQDC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

kbannon wrote:

I presume this includes the unbuilt projects planned as HQDC (possibly even includes ones planned as standard DC - i.e. possibly including every DC listed here). Anyways - the following gives a taste of how you can manipulate nos. Someone with too much time can perhaps add all these up and see how lax the criteria have to be to get a figure of 500 km.

I think for example that the entire N8 up to Dunkettle, excluding the current M8, and planned M8 south of Portlaoise, would count - even though much of it is still under construction or planned.

N2 - Ashbourne bypass

N4 - existing DCs may have been included (the bit north of M4 is to be upgraded afaik - and south of Sligo may have been included)

As far as I know, pretty much the entire length of the N6 would be HQDC (apart from Mullingar bypass) once planned projects are built - I believe the planned Galway bypass is standard DC but may have been included.

N7 - HQDC; Limerick Southern Ring Road, Limerick-Nenagh and Nenagh-Castletown (possible Nenagh bypass depending on how seriously the junctions are upgraded and how decent a job is done on the dualling).

N9 - again, pretty much the entire length between end of M9 and the planned N25 Waterford Ring Road.

N11 - At least some of this - south of Newtownmountkennedy to Gorey?

N15 - Sligo to border with Leitrim

N17 - Possibly Galway (Athenry) to Tuam.

N18 - Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass (the Ennis bypass is apparently standard dual carriageway - the main difference seems to be two compact GSJs with LILO rather than full slips). Unknown DC status re: Crusheen to Athenry.

N20 - From N7 Limerick Ring Road to N21 split - approx 9.5 km. Possibly planned DC from south of Croom to south of Buttevant (north of Mallow)

N22 - Ballincollig Bypass

N25 - Waterford City Bypass? Maybe Cork Southern Ring when the other r'bouts are GSJed; but I dunno about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

From a noise pollution and traffic flow point of view it would probably be better off lowering the limit on the Cork south ring. Most of that road isn't up to HQDC standard anyway, especially the bits where they've tacked a third lane into what used to be the hard shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Far as I know, most if not all of the south ring will be 3 lane (from Kinsale rd to Bandon rd rounabouts) once they upgrade them.

That said, I dont think its worth upgrading to motorway. Although Im all for motorway status, its such a major route in Cork with arseways backroads as an alternative, that it would cause mayhem to make it motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kbannon wrote:
    Maybe they're counting each carriageway separately, like Dublin City Council did with cycle lanes!

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement