Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork NRR Junctions

Options
  • 31-03-2007 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Anyone have any idea what sort of Junctions are being planned ?

1. Cork NNR - N8. I'm guessing here that they'd go for a free flow junction something similar to the Ringaskiddy road junction on the SRR. Anyone know the exact placement ? I'm guessing maybe 1/2 mile beyond the flyover for Glanmire ?

2. With the N20. Surely this will be a standard full cloverleaf ?

3. N22. Won't even comment here. Has any decision been made yet on where the CNRR is going to meet this road ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Well as long as they dont stuff roundabouts in on the mainline it shouldnt be too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I don't think the NRA are fussed on cloverleafs due to the weaving issues, so I would expect partially unrolled cloverleafs at any future very major junctions. Partially unrolled cloverleafs are just as freeflow, but they need a few extra bridges/underpasses. It would be nice to have these on a well laid out scale rather than the compressed versions that will be present on the M50.

The new N20/N7 Limerick SRR junction will also be partially unrolled cloverleaf, albeit simpler as it will be a partial junction (two movements missing; N20 northbound and N7 westbound to Childers Road). I don't know whether it will be more spacious than the M50 junctions. It's a good omen for any other inter-dual carriageway junctions that the one in Limerick is getting this treatment.

FWIW the proposed Rossbrien interchange (N18,N17,N6) meetup in Galway will be partial freeflow, if thats any help to plans.

Bottom layer will be the N6 mainline, middle layer will be a big roundabout, top layer will be N18-N17 (one dual carriageway renumbered halfway across). Simple freeflow slips where convenient.

Bottom layer will be the N6 mainline, middle layer will be a big roundabout, top layer will be N18-N17 (one dual carriageway renumbered halfway across). Simple freeflow slips where convenient.

That would be a first in Ireland (I believe there are a number of these in the UK). A pity they couldn't use freeflow loops and avoid having the big roundabout layer, but it'll be cheap I guess and traffic levels probably will mean there won't be big queues on the roundabout approaches, considering the distance from the city (near Athenry I believe rather than Oranmore).

If that's the case for the N6/N17/N18 DCs junction, there's probably no guarantee at all of what might be used on the Cork NRR.

Yeah its going to be quite an impressive interchange :D

Details (EIS, maps,etc) here -

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/

• Advertisement

I'd looked at the N6 maps, and indeed the N18 ones; but I hadn't looked clicked the link on the N18 "Oranmore"-Gort with the details on that junction, nor had I noted it on the map!

I like those interactive maps, fairly swish - someone was having fun with flash!

Advertisement