Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Traffic

Options
  • 18-11-2007 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I'm from Cork so I don't often have to travel through Limerick.

On Sunday afternoon it took me 1 and 3/4 hours to get from the Ennis side of Limerick out onto the Tipperary Town road.

Is traffic always this bad ? I can't imagine what its like during rush hour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

It's usually not like this on Sundays but there was a Heineken Cup match in Thomond Park and another match at the Gaelic Grounds, which obviously means traffic disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It took me 80 minutes to get from Shannon to the Childers Rd this afternoon. The traffic was backed up from town to back past the radisson hotel, i went in through meelick, caherdavin, LIT. It was feckin awful, only took me 25 minutes to get back to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

I'm fairly sure its the worst traffic jam I've EVER encountered.

What the traffic there usually like.

I'm used to Cork City traffic, which with the exception of the Blackpool bypass, is not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Cork has it lucky, most evenings in rush hour the Ennis side is backed up to the roundabout (dont know the name) near where the DC ends. Dreadful.

Roll on the bypass, hows that going thesedays, havent heard the latest news.

Cork has it lucky, most evenings in rush hour the Ennis side is backed up to the roundabout (dont know the name) near where the DC ends. Dreadful.

Roll on the bypass, hows that going thesedays, havent heard the latest news.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot more alternative routes to split the traffic in Cork allied to more routes exiting the city. Added in a complete South Ring Road, unlike Limerick and you can see why Cork is so much better.

Cork could well have the best traffic management of any city in Ireland. Imagine what it will be like when they do fly overs for Sarfield and Bandon roundabouts, have the North Ring Road completed and if they ever get about making the Dunkettle Interchange, roundabout free ala the Red Cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Childers Road is just a nightmare...and i dont even want to imagine what it'll be like when The Parkway Valley place opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Niall1234 wrote: »
    I'm from Cork so I don't often have to travel through Limerick.

On Sunday afternoon it took me 1 and 3/4 hours to get from the Ennis side of Limerick out onto the Tipperary Town road.

Is traffic always this bad ? I can't imagine what its like during rush hour.
    Well at least you got the Limerick Tunnel to look forward to, as someone else said though it was because of the rugby match.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well at least you got the Limerick Tunnel to look forward to, as someone else said though it was because of the rugby match.

You sure ? Considering the state of Thomond Park there must have only been 8 or 9000 at it.

European Nights at Turners Cross in Cork draw a 10,000 crowd with a near nil effect on traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was easily the worst traffic ive ever seen in Limerick, you cant blame the match in Thomond Park, it was half 4 when i was going in there, the match was well over by that stage. And the Ennis Rd and back to the Radisson has nothing to do with the traffic in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

There was a 13,200 crowd at Thomond Park. A large proportion of this crowd traveled from around the province.( at turners the majority of the crowd is local) This means after the game these people had to cross the river on one of the three bridges and drive through the city centre thus creating traffic jams in the city that can take a few hours to clear. Turners Cross is right next to the ring road so the traffic can dissapate quickly

• Advertisement
Advertisement