Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fed up of cat mess in garden

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

I have a bad problem with cats leaving a mess in my garden and now that we are coming back into grass cutting season, I'm fit to kill them! There are a lot of stray cats that come into my garden and it's next to impossible to walk about the grass without stepping into it. I ignored it over the winter and avoided the garden as much as possible, I was that frustrated but now the grass needs cutting again.
    I have tried 2 types of so-called cat repellent. What a waste of time! I spent 20mins yesterday speading these pellets all over my lawn only to find 3 cats out on the grass this a.m.! Last night I counted 20 plus "deposits" (in the back garden alone) and they were the ones I saw!
    I have contacted the local animal pound about these strays but nobody got back to me.
    I was then in Woody's tonight and they have these sensor type things that you put batteries into and install on the fence/something. Am a bit sceptical about these and they have a nice price tag of Eur25/29 each. I would need one front and back and am slow to buy them unless anyone can vouch here that they work?
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Sparkles78

Hi Paddles,

I would also like to know if people recommend the sensor thing you mentioned.

My brother has one of these and swears by them, he had a problem with cats last year so got one of these and hasn't had a problem since. They give off a very high pitched noise when the cat walks past them.

Now for the real test... my mother in law is having a problem like yours at the moment, she has 18 cats living next door to her and is fed up with the mess and smell in her garden. So, last friday I borrowed the sensor off my brother to see if it would work for her... I was in her house on saturday and seen 2 cats, one on the wall and one in her garden! I am giving it more time to see if it works... fingers crossed it does

If anyone else has one please let us know how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I am not trying to be funny here. My experience is that practically the only solution is to get a cat yourself. Preferably a female, as they are extremely territorial.

I've no idea whether any of those other solutions work. Since I got my own 2, there has been a marked decrease in cat mess on the lawn.However they do use the flowerbeds themselves. Ours.Not our neighbours - who also have 3 cats. We've covered our beds in bark, and given them a composty patch right at the back of the garden to try and keep them away from the rest of the beds.So far it's working ok.Fingers crossed.

If you find another solution, please let us know, but in all seriousness, fighting fire with fire seems to work best here.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Thanks.
    Sparkles,I'd like a bit more evidence before I purchase as I would need at least 2 of them and that's 50-60 euro.
    danD - appreciate the suggestion but I'm away some w'ends so not practical to have a pet(s) of my own at the moment.
    Looking out again at 3 cats in the garden. Those pellets are definitely a white elephant! Even though they had a very strong smell off them, which I reckoned was to keep the cats away, it evidently is a waste of time, or these cats can't smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm don't know how those sensor things work, but we were plagued with cats in the front garden, our garden has bark chippings in the front. They drove me fecking mental, especially as I don't like cats at all (I'd never hurt one now, but I most certainly wouldn't have one).

Anyway, my sister in lay gave me some tips, and I have to say they worked a charm

Rub any wood with orange or citrus oil

Put orange skins in the garden

Put crushed up MOTH BALLs in the garden. Also leave some soaking in
    water for a few days and put the water into a sprayer and spray on the walls etc

They worked for me at a total cost of about 15euro including the sprayer!

Interesting, Racquel but how often do you need to re-apply/ replenish?

I get the orange peel and citris, that's easy enough to do but moth-balls???

(while orange peel won't look too good on my lawn, guess it's better than cat s**t :mad:

Fortunately I don't have any about the house, that I'm aware of....yet!

• Advertisement

paddles wrote: »
    Interesting, Racquel but how often do you need to re-apply/ replenish?

I get the orange peel and citris, that's easy enough to do but moth-balls???

(while orange peel won't look too good on my lawn, guess it's better than cat s**t :mad:

Fortunately I don't have any about the house, that I'm aware of....yet!

I used to do it once a week, seemed to suffice.

Cats apparently don't like the smell of moth balls, but that's the only explanation I have (sorry :o) It was I tried and it worked. I always spray the "mothball Water" on my walls too, keeps em off it.

All I can say is, is that it worked for me I just not sure how or why it worked:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My parents are plagued with cats digging up their flower beds too; I'll have to let them know about the moth balls.

The only thing to be wary of leaving orange peels around the place is that they attract slugs like nobody's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Had this problem before, but used these 'cat repellent crystals' and they really worked:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Garden-Repellent-Crystals-450g/dp/B000LS57O0/ref=pd_sim_lp_2

These are on Amazon for £3, but I bought mine in a Pet Shop and paid about €7. They are green jelly-like crystals that you sprinkle on your lawn/flowerbeds and they omit an odour that repels cat's. I put mine down 18months ago, and even though the crystals disintegrated after 6 weeks, cats have never used my garden as a toilet since, even though they are only supposed to last for a couple of applications.

There are mixed reviews on Amazon but they definitely worked for me.......

kylith wrote: »
    The only thing to be wary of leaving orange peels around the place is that they attract slugs like nobody's business.

I didn't notice slugs, but I'm not really into my garden, it's where my young kids play, so that was reason enough for me to want to get rid of the cats, so slugs were not foremost in my mind and I wouldn't have looked for them. Mothballs on their own should do the trick too!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

They are marking their territory - so you should mark it as yours. My other half did it - we grow veg and he had to pee around the veg beds - it works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 mattcc70

I have tried sprays, powders, orange and lemon peel to no avail. I sooo feel your pain. I have a 15 month old child and had the argument with my neighbour about her cats sh**e. I suggested that like my daughter she rub her hands in it then wipe it all over her clothes if its not a problem :) I have now found a place in Stradbally Co. Laois that sells electric fence wire. Costs about €120 for average house and the unit is battrery operated. Buying next weekend so will let you know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

jack russell.

Had this problem before, but used these 'cat repellent crystals' and they really worked:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Garden-Repellent-Crystals-450g/dp/B000LS57O0/ref=pd_sim_lp_2

These are on Amazon for £3, but I bought mine in a Pet Shop and paid about €7.

Tried getting on Amazon but they don't post to Ireland - meh!
    Might give them a go too. Will try everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi Paddles,
    Not quite the same but my parents had a problem with a stray tom coming in to their garden and sitting in front of their window staring at their own cat, causing mayhem at 4 in the morning! My mother sprinkled pepper around the front of the window and around the window sill and they haven't had the problem for a whole week so far, so that could be an inexpensive thing to try.

Will give them a go first. If not I'm gonna try frying them ! Btw e-mailed the same to the ISPCA who said try all the usual if not recommended investing in hand sanitiser. I'm thinking thanks guys so let my kids roll around in cat ****e all day then wash there hands. legends.......

There may be a GOD!I have since heard about a plant that deters cats and dogs

Coleus Canina
    is also known as the "pee-off plant" or the "scaredy cat" coleus. Thing is, I can't find it! Tried a couple of plant places in Meath. The one near the M3 is currently out of stock. Hopefuly they get more of them soon. In the meantime, anyone else know where I can get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

OP dont know if its an myth, but I heard leaving around plastic bottles filled with water helps. Allegedly, they see their reflection and think there are other cats around. Might be worth a try, maybe in combo with some of the other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Sparkles78 wrote: »
    my mother in law is having a problem like yours at the moment, she has 18 cats living next door to her and is fed up

That is unacceptable, your MIL really needs to get onto the DSPCA about that and insist something is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

Airsoft forum ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

sparks24 wrote: »
    Airsoft forum ;)

Red card given.Advocating animal cruelty is not allowed here.

• Advertisement

paddles wrote: »
    There may be a GOD!I have since heard about a plant that deters cats and dogs

Coleus Canina
    is also known as the "pee-off plant" or the "scaredy cat" coleus. Thing is, I can't find it! Tried a couple of plant places in Meath. The one near the M3 is currently out of stock. Hopefuly they get more of them soon. In the meantime, anyone else know where I can get them?

Johnstown garden centre in Naas do them, €3.00 each plus delivery. (they have a great website). I will defo try them as the bottle never worked and the crystals had zero effect.

As I said earlier, The Ispca, council and Dog Wardens don't want to know as cats are classed as wild, even if they have owners ! The only thing your mother can do is call the Cat Protection League. If they are not being looked after or mistreated they might take them away but don't hold your breath.

mattcc70 wrote: »
    Johnstown garden centre in Naas do them, €3.00 each plus delivery. (they have a great website). I will defo try them as the bottle never worked and the crystals had zero effect.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! THEY DON'T WORK! 2 WEEKS LATER AND SAME PROBLEM!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Are they strays or do they have owners do you know?
    Would you consider gettting a cat of your own to counteract the behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I hate cats coming into my garden, iv 2 kids who play out on the swings most days and dont want them falling into cat ****, iv also 2 dogs in a pen in the back who go mad when a cat comes in sight, its like they taunt the dogs knowing they cant get out at them. My estate is full of cats, half of them id say are strays or half feral from people just letting their pets roam free, mate and have litter upon litter. pisses me off when i have to clean up their mess and my other half is finding **** in the flower pots. a few traps and a trip to the fields is on the cards for my local cat population

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

a few traps and a trip to the fields is on the cards for my local cat population

So you're going to solve your cat problem by relocating it so it's some other poor sod's cat problem?

Have you tried speaking to your neighbours? Why don't you get a few pissed off residents together, come up with a plan and leaflet the local houses saying you all want to talk about it? That might be nicer than relocating some child's pet to a field where it'll make its way to the nearest house.

If you discover nobody owns them you can organise for a large scale trapping exercise and turn them over to rescue for rehoming or euthanasia, as opposed to allowing them roam and starve, or decimate the wildlife, or spread disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

So you're going to solve your cat problem by relocating it so it's some other poor sod's cat problem?

Have you tried speaking to your neighbours? Why don't you get a few pissed off residents together, come up with a plan and leaflet the local houses saying you all want to talk about it? That might be nicer than relocating some child's pet to a field where it'll make its way to the nearest house.

If you discover nobody owns them you can organise for a large scale trapping exercise and turn them over to rescue for rehoming or euthanasia, as opposed to allowing them roam and starve, or decimate the wildlife, or spread disease.
    No. i would not be making them anyone elses problem

Iv spoke to alot of the neighbours and we know which ones are pets and which are not, just last week the kids spotted 5 new kittens in the estate, its a joke the way people let this go on. myself and a neighbour were talking about the amount of cats about this time last year and he said they had called the council and rescues and had no luck as they were not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Get a dog :D A terrier :D

They will soon get the message thats theres a king of the castle around.

I decided to go for a new approach. Got some tennis balls from the pound shop and seems to have worked. No ****e in the garden for three weeks now (fingers crossed), It's kinda fun as well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement